The Lord of the Rings Musical - My review

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Ophelia

Post by Ophelia »

Well, I don't know about competing with long-running shows like Les Mis (20 years, is it? ;) ), but LOTR is doing pretty nicely, whatever the critics choose to throw at it. And lots of schools would love to perform it, I'm sure. I think Kevin Wallace once said something about having the rights to a stage production which could be reproduced in such a fashion.

I'd be so upset if a filmed version didn't contain the original cast, though. I know it wouldn't be the absolutely original cast, because that would be the Toronto show - but the London show was sufficiently reworked to have plenty of originality to it.

Rumour is that it's going to Germany in 2009-ish and will be translated for it - so I will have to take a trip over the mini-pond to see it there.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Problem with LoTR is it's got practically no choruses. That's not a good thing in a lot of schools, where you might have as many as 60 wanting to be on stage...
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Ophelia

Post by Ophelia »

How about "Star of Eärendil," when most of the Ensemble are singing? And also the part of the Journey Song which is sung at the end (short but sweet, admittedly). Also, quite a lot of voices sing the "Nazgûl" and "Ranger" lines during "Flight to the Ford."
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Yes, but very few big chorus numbers. People tend not to co-operate if they've only got one song to sing. I have experience with this. 80 people doing Fiddler on the Roof... And that has a lot of choruses... (relative to some others)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

There's chorus work in Lothlórien also, not to mention the entire "Cat and the Moon". I think if you pay attention there's actually a lot in this show, particularly if you add in dance opportunity. Most students I know would rather be dancing than singing anyway. Have a listen to the soundtrack. I think you'll be very surprised at the amount of chorus involvement. After all, its one of the largest casts on the West End!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Ophelia

Post by Ophelia »

Rob Howell won Best Set Design in the What's On Stage awards, by the way. And quite right too. 8)
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I have to go see this again. I've forgotten so much...

ETA: Got my soundtrack today. Just happened to be browsing in HMV and there it was.

:love:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Damn.
LOTR Musical Ends London Run

March 14th, 2008 by xoanon

The Musical Spectacular “THE LORD OF THE RINGS” will complete its run at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane, London on 19 July, 2008 after 492 performances. The show has already played to an audience of over 446,000 in London since previews began on 9 May 2007. Due to the popularity of the London Production among international visitors, discussions are under way for the production to re-open in Germany in November 2009 with a German-speaking cast. “THE LORD OF THE RINGS” creative team is also developing a touring version to launch in New Zealand in 2009 before being presented in cities across Australia and the Far East. This new production will bring the show’s ground-breaking musical score and J.R.R. Tolkien’s beloved story to a global audience. Producer Kevin Wallace said today, “The show’s creative team has proven just how enchanting, exhilarating and powerfully entertaining The Lord of the Rings can be live on stage. We will continue to bring this incredible theatrical event to audiences in London until 19 July, and we look forward to presenting the show to new audiences abroad from 2009.”

“THE LORD OF THE RINGS” has earned high praise from fans of Tolkien’s wonderful books and the general theatre-going public alike,” said Laurie Battle of the Saul Zaentz Company. “The enchanted environment at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane is a “once in a lifetime” opportunity to step into the fantastic world of Middle-earth. The telling of this epic story on stage is a brilliant example of how magical the live theatrical experience can be. With a stunning score, powerful performances and perhaps the most beautiful and spectacular design the West End has ever seen, this show is not to be missed.”

The producers today thanked the public for making “THE LORD OF THE RINGS” one of the three top-selling shows during the Society of London Theatre’s 2007 Kids Week and Get Into London Theatre campaigns, as well as those ticket agents who have supported the show, taking “THE LORD OF THE RINGS” to top-selling positions in their monthly West End sales charts.

A Kevin Wallace Limited Production, “THE LORD OF THE RINGS” is presented by Kevin Wallace and Saul Zaentz.

Tickets for “THE LORD OF THE RINGS”, at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane are available in person from the theatre box office; by phone on 0844 412 4660, online at www.lotr.com and from all reputable theatre ticket agents. Ticket prices start at £15.00.

Performance times: Monday 7:00pm; Tuesday – Saturday 7:30pm; Thursday and Saturday 2:00pm

“A Hugely Impressive Production” The Guardian

“Go with an open heart, wide-open eyes and prepare for enchantment -
THIS SHOW IS A WONDER” The Times

“A powerful piece of popular storytelling, that makes for a totally involving
theatrical experience. Amazing!” Sunday Express

“The Production is Astounding… Astonishing special effects” London Lite

“Without doubt the most spectacular show in the West End” lastminute.com

“Astonishing” The Sunday Times

Astonishing… Ingenious…Not to be missed! The Hollywood Reporter
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Me and friends were planning on going in August. :rage:
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

I bought the soundtrack yesterday, and just had to listen through it twice in a row. It was great. :clap: :thumbsup:

I probably won't get a chance to see the show :( unless the World Tour they're planning will get to Finland or even somewhere in Scandinavia, or some of our theatres will take it up sometime in the future.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Pics from my backstage tour!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Nice pictures, Alatar!

We were in London for 24 hours a couple of weeks ago and considered going to LOTR, but even the half-price tickets would have amounted to Much Too Much for a family of six.

We consoled ourselves with buying the soundtrack in the bookstore and listening to it in the train on the way home.

:(

I liked the music much more than I expected to, by the way.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Teremia, the Thursday Matinee is really good value. £25 for all full price tickets and only £15 for balcony. It closes on July 19th, so I'd really recommend it if you can possibly make it. This was my 4th trip and I hope to see it once more before it closes.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

The backstage tour looks like awesome fun!

This reminds me, I should buy this soundtrack, or ask for it for my birthday or something.

(Yes, and I'd be willing to wait til Aug. if that meant I could walk around the house going 'Mine. My own. My Precious. My birthday-present.' I know I'm weird, but y'all understand, right? ...Right?)

As far as staging this as a school production...the stage is an integral part of the show, so you'd have to have completely different staging at a humble school theater. I mean, yes, most shows need less elaborate sets for a school, but this one in particular would take some thought. Because here, the *sets* were sparse, but the stage itself...elaborate beyond words.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Alatar, I'm so grateful to you for keeping the musical in my mind! I now have the soundtrack on my iTunes, and I'm enjoying the music way more than I expected to. (See, I was sure I'd hate it because I like Howard Shore's music so much and [confession #2] I often don't like music from musicals. But I seem to have been wrong! :))

Anyway, thanks!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm delighted Teremia! In fact I have the Musical soundtrack on constant repeat in my car because I find it more "interesting" to listen to than the Movie soundtracks. Not better, just more variety, more recognisable hooks and dare I say it, more singalong stuff. I'm even learning the bits of Elvish, something I never did with Shore's.

On a side note, I had a different CD in the car the other day and my daughter Aoife, who's 3, said "Daddy, put on Lord of the Rings" and then when I did, intoned, "Frodo and Sam are very sad, Daddy".

So proud! ;)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

By Jove, she's got it! :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

When did she get to be three? Wasn't she, like, a baby or something?

Hehehe, it makes me feel so grown up to say that :D. I think it's awesome that your kids grow up with this stuff.

o/~ Now and for always o/~
Ophelia

Post by Ophelia »

You can sign a petition asking them to release a DVD of the LOTR Musical here:

http://www.gopetition.co.uk/online/19670.html

Extremely unlikely to work, of course. But still.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, we can only hope! Signed.