Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Ah, Voronwë..........I see that you've returned to your "flowing waters" theme. :)

Hmmmmmm..........is that a pic of Victoria Falls?

There's snow outside here, and the sunlight is causing it to sparkle like a blanket of white gems, so I've been thinking about the crystalline nature of snowflakes.

Look at the pretty pictures I found!

Astonishing, no?

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Astonishing, yes. And beautiful.

To be honest, I don't know where that picture is from. I Googled it so fast, I didn't even stop to see. :oops: Maybe I'll try to figure it out later. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Such great pictures... and the best are definitely those that you've taken yourselves! :clap:

Here's my contribution to the theme: the Mankki Creek, some three miles from where I live (and along one of my favourite walking routes). Somehow, this view reminds me of the Withywindle in the LOTR.

See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

For some reason, I've always loved the name Tolkien gave "Tom's river". :love:

And Rowan, that is EXACTLY how I picture the Withywindle............slow and dark, with tree-lined banks and waterlilies floating on its surface.

*sighs happily*

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Hunter
Lady of the Lake

Post by Hunter »

~
I've loved looking at all of the pictures and I do have some of my own that I wish to share...but :oops: would someone please explain how I go about posting them here.

size=7]I feel like such an idiot![[/size]

~
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Hunter, you can post a link to a picture file inside the Image
Hunter
Lady of the Lake

Post by Hunter »

~
Thank you Frelga, yes it does make sense. :)

I don't have an on-line album so I'll have to get one first I guess. But its late now and it will have to wait for another day.

Edit: lovely picture by the way!

~
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Eru! :hug:

Good to see you here, love. :)

That's absolutely beautiful. Where is it?

Promises faithfully to bring a piccy next time she visits this thread.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Voronwë the Faithful

Eru, that picture is heartbreakingly lovely. And I mean that in the best possible sense. :hug:

Good Morning Starshine, by Greg Summers
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Eru ... :hug: that is gorgeous!

I love the rising sun reflected it the water, V. It's magical. Where is it?
Somewhere in Middle Earth I expect.

My morning contribution is a photograph taken by Viggo (yes, that Viggo! :D) the sense of perspective ... of an entirely unseen world existing in the stump of a tree ... is remarkable and quite beautiful, I think.

<I've had to reduce it a little to stop page stretching, so it does loose a little impact>

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
fisssh
Librarian of Great Smials

Post by fisssh »

What are you doing with Viggo's property, Sass?! :suspicious:

:D

Very nice!
Voronwë the Faithful

Sassy, its somewhere in Colorado. I don't know where.

That picture is SO Viggo. And again I mean that in the best possible sense.
Hunter
Lady of the Lake

Post by Hunter »

~

Hope this works.

Palisade Head along the North Shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota near where I live.

~
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Beautiful, Hunter!

And welcome to the board.
Hunter
Lady of the Lake

Post by Hunter »

~

Thank you Whistler :)

I've been enjoying the pictures everyone has posted here, especially the pictures of Mrs. Whistler's lilies. I have a few lilies in my garden, but nothing as spectacular as hers!
~
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

One of Mrs. Whistler's canna lilies. We live on a lake, and these tend to pop up at the water's edge.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Mrs. Whistler plants all my favorite flowers. :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Okay, some sw00ning is definitely in order. :love:

Eru - Your picture is so gentle and serene in its beauty, like the first morning of an awakening world.

Voronwë - Oh my! That is simply stunning. What a gift, to be able to capture a moment like that just perfectly.

Sass - Awesome photograph. It reminds me of looking down on a landscape........a dry, desert landscape with cracked earth and jagged buttes thrusting upward.

Hunter - I love rock that has been carved by water and ice. I've never seen the Great Lakes, but that photo reminds me very much of the ocean cliffs that grace one side of an island close to where I live. It's an amazing experience to canoe alongside them.

Whistler - Gorgeous, as usual. Canna lilies are absolutely magnificent things, with their imposing size and great banana leaves and glowing neon blooms. Alas, I have been unsuccessful in growing them in my own garden.

And now for my contribution. A picture of an old arbutus tree that graces the bluff of a small island that Mr. Ath and I consider our "romantic getaway" (and yes, that is EXACTLY its colour in the westering sun):

Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Voronwë the Faithful

Mr. Ath is a lucky man. :)