Words, Phrases & Passages in the Lord of the Rings

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Words, Phrases & Passages in the Lord of the Rings

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I received today my copy of Parma Eldalamberon XVII, Words, Phrases & Passages in The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (edited by Christopher Gilson. This is the first of the periodicals put out the be folks at ELF, The Elvish Linguistic Fellowship that I have purchased. This is document that was written by Tolkien in the years following the publication of LOTR, in some places polished and others very rough. Linguist Christopher Gilson took on the task of editing this work (and in some places interpreting Tolkien's difficult handwriting) with the blessing and encouragement of Christopher Tolkien and the Tolkien Estate. It is not a work for anyone. It is difficult reading, to say the least, but chock full of surprising information. One thing that really leaps out from this document is just how much LOTR was tied into the greater mythology in Tolkien's mind.

I'll bet that my friend N.E. Brigand could say a lot more about this work, if he chooses to.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

So, why's it called Words, Phrases & Passages ?
What exactly is the volume about?
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Voronwë the Faithful

Parma Eldalamberon 'The Book of Elven-tongues' is a journal of the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship, a special interest group of the Mythopoeic Society. The current issue is a commentary by J. R. R. Tolkien from the late 1950s and early 1960s concerning the words and names from his invented languages incorporated into The Lord of the Rings. This commentary has been edited and annotated by Christopher Gilson, with the permission and guidance of Christopher Tolkien and the Tolkien Estate.

"Words, Phrases and Passages" is a collection of notes on the Quenya, Sindarin, Dwarvish, Rohirric and Black Speech examples occurring in The Lord of the Rings, with detailed translations and syntactic explanations, together with a discussion of the etymologies of the various words and names. For the Elvish examples these are traced back to their Common Eldarin roots. The entries were arranged by Tolkien in the order in which the words and phrases occurred in the story and this arrangement has been preserved in this edition.

Although Tolkien never completed the commentary as originally planned, he retained the more cursory list of words and names from which he was working; and he continued to compose further notes on the grammar and history of the Elvish words and names in the story. Many of these were placed together with "Words, Phrases and Passages," and the main commentary has been supplemented by these notes in this edition. Together these texts give the clearest picture we have of how Tolkien conceived of his linguistic inventions in the forms they were revealed to his readers.

In many of the notes in "Words, Phrases and Passages" Tolkien expresses hesitation about his preliminary explanations, or notices discrepancies between elements occurring in more than one context. The notes show how his reconsideration at this time of his invented languages sometimes led to revisions in the text of The Lord of the Rings as it was published in the 2nd edition of 1965. They also show how Tolkien achieved new insights into the etymological explanation of certain words and names.

Many of the entries in "Words, Phrases and Passages" mention the roots of the Elvish components under discussion, and this edition includes an index of these roots. During this period Tolkien also compiled several lists and collections of roots and the words derived from them. These etymologies have been combined with the index into a single list alphabetically arranged by root, providing a fairly comprehensive overview of his conception of the stock of basic elements that underlie the Elvish languages.

The entries in "Words, Phrases and Passages" have been annotated to point out their connections with the examples of Tolkien's invented languages included in his other writings, such as The Silmarillion; Unfinished Tales; Letters; and The History of Middle-earth. This edition also includes an index, arranged by language, of all words and phrases that are glossed within the entries of main list and the list of roots.
http://www.eldalamberon.com/parma17.html
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

That sounds very cool, like his Note to Translators in A Tolkien Compass. Enjoy, Voronwë!
N.E. Brigand

Re: Words, Phrases & Passages in the Lord of the Rings

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:I received today my copy of Parma Eldalamberon XVII... This is a document that was written by Tolkien in the years following the publication of LOTR, in some places polished and others very rough... It is difficult reading, to say the least, but chock full of surprising information....
I'll bet that my friend N.E. Brigand could say a lot more about this work, if he chooses to.
You've said about all that I could hope to: except that this edition actually presents several texts. I'm not a linguist, nor as thoroughly familiar with Tolkien's legendarium as some here. I have no overall take on this difficult material yet, other than fascination at Tolkien's work.

A few nuggets have already been posted several places on the internet: for instance, Tolkien writes that Sauron's original name (within the story) was "Mairon". And the Maiar, when "unclad", might be noticed by their odor: and those who had been corrupted stank.
One thing that really leaps out from this document is just how much LOTR was tied into the greater mythology in Tolkien's mind.
Could you expand on what you mean by that?
MithLuin wrote:That sounds very cool, like his Note to Translators in A Tolkien Compass.
An apt comparison, but this is more technical in nature. Also, Nomenclature of The Lord of the Rings (which was republished in slightly expanded form in Hammond and Scull's Companion to LotR) is a relatively finished work, whereas this is more like HoMe, with different comments on the same word that contradict each other.
Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand wrote:
One thing that really leaps out from this document is just how much LOTR was tied into the greater mythology in Tolkien's mind.
Could you expand on what you mean by that?
I'll try. :) I was thinking of a comment that was made in another thread that Tolkien's connection in his mind of LOTR and the Silmarillion as one great tale of the Wars of the Jewels and the Rings was "after the fact". Well, these documents don't necessarily contradict that since they were written after LOTR's publication, but just glancing through, I am struck at how much of the material relates to people, places and things (and concepts) in 'the Silmarillion'. And, of course, the item that you filled me in about that sparked my interest in obtaining a copy of the publication -- regarding the question of the Valar erring in bringing the Eldar to Valinor, certainly fits in that category in spades.

The fact that so many of the words, phrases and passages in LOTR relate to the Silmarillion would, to me at least, suggest that the two works were very connected in Tolkien's mind when he was writing LOTR. At least that's how my addled mind sees it right now.
I'm not a linguist, nor as thoroughly familiar with Tolkien's legendarium as some here.
I don't know about the latter, that's for sure. As for being a linguist, you saw how much of a linquist I am. ;) As did Mr. Gilson and his three friends. :help:
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:As for being a linguist, you saw how much of a linquist I am. ;) As did Mr. Gilson and his three friends. :help:
Fortunately you weren't addressing linguistic issues. At least not directly. With Tolkien there's always a good chance that a philological concept underlies a given aspect of the plot.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:I was thinking of a comment that was made in another thread that Tolkien's connection in his mind of LOTR and the Silmarillion as one great tale of the Wars of the Jewels and the Rings was "after the fact". Well, these documents don't necessarily contradict that since they were written after LOTR's publication, but just glancing through, I am struck at how much of the material relates to people, places and things (and concepts) in 'the Silmarillion'. And, of course, the item that you filled me in about that sparked my interest in obtaining a copy of the publication -- regarding the question of the Valar erring in bringing the Eldar to Valinor, certainly fits in that category in spades.

The fact that so many of the words, phrases and passages in LOTR relate to the Silmarillion would, to me at least, suggest that the two works were very connected in Tolkien's mind when he was writing LOTR. At least that's how my addled mind sees it right now.
It seems self evident that Tolkien would use the words and languages that he has been working on for decades in any work set in the same world. How that addresses the point we discussed is what I'm confused about. There's no more correlation implied by that than there is by the fact that the Ered Luin appear on both the Map of Beleriand and Middle Earth. Which brings up an interesting point. Despite being set in the same "world" LotR and Silmarillion share very little. The style of writing, the geography and even the chief protagonists differ completely. Hobbits don't even appear in the Silmarillion, yet they are reverse engineered back into the mythology through references to Rohirric myths. This is probably the most obvious "after the fact" adjustment.

However, the one that interests me most is that of Geography. The breaking of the World and the drowning of Beleriand has always troubled me. Its just feels like a fudge. The very concept of sinking an area the size of Europe under the water is catastrophic by any standards, yet it merits only a few sentences in the legendarium. No reference to how the entire population of that area was evacuated. What of the Ents? The Kelvar and Olvar? Once again this feels more like Tolkien simply needed a blank canvas for LotR, so he just tied it back together later.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Actually, Al, the Drowning of Beleriand was already part of the Legendarium before The Lord of the Rings was ever conceived, as was the Fall of Númenor.

I am still waiting for The History of the Hobbit- but from what JDR has posted on Mythsoc, it appears that at an early stage Bilbo's adventures occurred in vaguely the Silmarillion geography, it developed into an entirely new landscape, and that perforce became that of the LR as well. (IMO, one shadow of the earlier conception is the "Edge of the Wild" running at the feet of the Misty Mountains, I suspect a last trace of the Ered Luin marking the limit of civilized settlement. On Tolkien's earliest Hobbit map, the river courses look suspiciously like those of Ossiriand) I think in the very earliest stage, the Mountains were the Eredwethion and the Great River was Sirion.

In general there was very little First Age backwriting to match up with Lord of the Rings (Galadriel, the Ents, nicer Dwarves). OTOH, almost *all* the history of the Third Age, and much of the Second, was in fact invented during the writing of the Appendices (save the vague general history as it appears in the main narrative).

One noteworthy snippet in this volume has largely settled a very old Balrog-wingish debate: "Uruk-hai" does indeed translate "Orc-folk," and applies to all big soldier-orcs, not just Saruman's lovelies.
Voronwë the Faithful

solicitr wrote:I am still waiting for The History of the Hobbit- but from what JDR has posted on Mythsoc, it appears that at an early stage Bilbo's adventures occurred in vaguely the Silmarillion geography, it developed into an entirely new landscape, and that perforce became that of the LR as well. (IMO, one shadow of the earlier conception is the "Edge of the Wild" running at the feet of the Misty Mountains, I suspect a last trace of the Ered Luin marking the limit of civilized settlement. On Tolkien's earliest Hobbit map, the river courses look suspiciously like those of Ossiriand) I think in the very earliest stage, the Mountains were the Eredwethion and the Great River was Sirion.
That's interesting, soli. I don't recall seeing those comments (perhaps they were before I joined that list). For those who may be wondering, "JDR" is John D. Rateliff, author of The History of the Hobbit.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I have always been struck by the structural similarities, even in the final versions, between Beleriand and of "Middle-earth" as shown on the LOTR map. Squint and they could be different renderings of the same landscape. There are several possible reasons for this, but it would make a lot of sense for them to be, in fact, descendants of the same ur-map in JRRT's head.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

That's interesting, soli. I don't recall seeing those comments (perhaps they were before I joined that list). For those who may be wondering, "JDR" is John D. Rateliff, author of The History of the Hobbit.
Vor, everything following "IMO" is my own guesswork.

