Who were the most Important Characters in the History of ME?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Holby wrote:Anyway...

to be pedantic Fëanor among others never entered Middle Earth.
Holby-dear, hang on to that Snit........ :er:

I'm afraid that Fëanor did actually enter Middle-earth......it was just the super-sized version - the one before Beleriand slipped under the waves after a little skirmish known as the War of Wrath.

:foryou:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Ok fine, Middle Earth before the plunge.

I am guessing Middle Earth in this context encompasses Valinor etc. anyway.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Nope. 8)

Valinor was in Aman, a separate continent in the West.......until the bending of the world.

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Well then there is a conflict isn't there.

Now I have an original harcover copy of the Sil that I bought less than a week after it was released. I have at least 3 mangled softcovers.
This is not to mention the myriad of LOTR trilogies hither and yon.

I haven't read any of them for at least a couple of years, but I've read LOTR dozens of times, and the Sil at least 15-20.

My brain is certainly addled I will admit that, but can in not be asserted that there are beings that never left Valinor or came to Middle Earth?

And really all Fëanor accomplished in Middle Earth proper amounted, was to march north in full snit and get his butt whooped.

It is obvious the import Fëanor had regarding the Sil's affect on Middle Earth and could be even said that war didn't end until the downfall of Sauron. But everything he really did occured in Valinor.

Same could be said for a number of other entities, who are regarded as most important in Middle Earth. Finwë? Manwë? Bueller?

No?
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Same could be said for a number of other entities, who are regarded as most important in Middle Earth. Finwë? Manwë? Bueller?
Yes. :hug:

Except for Bueller.
And really all Fëanor accomplished in Middle Earth proper amounted, was to march north in full snit and get his butt whooped.
But Fëanor leading the Noldor back to Middle-earth determined its history from that point on.

I'll accept your point about Manwë.......and others........but not Fëanor. If lists must be made, he's definitely top ten material.

Jalal ad-Din Rumi
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Weren't the Valar in Middle-earth early on, before decamping for Aman? Or was it not "Middle-earth" then?
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Ah!

You're right! Their first habitation was Almaren in Middle-earth.

That pretty much takes care of most of the "among others", doesn't it?

And I just realized that of course, Finwë came from Middle-earth to Aman.

Some of the Numenorians, however........ :suspicious:

Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

Post by Dân o Nandor on Anduin »

(Just realized I hadn't perused 'page 5' before adding this post, but I don't think it affects much of what I say :) )

I agree, Fëanor was briefly in Middle-earth, as Thingol was briefly in Aman. Thus the 2 have another offsetting commonality!

Primula Brandybuck>Baggins is #264, though poor Drogo is only #466. Alatar and Pallando, at present, are #'s 779 & 780!

Okay, since sub-space chatter is still alive in the Shiny One's absence, here's the next installment...

151. Mardil Voronwë 1st Ruling Steward of Gondor
152. Cirion 12th Ruling Steward of Gondor
153. Hamfast 'The Gaffer' Gamgee
154. Lotho 'Pimple' Sackville-Baggins
155. ANCALAGON THE BLACK
156. Mablung of the Heavy Hand
157. Valacar 20th King of Gondor
158. TILION
159. Khamûl the Black Easterling, 2nd to the Lord of the Nazgûl
160. Vána (f)
161. Haleth Lady of the Haladin (f)
162. Amrod 6th son of Fëanor, twin of Amras
163. Amras 7th son of Fëanor, twin of Amrod
164. DRAUGLUIN
165. Hyarmendacil I 15th King of Gondor
166. Dorlas companion of Túrin
167. SHADOWFAX
168. Rúmil the Sage of Tirion
169. Pelendur Steward of Gondor
170. Glóin son of Gróin
171. Lenwë
172. Tar-Meneldur 5th King of Númenor
173. *Pengolodh the Wise of Gondolin
174. Ecthelion Lord of the Fountain in Gondolin
175. Gorlim the Unhappy
176. Bofur
177. Óin son of Gróin
178. Rían wife of Huor (f)
179. Baragund father of Morwen
180. Nimrodel (f)
181. QUICKBEAM
182. NESSA (f)
183. Thuringwëthil (f)
184. Telumehtar Umbardacil 28th King of Gondor
185. Thengel 16th King of Rohan
186. Guilin father of Gwindor
187. Tar-Ancalimë 7th Ruler and 1st Ruling Queen of Númenor (f)
188. Haldad father of Haleth of the Haladin
189. Aerin wife of Brodda (f)
190. ESTË (f)
191. SCATHA THE WORM
192. Thrór King of Durin's Folk
193. Atanatar II 16th King of Gondor
194. WANDLIMB (f)
195. Urwen Lalaith daughter of Húrin (f)
196. Malach Aradan son of Marach
197. Azaghâl Lord of Belegost
198. Falastur Tarannon 12th King of Gondor
199. Fréaláf Hildeson 10th King of Rohan
200. Ondoher 31st King of Gondor

Next: the last of the Valar; a couple Maiar that made it to the Sil; the regular host of Kings, Chieftains, and Stewards, not to mention Dwarves, Elves, Orcs and an Ent; the 1st of the Druedain; the 3rd Eagle of importance; a couple fat people; the 1st member of the Notion Club; and, slipping it in, in his absence, Voronwë's son, only from HoMe! ;)
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

Sorry for the delay, if anyone's still interested :)

Btw, here's the 'legend':
VALAR
MAIAR
Eldar
Peredhil
Dúnedain & other Men of extended lifespan
Men
Hobbits & Druedain
Dwarves
Orcs
ANIMALS & other CREATURES
UNKNOWN ENTITIES
* = entities only in UT or HoMe
(f) = females

201. Wulf son of Freca of Rohan
202. Grishnákh
203. VAIRË (f)
204. Indis the Fair 2nd wife of Finwë (f)
205. Eldarion 2nd King of Reunited Gondor
206. Tar-Atanamir 13th King of Númenor
207. *Ilverin Littleheart son of Voronwë
208. Valandil 3rd King of Arnor
209. Hunthor of Brethil, companion of Túrin
210. Denethor I 10th Ruling Steward of Gondor
211. Uglúk
212. Bombur
213. Marach 1st Chieftain of the 3rd House of the Edain
214. Ghân-buri-Ghân
215. Haldir Lord of the Haladin
216. *Alwin Arundel Lowdham (the Notion Club)
217. Tar-Minastir 11th King of Númenor
218. Tar-Ancalimon 14th King of Númenor
219. Arveleg I 8th King of Arthedain
220. ILMARË (f)
221. Aragorn I 5th Chieftain of Dúnedain
222. Gildor Inglorion
223. Elanor the Fair (f)
224. Aldor 3rd King of Rohan
225. Araphor 9th King of Arthedain
226. Amlaith 1st King of Arthedain
227. Dwalin
228. Narmacil I 17th King of Gondor
229. Barliman Butterbur
230. Aranarth 1st Chieftain of the Dúnedain
231. Paladin II Took 31st Thain of the Shire
232. Thorin III Stonehelm King of Durin’s Folk
233. Amlach son of Imlach
234. Thráin I King of Durin’s Folk
235. SKINBARK
236. Fredegar ‘Fatty’ Bolger
237. *Gethron, companion of Túrin
238. FASTITOCALON
239. SALMAR
240. Arathorn II 15th Chieftain of the Dúnedain
241. Beregond Captain of the Guard of Faramir
242. Argeleb I 7th King of Arthedain
243. Belegund son of Bregolas
244. Fili
245. LANDROVAL
246. Narmacil II 29th King of Gondor
247. Eärwen wife of Finarfin (f)
248. Morwen of Lossarnach mother of Théoden (f)
249. Brytta Léofa 11th King of Rohan
250. Handir Lord of the Haladin

Next: some hobbits, specifically 2 farmers, a gardener, a mayor, and a founder/explorer; 2 great smiths, one of Nogrod, one of the Noldor; a raven, a pony, and a horse; the usual collection of Kings; and 8 rather notable females... 8)
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Ah! Thanks for the legend, dna!

