Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Wow - and I'd so love to see the English bluebells in spring some day! :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That is stunning, Voronwë. Did you take it? And is it in your area?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

No, and no. 8)

Its someplace in China, I believe. I've never been there.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Sassy: your picture of the glade of bluebells under the beeches actually brought tears to my eyes, it is just so magically beautiful.

We have bluebells planted under a venerable old apple tree in our garden. We dug them out a meadow of an old derelict farm that was condemned to become a trendy subdivision of waterfront properties, and brought them home with us in our canoe. If the deer don't get at them in early spring, they make a lovely wave of blue and violet amid the ferns. But nothing like the glory in that picture of yours.

Voronwë: "..............and the first sound that was heard was the sound of water flowing, and the sound of water falling over stone."
:love:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Voronwë the Faithful

Posting an extra picture today, in honor of all of our new members. :love:

Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Voronwë, I'll see your cheetah on the African savannah and raise you a cougar in a snowy northern forest.................

I've had this photo for a long time, and it still makes me sw00n with each new viewing. What a magnificent creature! :love:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Voronwë the Faithful

:sw00n:
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

sw00000n

for family felidae large or small.

:love:

The most efficient, most graceful, most elegant, most beautiful of all ...

Perfection.

<goes off to google big cats>

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

I like this thread. :D

Taken basically right outside my front door a few days ago...

ttbk
Glowah, eee chop glowah.
Ya glowah pee chu nee foom
Ah toot dee awe goon daa.

Glory, we found glory.
The power showed us the light,
And now we all live free.

Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
Celebrate the might; (Power!)
Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
Celebrate the love.
Voronwë the Faithful

Me too. :)

Something a little different today. I'm not sure what they did to this photo, but I like. It was taken about six miles from where I live.

truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Wow, I love the way the pics bring out the colours and shapes on the leopard and the cougar!

(And why is the leopard called "cheetah" - I thought that was a monkey's name?)

Ooooh, ttbk, beautiful!

Voronwë, yes, it somehow makes the trunks stand out even more palpably!
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë, those redwoods look like something seen from that blue bus. :P

Here are some interesting cloud formations for your enjoyment (can't remember where I found the picture so can't give proper credit)
Voronwë the Faithful

Why, Frelga, I never would have guessed that you would say something like that. :P

Hobby, the cat that I posted IS a Cheetah, not a Leopard. Its a completely different animal. Cheetahs are the fastest known land animal. They have a very unique physiology, very different from other big cats.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Ack, yes, I mixed that up - of course it's a Gepard (in German) - still, I think Cheetah is a generic name for a Chimpanzee - but I'm probably mixing that up with something else, too. :help:
Voronwë the Faithful

I think you are getting that from Tarzan movies, which by the way are gross distortions of Edgar Rice Burroughs books.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I think in the Tarzan book Cheetah was a leopard, but it's been a while. I do associate the name Cheetah with apes, but I think that's because of some (other?) fictional primate so named.

BTW, do pictures of Johnny Weissmuller as Tarzan qualify as nature photos? :halo:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Cheetah was a chimpanzee in the old Johnny Weismuller and Maureen O'Hara Tarzan movies.

Umgowa!
Voronwë the Faithful

The name "Cheetah" does not appear in any of Edgar Rice Burroughs' books.

And with that, in order to prevent this from turning into a chat thread (which no one wants), I'll have to post another picture:

That is not to say that there should be no chatting in this thread. That would be an impossible and undesirable goal. But I do want the focus to be on the pictures.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Oh, thanks! :shock:
I guess that reveals where a lot of my knowledge in all sorts of areas comes from, huh? :oops: :blackeye: