Mythopoeic Society Conference in Berkeley August 2007

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's a very good observation, Prim. The history does bear it out. When Tolkien first contacted his publisher about the Silmarillion (after the Hobbit was a success) but before LOTR was written), he got a negative reaction. And then, when LOTR was finally finished, he was unable to convince either Allen and Unwin or Collins to publish the two works (roughly equal in length, according to Tolkien) together. On the other hand, once LOTR was such a major success, there was a lot of pressure put on Tolkien to finish and publish the Silmarillion, but I still wouldn't be surprised if there was some lingering reticence about the work.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
(Hmmmm- did his publishers give him a maximum numer of pages?)
That was the very first question that was asked at my presentation. I do suspect that there was tremendous pressure from the publisher to get something finished, and I wouldn't be surprised if they insisted that he stay within certain limits.
That wasn't precisely my question, but in the end it amounts to the same thing: the likelihood that the volume of content CT could include was limited by the publishers.

As I'm reading The Sil through again I've noted that CT points to works ("The Lay of [Such and Such]") where a story is told in more detail elsewhere. This rather reminds me of those occasions where his father referred to such things in LOTR. I am inclined to think that CT had hoped to later publish those works, which in fact they were in HOME.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

It occurred to me yesterday morning while working in the yard that I don't think anyone mentioned the Clerihew contest. Did anyone else submit an entry? I composed mine within minutes of arriving at the conference:

Old Tom Bombadil
Wore great yellow boots that none other could fill!
He wed sweet Goldberry
Which is undoubtedly why he was so merry!
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

Post by Dân o Nandor on Anduin »

Just adding my belated bravos Voronwë, not only to your splendid performance at MythCon, but your name & project being a topic amongst scholars on the MythSoc list!

:bow:

I knew you could do it, I only wish I could have been there to see it (but was at the 2nd best gathering that weekend half a world away – where I insisted on a toast to you just hours before you were to speak). ;)

And now you’re not just wanted, but requested even, by Anthony and Jessica. Well, if you’re able to fit them into your schedule next year, I may be able to see you speak in Connecticut after all – possibly on your forthcoming book! :D

Full steam ahead O Faithful One!

:) :) :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks, dna. That means an awful lot to me. I hope you had a wonderful time in Oxford.

I should probably mention here that I have submitted my paper to Mythlore, the Society's journal for consideration, at the urging of Janet Croft, the journal editor (some may recall that Prof. Croft edited the excllent book "Tolkien on Film" which the Mythopoeic Press put out a couple of years ago). Mythlore is a peer-reviewed journal, so I won't hear anything for several months and there is certainly no guarantee that it will be accepted, but it is an honor to be asked.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Congratulations, Voronwë! That's just excellent news.

I actually have TOLKIEN ON FILM sitting at my elbow. It's risen near the top of the to-be-read mountain, now that I've started actually reading every evening.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King