I was at a loss about what was going on with all the text variations.

Now things are lot clearer! :)

BTW, I'm familiar (on some level) with everyone listed in #1-60 and #101-150.

Go me! :horse:

At #151, however, things start going downhill. At least 9 "unknowns" from #151-200 and a whopping 17 total strangers in #201-250.

And most of them are Kings. 8)

Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Tolkien Forever

Post by Tolkien Forever »

Well, I think it's silly to say 'Who's the most important character in the history of Middle-Earth' & then say 'Don't include Valar or Maiar' because they have such importance in M-E's history......

Having said that, I'm including them...... :blackeye:

You wanted Top Ten, I'll try.

The first few are obvious, after that, tougher:

1. Morgoth
2. Sauron
3. Fëanor (tougher now, gotta think....)
4. Gandalf
5. Eärendil
6. Elrond
7. Witch-King of Angmar aka Lord of the Nazgûl
8. Isildur
9. Elendil
10. Aragorn

The reason I picked these 'beings' instead of, say, Frodo, was that they impacted history for longer periods than in just one big event like Frodo did (except Aragorn, who in my opinion accomplished more for longer & would continue to accomplish more when Frodo was long gone).

Isildur, for example, saves the White tree in Númenor, cuts the Ring from Sauron's hand & keeps it from being cast into Mount Doom, therefore effecting the history of the entire 3rd Age.

Elrond has a hand in every event from the end of the First Age, being raised by Maglor, son of Fëanor to Frodo & him leaving on the 'Last Ship'.

The Lord of the Nazgûl may be a bit too highly rated, but he's Sauron's main Captain over the span of 4000 years....

He brings the North Kingdom to an end as the Witch-King & brings the line of the Kings of Gondor to an end 78 years later when he ambushes Eanur after challenging him to single combat.
'I am my beloved's and He is mine; And the banner over me is Love'
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Isildur, for example, saves the White tree in Númenor, cuts the Ring from Sauron's hand & keeps it from being cast into Mount Doom, therefore effecting the history of the entire 3rd Age.
I suspect that Frodo destroying the one ring probably affected the history of the entire 4th age. ;)

Particularly since the 4th age would never have been declared if he hadn't. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I must say I'm delighted that I asked the question, and got such an overwhelming response. Thank you thank you dna for your huge and informative list. I'm afraid I don't know half the people on it.

And welcome to HOF, Tolkien Forever.

The most important character for me in ME will always be Frodo. Not because of his feats prowess or his influence on people or his wealth of followers, but because he lived a life of ultimate good. Not by running off with a sword in hand, like Dernhelm, but by doing the right things and taking the right steps until there were no more steps left in him. He lived a pretty normal life until he was 50, then volunteered to save the world and sacrifice himself in the process. Not that he quite realized that in the beginning (that would have been a crazy thing to do). Unlike most religious figures we know about who waged peace (Jesus, Buddha, Gandhi), he had few "followers" and started no religious movements. He simply and quietly did the right thing and changed the world.

Well, maybe he does have a religious movement - Tolkienism. ;)
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

An unawaited update, I'm sure… but yes, I’ve finished the spreadsheet.

10 characters now intrude into the top-250, by double-checking, re-figuring, Letters & Wikipedia:

(87 - *Eriol, down from #57, see below…)
101 – GURTHANG (see below…)
104 – DURIN’S BANE, the Balrog of Moria
108 – *Ælfwine of England (see below…)
136 – CARADHRAS (see below…)
200 – Háma, Captain of Rohan
211 – Berúthiel, Queen of Gondor (f)
214 – *Sador Labadal
216 - *Androg the Outlaw
233 – Handir 5th Lord of the Haladin
253 – Haldir of Lothlórien

It looks like there are nearly 1100 Arda characters in total (not quite the even 1000 I was hoping for). I spilled over 1000 double-checking everything; then proceeded to spilt all the Eriol/Ælfwine characters that I had combined – they are 2 distinct characters after all, set in 2 distinct time-periods, more importantly with 2 separate families (who all qualify as characters in this list), even though they fulfill similar roles, and are combined by both Drout & Wikipedia (I split those results).

