Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Sass, I love that garden picture above.

Imagine having a place like that to walk in every day, simply for the pleasure of it. :love: And I know what's around that corner is just as lovely.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I can't see the picture here at work either. :shock: Nor can I even access it from the web site. When I get home, I'll try to download it and then upload it to photobucket and posted it again. Its a lovely picture.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is the picture (hopefully this will work):

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Chanctenbury Ring. The site of an old iron age fort sits atop a hill on the South Downs. Unfortunately (as I've only just discovered) most of the oldest and largest trees were destroyed in a great storm in 1987. I could see the Ring from my bedroom window ... the hill was crowned with a dense grove of trees ...

This photograph is taken from inside the crown among the young saplings looking out over the Downs.

Edit: I can see your hibiscus blossom now, Voronwë. Lovely!

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Beautiful, V and Sass!

A few lilies from Mrs. Whistler's garden:

Voronwë the Faithful

Sassy, I started the "Memories" thread that we talked about in Bag End. And yes, I figured out how to scan the pictures.

How long is it going to take for us to all get tired about saying how lovely each other's pictures are? A long time, methinks.

Beauty abounds.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

<<<Sw00000ns>>>

* for Voronwë's hibiscus (geez, that sounds more than a little rude, doesn't it? :suspicious: ) It's one of my favourite kinds of flower, you know. I've never noticed the five-sectioned "flute" at the end of the stamen before.........I love the way close-ups like this help me see something new in the familiar.

* for Mrs. Whistler's lilies (I just love the second pic, with the white lilies and red salvia.........lovely arrangement! Does your wife design the garden beds herself?)

* for Sassy's South Downs (the pastoral pic you posted earlier reminds me quite a bit of some of the farmland here, but this latest one has such a feel of the Shire to it)

Well, this morning I woke up to our first frost. My morning "commute" along a winding road lined with trees and meadows was glorious as the early light caught the fine white crystals that edged every branch and stem. Alas, fleeting beauty.............it's raining now. :(

But to honour the occasion:

Frost covering the trees on a Japanese hillside.
I think some of the most beautifully serene landscapes I've ever seen have been in Japan and England. :love:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Voronwë the Faithful

:shock: :love: :shock:
Voronwë the Faithful

Sunset at White Sands National Monument, New Mexico.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

A photo from the Web site of a climber who is also a gifted photographer (link). His focus is documenting his climbs, but many of his images are stunning. I love just paging through the site—there is so much to see.

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:How long is it going to take for us to all get tired about saying how lovely each other's pictures are? A long time, methinks.

Beauty abounds.
We might just get struck speechless by the glory of it all! :love:

For me, it was particularly the hibiscus (can see it now, thanks! :) ), the Sussex pic (what a light from the sun behind the trees!), and the frost on the trees that made me gasp!
(Is there a special word in English for that kind of frost? Because in German there is.)

And I love the first one of Mrs Whistler's lilies with the dragonfly on them! The composition and the detail is beautiful!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

What's the German word, hobby?

And would the English one be "hoarfrost"?
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Oh, yes, I've heard that one! Thanks, Prim! :)

In German this is "Reif" or "Rauhreif". It means just the frozen dew you get on the twigs and grassblades.
I don't know where the word derives from, but I think "rauh" and "hoar" are related in meaning.
I think hoarfrost and Rauhreif sound a bit as if it was a particularly bad kind of frost, which is not the case I think. I like the word "Reif", which I find somehow poetic, that's why I wondered if English has a word, too. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, "hoar" from "hoary" just means gray or white and can also connote age ("hoary-headed sages," "hoary old truism").

Somewhere we need a thread for poking away at interesting words. :P
Voronwë the Faithful

Primula_Baggins wrote:Somewhere we need a thread for poking away at interesting words. :P
I think that could go in the Lasto Beth Lammen forum. I nominate you to start it, Prim. :)

I also think that people are going to have a hard time remembering the name of that forum. :P
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, thank you, Voronwë—I would love to start that thread. I'll do it tomorrow—I just sent off a concert program I've been working on for three days, and I feel LAZY. :twisted:
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I also think that people are going to have a hard time remembering the name of that forum

We'll call it The Beth Forum for short. :D

Jn

edit: it just occurs to me that there might be an Aramaic origin behind the Elvish word. "bate, or bite" in Hebrew and Arabic means "house" - it has become "beth" in American Hebrew ... but it also has the connotation of "conclave".

I think I mentioned this during the convention committee when we were discussion the form of hearings, that the Hebrew court is called "beth din," that is, "house of judgment." The word "din" exists in Arabic too, but it has a religious connotation that it does not have in Hebrew ... something like "dogma".
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Prim! You used that mountain sunset picture as your TORC sig-pic, didn't you? It's stunning.

Today, I deviate from Sussex.

:shock:

In keeping with Tolkien's theme of Water and Light ...

A photograph Voronwë posted two or so days ago reminded me of In Wildness is the Preservation of the World ... the book I so treasured all those many years ago ... so off I went into Google world ... and lo! and behold! Here is the very photograph which graced the title page ... tell me if you don't consider this art with a capital 'A'. I am simply astonished at the texture, the mystery, the overwhelming sense of wonder that Elliot Porter was able to capture with his camera.

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Voronwë the Faithful

Wow! That is stunning, Sassy.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Wow! :shock:

Definitely Art! Breathtaking! :love:

And we really need that thread about word meanings - fascinating things Jny!
Prim, I realise now that I mixed it up with "hoarse", which is a similar meaning to "rauh" :oops: - not sure why we should think this frost was rough - maybe there's a different meaning involved - but "whitefrost" fits perfectly! :D