And the shape of all lands was changed. . . .

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

And the shape of all lands was changed. . . .

Post by Primula Baggins »

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

the article wrote:Extreme cold made Britain uninhabitable for thousands of years

Obviously, the stiff upper lip is a relatively recent evolutionary adaptation. :D
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Not at all. It's a remnant of the times when it was all frozen, and British upper lips froze, and despite Global Warming, etc. etc. they have yet to melt...
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I just thought it was interesting that there was so radical a rearrangement of the coastlines, in that exact part of the world, as recently as 200,000 years ago, when that has always struck me as the unlikeliest part of Tolkien's history of Middle-earth.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

I wonder which way the water went round?

That chart of human incursions into Britain has at its earliest, Pakefield. That is two miles north of where I live and that site which redated the earliest human occupation of the British Isles by 200, 000 years was discovered by a friend of mine, a keen amateur archaeologist. My mother was born there and half the village was lost within her memory by coastal erosion.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Kind of puts 15-20 cm rise over the next century in perspective, doesn't it?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Depends on where you live, solicitr.

At least ice-dammed lakes aren't likely to be a problem for a good long while.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Actually, there are still some around, but they are smaller:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacial_La ... urst_Flood
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Actually, glacial dams and floods tend to happen in melting periods, so there are likely to be more over the next few decades. Whether they will happen in places where a lot of people notice immediately is another question, given that the only places where such big melt-water lakes are likely to form are Greenland and Antarctica. But I could imagine a relatively small one forming off of glaciers in the Himalayas, for example, and providing a nasty surprise for the locals. :(
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

There is one, mentioned in the article Narya links to.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

:shock: Whoa. So there is. Lucky guess.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

If "lucky" is the word.