I also separated the hobbit Firiel Fairbairn from Firiel of ‘The Last Ship’, even though I believe them to be the same character, cause who am I to say. Similarly Herumor, Fuinir, and the Witch-king all stayed separate; as did Rog & Enerdhil of Gondolin, despite the theories. Plus, I added both Gurthang & Caradhras as they both display characteristics of indexed individuals, including dialogue for the former (so some minerals appropriately join the animals & vegetables :P ).

Finally I included hobbits from the Bolger & Boffin family-trees added to later editions of LotR, all of which got 1pt from Wikipedia only. And then I noticed 8 names on the Wiki-trees, not on my LotR-trees: Fastigar Bolger, Fem Hornblower>Boffin, Frinella Chubb>Boffin, Lila Grubb>Boffin, Opal Chubb>Bolger, Sago Boffin, Tansy Proudfoot>Boffin, and Tolula Goold>Boffin. Right now, I’m awarding them ½ pt, so they come in #’s 1083-1090. I haven’t investigated this, but does anyone know if these are from Tolkien, or just fanfic???

Finally, I figure there are some un-named characters deserving of filling out the list. My candidates offhand are the Balrog of the Echoriath who killed Glorfindel; the orc-chieftain of Moria that pierced Frodo, along with the Cave-troll (separate, despite the movies); the Squint-eyed Southerner at the Prancing Pony; along with the remaining 6 Nazgûl (the Winged Messenger, indexed in LotR & Foster, being the 3rd coming in at #889).

Just curious, are there any other candidates I’m missing? (I’d prefer to replace the unknown Nazgûl with more significant role-players, but you may not think so. Hmm, Larnach’s daughter’s a favourite of mine, but… :) )

:help:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

How do we know if there are any candidates that are missing, when we haven't seen the full spreadsheet?

(Nice to see you here, by the way. :))
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

I wasn’t meaning the entire list! :shock: :)

Simply any additional unnamed, unindexed role-players that come to mind (such as Gollum’s grandmother, who I just thought of) to round-out the list. Believe me, every named and indexed character is on there, and I certainly wouldn’t expect anyone to care enough to comb the entire list for omits or errors…

Actually an opening has accrued, as I was forced to combine Maglor and Ivárë Minstrel of the Elves since they became the same character, evidenced by a note of Tolkien’s. So Gollum’s grandmother will probably slip in as #1100, along with the rest of the Nazgûl, the Balrog of the Echoriath, the Orc-chieftain, the Cave-troll, and the Squint-eyed southerner, if no others come to mind. (And I'll take it that those additional Boffins & Bolgers have some credibility somewhere...)

[So the Maglor merger jumps him to #65. Plus I included Tolkien Forever's late post to the mix, so Fëanor passes Thingol to #6; Eärendil edges Galadriel to #14; Isildur jumps to #30; Elendil to #40; and, well I suppose its neither here nor there, but the Witch-king jumps past Bombadil to #12 :P]

Okay, mercifully near the end... I think I’ll retitle this list “The most dominant characters in the Story of Arda” – much more appropriate! Final breakdowns of race, gender, etc, coming soon…

(And Voronwë, best wishes as the deadline approaches! Make the most of Leap-year Day!!)
Mrs.Underhill

Post by Mrs.Underhill »

Weighing in on this debate: I think the most important mortal characters in ME were Beren, Eärendil and Frodo.
They brought about huge, epochal changes, and all served to redress the sins and wrongs of their immortal and godlike counterparts, and start new eras.
Alatar wrote:I suspect that Frodo destroying the one ring probably affected the history of the entire 4th age. ;)

Particularly since the 4th age would never have been declared if he hadn't. :)
I agree wholeheartedly! And moreover, Frodo's deed affected not only 3rd and 4rd age, but resolved fallouts of 1st and 2nd ages as well. Yes, he was important for all ages of ME - and Sam noted that, on the Stairs: that they were continuing the same story, story of Beren and Eärendil and Silmarillions.