Of course, it is rather indisputably the case that Tolkien had certain "Ur-images" in his head that found their way into both works: in fact his picture "Mirkwood" is simply copied from an earlier painting of Taur-nu-fuin; and the Elvenking's Halls in Mirkwood descend directly from Menegroth (and in pictures certainly resemble T's visoon of Nargothrond as well).

I have (speculation alert) a notion that the map-equivalency may have survived into the earliest drafts of the Lord of the Rings- I find it especially interesting that at one stage Moria was *explicitly* ancient Nogrod; and it appears that during this evanescent phase Nogrod remains in the southern Blue Mountains, just as Moria is in the Hithaeglir south of Rivendell and the High Pass; and then as the LR geography took shape Nogrod/Moria was bodily moved to the Misties, before Tolkien finally decided that they were different places.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

BTW, there isn't anywhere in Hobbit a suggestion that Orcrist had an ivory scabbard, is there? Elrond (in "A Short Rest") identifies it as the King of Gondolin's sword; and in the notes at the end of "Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin" Turgon's sword is said to be in a "ruel-bone sheath."
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Off topic, solictr, what is your avatar? It seems it's a mounted warrior with a scramasax. not something I have seen before.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

It would be a Wuffing who asked!

It's the earliest known portrait of an Iceling- Aethelbald of Mercia. Given the total lack of proportion (note the toy horse and the 'buckler'), I imagine that the 'seax' is just a poor depiction of a sword.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

solicitr wrote: In general there was very little First Age backwriting to match up with Lord of the Rings (Galadriel, the Ents, nicer Dwarves).
The elves in the Sil and LOTR bore little resemblance to the elves of the Hobbit.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

I'm not quite sure what your point is- the Elves of the LR are very much those of the Silmarillion- save perhaps being sadder but wiser.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

But consider the Hobbit Elves: singing Tra-la-la-lally, down here in the valley! And the Elvish butler getting drunk. I haven't read The Hobbit in many years, but I remember being struck by the completely different "flavor" the Elves had.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Legolas shows a keener interest in the wine than the pipeweed at Merry and Pippin's alfresco meal at Isengard.

The way I rationalise the difference in tone between The Hobbit and LOTR is that the Hobbit is a tale turned into an entertainment by Bilbo to amuse his fellow hobbits, perhaps the hobbit children who used to visit him whereas LOTR is a narrative record intended to be an honest account by scholars.
Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:And, of course, the item that you filled me in about that sparked my interest in obtaining a copy of the publication -- regarding the question of the Valar erring in bringing the Eldar to Valinor, certainly fits in that category in spades.
I wanted to say some more about this. This statement is an aside in long entry (perhaps the longest in the work) on the root "PHAN". The "basic sense of this stem" is as a cover, or "veil". In Sindarin it was "frequently used of clouds in the sky, as veils over the blue heaven or the sun, moon, stars." Tolkien gives an example of its use in this context in LOTR of the name of the mountain Fanuidhol, "Cloudyhead".

However, in Quenya the form "Fana" developed a special sense: it described the "visible bodily forms adopted by the Valar and their kind." It is said that "The Valar and Maiar cloaked their true-being in fanar (veils) after the manner of bodies of Elvish-kind. Tolkien points out that since the fanar of the Valar and Maiar usually appeared 'radiant" (as if lit or suffused by a light from within) the word acquired an additional sense of shining shape. Thus even word fanya for cloud acquired the additional sense and was used only for clouds that were sunlit or moonlit, or gilded or silvered at the edges by light behind them. Thus in Galadriel's Lament in LOTR, Varda's hands are compared poetically to clouds, "white and shining still above the rising darkness that swiftly engulfed the shores and the mountains and at last her own vast majestic figure on Taniquetil.

Another interesting fact that Tolkien points out is that even when unclad, the Valar could be perceived by some of the Eldar as lights of different hues, whereas the Maiar were not visible while unclad, but could be identified by their fragrance. However, as Brigand noted earlier, he further points out that those of the Maiar corrupted by Melkor "stank", and thus could only deceive the Eldar when clad in their fanar (which presumably concealed their smell, I guess). Tolkien states that the spirits corrupted by Melkor could appear in fair forms to the Eldar, but only up to the time of the destruction of the trees. However, that raises a very interesting question about Sauron (or Mairon, as Brigand notes he was originally called). For Sauron was able appear in fair forms to the Eldar well into the Second Age of Middle-earth. This implies a degree of independence from Melkor far greater than that of the other spirits corrupted by him. Very interesting, indeed!