It started with the pride of Fëanor, with Silmarillions, and lead we know where.
High Elves who were Fëanor supporters were punished for their pride and had to stay in ME, like Galadriel. Beren and then Eärendil played crucial parts in redresssing Fëanor's sins, reshaping ME and preserving the Elvish light for the future.
Celebrimbor and other Elves were afterwards tempted to use power over Nature, to artificially change ME to be like the lands over the Sea, that's why the Rings were created - for Elves who longed but could not go over the Sea.
Sauron used that temptation and twisted it to his ends, to evil, making sure that black magic and embodiments of evil hold sway on the natural order of ME. So Elvish "good" magic came in a package with Sauron's evils.
The Last Alliance defeated Sauron in body but not in spirit, the One Ring still hold sway over ME, preserving both good and bad of magic, and perpetuating both the pride of Elves and Sauron's malice.

Frodo, taking upon himself the full hit of the One Ring, bearing its burden to the end, bore all those unresolved sins and wrongs from all 3 ME ages, and made possible for this 3-age burden to be cast away, for ME to resume its natural order, and to start from a fresh start. It came with both a release and an aching loss of Elven beauty. Elves had to let go, and they passed the test, and could now depart - all that with help of Frodo, who set an example in a sacrifice.

Now, destruction of the One Ring was of course a concerted effort, and many characters played important parts in it. But Frodo's part was a key one: the most crucial and also the hardest of all. It was literally taking all that 3-era baggage upon himself, and absolving the rest of the world from it. Others helped him - he couldn't have done it without Sam - but it was his task and doom.
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

Hard to argue with any of that Mrs U! Unfortunately, for my purposes, I've drawn the line with Tolkien Forever's late post, so your top-3 will have to remain #'s 8, 14, & 16 respectively in my 'Arda's Most Dominant' list, if that means anything. :)

Okay, so wrapping things up for the time being…

I overlooked the King of the Dead and the pony ‘Sharp-ears’, but they’ve now been added, leaving 9 spots for unnamed/unindexed characters. I’ve relegated the remaining 6 Nazgûl to honourable mention, since they display little individualization to their characters, and have carefully chosen the following ‘individuals’ (primarily as representions for their races): the Balrog of the Echoriath that slew Glorfindel; the Cold-drake of Ered Mithrin that slew Dáin I; the Cave-troll of Moria that fought the Fellowship; the Chief of the Lossoth who delivered the Ring of Barahir; the Squint-eyed Southerner in Bree; Gollum’s grandmother; the Great Grey Wolf who engaged in semi-dialogue with Thorin’s company outside the Misty Mts; the Thrush of Erebor; and “the Fox” in the Shire – hey, he’s got dialogue!. (In a fleeting moment where the movies actually revealed a minor impact, I removed the Orc-chieftain that did pierce Frodo, favouring the Cave-troll that has absorbed the gist of the role in popular culture… shameful, I know)... So,

FINAL BREAKDOWN (1100 Arda characters):

Females: 201 (18%)
Characters strictly from UT/HoMe: 258 (23.5%)

General groups:
Men: 486 (44%)
Halflings: 263 (24%)
Elves: 143 (13%) [69 Calaquendi/74 Moriquendi]
Dwarves: 55 (5%)
Gods, etc: 54 (5%)
Orcs: 22 (2%)
Giants, etc: 8 (0.5%)
Animals: 60 (5.5%)
Vegetables: 7 (0.5%)
Minerals: 2 (0.5%)

Specific groups:
Enigmas: 6 (0.5%)
Valar: 15 (1.5%)
Maiar, etc: 33 (3%) [5 Istari; 3 Balrogs]
Vanyar: 10 (1%)
Noldor: 81 (7.5%)
Teleri: 41 (3.5%)
Nandor: 8 (0.5%)
Avari: 3 (0.5%)
Edain of the 1st House: 40 (3.5%)
Edain of the 2nd House: 28 (2.5%)
Edain of the 3rd House: 38 (3.5%)
Númenóreans: 61 (5.5%)
Dúnedain of Gondor: 110 (10%)
Dúnedain of Arnor: 46 (4%)
Rohirrim: 58 (5.5%)
Men of Rhovanion/Dale: 8 (0.5%)
Men of Arnor/Bree: 6 (0.5%)
Men of Gondor, etc: 27 (2.5%)
Easterlings: 14 (1%)
Southrons: 5 (0.5%)
Northmen: 2
Undead: 6 (0.5%) [3 Nazgûl]
Normal Men: 37 (3.5%)
Hobbits: 260 (23.5%)
Woses: 3 (0.5%)
Dwarves: 52 (4.5%)
Petty-dwarves: 3 (0.5%)
Orcs: 22 (2%)
Trolls: 5 (0.5%)
Giants: 2
Ogres: 1
Dragons: 5 (0.5%) [2 fire-drakes; 2 winged-drakes; 1 cold-drake]
Sea-monsters: 2 [1 turtlefish; 1 kraken(?)]
Vampires: 1
Were-bears: 2
Horses: 22 (2%) [5 mearas; 8 steeds; 9 ponies]
Birds: 11 (1%) [4 eagles; 2 ravens; 1 thrush; 1 warbler; 1 swan; 1 kingfisher; 1 wren]
Dogs: 9 (1%) [1 wolf; 1 hound; 1 werewolf; 1 warg; 1 fox; 4 domestics]
Cats: 3 (0.5%)
Spiders: 2
Weasels: 2 [1 badger; 1 otter]
Boars: 1
Trees: 7 (0.5%) [6 ents; 1 willow]
Mountains: 1
Swords: 1

(Yes, tough decisions had to be made on many of the classifications, but I did my best for adequate representation: Beorn & Grimbeorn were isolated as were-bears, just because; Herumor, Fuinur, Sangahyando & Angamaite are considered Southrons; Sylvan Elves became Nandor; and the ubiquitous Tinfang is a warbler, just because he's nothing else, and acts & sounds like that bird!)

Some observations:
-the biggest specific group is Gondor Dúnedain (110), exactly 10% of the total.
-the biggest specific groups per each hundred-segment are Noldor Elves (24) for the top-100; Gondor Dúnedain (14/16/17/22) for each hundred until #500; Hobbits (17/53/64/35) for each hundred until #900; Edain of the 1st House [13] for the 10th hundred; and Hobbits again [48] for the last hundred.
-similarly, the biggest general groups are Elves [36] for the top-100; Men for the next 5 hundreds (42/60/66/65/51); Halflings for the next 3 (53/64/35); Men again [60]; then Hobbits [48] for the last.
-females accrue a larger % for each hundred getting closer to #1 from #600 [9>9>10>14>16>18]; prior to #600 they level off at an average of exactly ¼ (23/20/26/30/26).
-the specific groups represented in EACH of the 11 hundred-segments (contrasted from those attaining the highest scores) are Teleri Elves; Edain of the 3rd House; Númenóreans; as well as Hobbits.
-specific groups containing ALL of their characters in 1 hundred-segment are Avari (3 in the 800’s); Spiders (2 in the top-100); and Northmen (2 in the 1000’s).

I'll probably be back for further analysis... 8)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I just saw this thread's last several pages....now, I'm probably not a tenth of the Tolkien geek most people here are, and if you had told me about someone doing a list like this, a mighta maybe quietly rolled my eyes a bit about it's absurd uber-geekiness :P but upon reading thru dna's list I gotta say...that was really fun! :D Especially when the list breaks into the top 50 and I actually start recognizing most people. :P So I'm just here to praise dna's entertainingly mega-geeky work. :cheers:

(And I wanted to say I think Aragorn is overrated and not just cuz I think he's boring. :P Does he really do anything all that significant besides being in LOTR? Any more significant than a slew of other kings?)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Dân o Nandor on Anduin

If I thoroughly entertained you with my uber-geekiness Yov, then it was well worth it! :)

And Aragorn's not your cup of tea, eh? Mine neither! I've never been drawn to him. He developed very late in the scheme of things, from a wooden-shoed hobbit, and was very constructedly propelled to be a successful King Arthur parallel. He's overshadowed by Gandalf for the most part, and when he is left to take over, his leadership becomes somewhat questionable. Nevertheless, is he "any more significant than a slew of other kings" as you say? I think he is, and more, so...

Lets begin analyses with Aragorn and the most dominant rulers of Gondor & Arnor in the 3rd Age... The list is extensive (Men of Gondor/Arnor being 17% of Arda’s total characters) so I’ll cut it short and include only the pinnacle, the top-50 Kings, Ruling Stewards, and Chieftains of the Northern Dúnedain. In many ways, Gondor is the center of Tolkien’s world, and its leaders are not unlike the Kings of England or even American Presidents. From a political standpoint, they represent the most powerful Men since the world was made round. Most attain their status due to military accomplishment or founding a land or a line; or contrastly, through military losses, or being last of a line.

Being strictly good or evil is not as prevalent here as in other spheres of Arda, but rather being pivotal politically. Then again Hyarmendacil I, who brought Gondor to the height of its power, is only 17th (167th overall); Atanatar II who ruled at the height of power and splendour is 19th (198th overall); and Tarondor who had the longest reign is 40th (328th). So there is definitely a mix of political opportunism, and strength of character. And this list includes many unsavoury and tragic leaders, again similar to English Kings & American Presidents: Aragorn is in fact nothing less here than a successful King Arthur!

His character is invariably good, but also politically very lucky! He literally transfers the World of the Elves benevolently to the World of Men. But more importantly he becomes, largely through actions in which he had a substantial hand, the 1st ruler of a Reunited Realm, severed for over 3000 years. He also has legitimate claim to the Kingship, re-instituted after nearly 1000 years. And by marrying Arwen, he leaves an heir whose relevance rivals (potentially surpassing) his own, and through both of them we envision the underpinnings of our own world...

:bow: Here they are, the first 7 need not be rehashed…

1. (5th) Elessar Telcontar 1st King of the Reunited Realm
2. (30th) Isildur 2nd King of Gondor
3. (40th) Elendil 1st King of Arnor and Gondor
4. (48th) Denethor II 26th Ruling Steward of Gondor
5. (93rd) Romendacil II Minalcar 19th King of Gondor
6. (95th) Meneldil 3rd King of Gondor
7. (96th) Arvedui 15th and last King of Arthedain
8. (114th) Anárion 2nd King of Gondor [Isildur’s brother; founder of southern-line & Anórien]
9. (116th) Eärnur 33rd & last King of Gondor [defeated Angmar at Fornost; last of Anárion’s line]
10. (124th) Eldacar 21st King of Gondor [half-Dúnadan, reign saw Kin-Strife; defeated Castamir]
11. (134th) Eärnil II 32nd King of Gondor [defeated Haradrim/Wainriders; won Ondoher's crown]
12. (146th) Rómendacil I Tarostar 8th King of Gondor [defeated Easterlings; slain later by them]
13. (149th) Castamir the Usurper 22nd King of Gondor [captain during Kin-Strife; popular, but cruel]
14. (156th) Mardil Voronwë 1st Ruling Steward of Gondor [faithful; instituted Steward’s Reckoning]
15. (157th) Cirion 12th Ruling Steward of Gondor [granted Rohirrim Calenardhon for Oath of Eorl]
16. (161st) Valacar 20th King of Gondor [sent North; married Vidumavi, precipitating Kin-strife]
17. (167th) Hyarmendacil I Ciryaher 15th King of Gondor [last Ship-king; crushed Haradrim]
18. (190th) Telumehtar Umbardacil 28th King of Gondor [inherited weaker realm; conquered Umbar]
19. (198th) Atanatar II Alcarin the Glorious 16th King of Gondor [hedonist, neglected Mordor watch]
20. (203rd) Falastur Tarannon 12th King of Gondor [1st Ship-king, strengthened Gondor’s coasts]
21. (206th) Ondoher 31st King of Gondor [attacked by Wainriders & Haradrim; slain on Dagorlad]
22. (213th) Valandil 3rd King of Arnor [perpetuates Isildur's line, but Meneldil maintains Gondor line]
23. (217th) Denethor I 10th Ruling Steward of Gondor [saw Ithilien overrun by uruks]
24. (228th) Arveleg I 8th King of Arthedain [drove back Angmar/Rhudaur forces, maintaining frontier]
25. (230th) Araphor 9th King of Arthedain [with Círdan, drove forces of Angmar from Fornost]
26. (234th) Aragorn I 5th Chieftain of Dúnedain [raised by Elrond, killed by wolves]
27. (236th) Amlaith of Fornost 1st King of Arthedain [eldest of 3 sons who fought for Arnor kingship]
28. (237th) Narmacil I 17th King of Gondor [son of Alcarin; all-powerful, hedonistic, lazy & childless]
29. (241st) Aranarth 1st Chieftain of the Dúnedain [initiated heirs of Isildur to conceal their royalty]
30. (250th) Argeleb I 7th King of Arthedain [reclaimed lordship over Arnor; died in battle]
31. (252nd) Arathorn II 15th Chieftain of the Dúnedain [fathered Aragorn II; pierced by orc-arrow]
32. (258th) Narmacil II 29th King of Gondor [brief reign, attacked by Easterlings; died in battle]
33. (263rd) Boromir 11th Ruling Steward of Gondor [great captain, drove uruks out of Ithilien]
34. (275th) Minardil 25th King of Gondor [slain in battle at Pelargir by Corsairs of Umbar]
35. (283rd) Hyarmendacil II Vinyarion 24th King of Gondor [won great vistory over Haradrim]
36. (284th) Araphant 14th King of Arthedain [renewed contact with Gondor, but little came of it]
37. (296th) Túrin II 23rd Ruling Steward of Gondor [built Henneth Annûn, rebuilt Cair Andros]
38. (314th) Hallas 13th Ruling Steward of Gondor [gave name to Rohan & the Rohirrim]
39. (326th) Eärnil I 13th King of Gondor [2nd Ship-king; built great navy, took Umbar]
40. (328th) Tarondor 27th King of Gondor [planted sapling of White Tree, longest reign]
41. (330th) Argeleb II 10th King of Arthedain [let Marcho & Blanco settle in Shire]
42. (332nd) Calimehtar 30th King of Gondor [won great victory over Wainriders]
43. (335th) Ecthelion II 25th Ruling Steward of Gondor [allowed Aragorn to serve Gondor]
44. (341st) Telemnar 26th King of Gondor [he & all his children died in Great Plague]
45. (354th) Ostoher 7th King of Gondor [rebuilt Minas Anor as summer dwelling]
46. (356th) Beren 19th Ruling Steward of Gondor [gave Saruman Isengard; fought Umbar attacks]
47. (364th) Mallor 3rd King of Arthedain [during his reign Istari came to Middle-earth]
48. (375th) Ciryandil 14th King of Gondor [3rd Ship-king; continued policy of ship-building]
49. (378th) Araval 13th King of Arthedain [renewed Elf alliances; re-established Gondor contact]
50. (381st) Arahael 2nd Chieftain of the Dúnedain [saw Dúnedain recovery, but Fornost's ruin]

I suppose the rulers of Númenor are next for analysis... :)