Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Wow!!! Those nebulas are awesome!!!

And Iavas' pictures are exquisite, Eru! He has a wonderful gift. :)

Picture I took at the Badlands this summer:

Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Castlewellan Loch, Northern Ireland
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That's just gorgeous, Eru. So atmospheric, with the glassy water, the dark rocks, and the brooding sky.

It reminds me of one of my son's first computer art images:

though, being real, Iavas's is better.

To atone for posting the unreal, here's a real photo (not one I took):

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Beautiful, all.

I'm late today. Here's a sunset at the Grand Tetons.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I saw almost exactly that view last August, though not at sunset, unfortunately. :love: Beautiful.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Beautiful pics, all! :love:

Fitting with the sunsets, here's the pic Sassy asked me to post a few days ago - a sunset over the clouds (taken from the plane on going home from my first moot two and a half years ago).

but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Last year's first snowfall, from my back door:

We've had no snow at all this year, and it's so dreary. It has been bitterly cold, but that's no fun without snow. :(
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Didn't you have that in your sig on TORC, Ethel? Looks familiar. :)

A real idyll! :love:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

truehobbit wrote:Didn't you have that in your sig on TORC, Ethel? Looks familiar. :)
I did, briefly. Fancy you remembering that! I do love deer. They may eat all the bark off the trees but... they're so pretty.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

I remember, because then, too, I was thrilled with how idyllic it is! :)
Voronwë the Faithful

This picture is in honor of Rodia:

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

It's beautiful - what's Ro got to do with the pic, though?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Is it from the Polish mountains she linked to pictures of?
Voronwë the Faithful

Its from the Tatra Mountains in southern Poland. I'm not sure where the beautiful pictures that Ro posted were from, but they reminded me of what a beautiful country Poland is. My father's family lived outside of Krakow, a little north of this area. Unfortunately, so far as I am aware, other then the branch that came to the U.S before the war, the family no longer exists. Recent discussions here and particularly at board77 have brought these unknown and unknowable relatives of mine to the forefront of my thoughts, which is a good, though painful, thing.

Sorry to post such a serious thing in this this thread, to make up for it, I'll post an extra picture:

Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Is there a protocol in this thread? Is one supposed to observe a certain rhythm? I have posted two pictures and I've felt like they might have been poor choices, or that it was a poor choice to do it at all. I do not wish to offend. I would like to know the rules, if there are any. I had the idea it was just about pretty pictures of nature, but I feel like I'm missing something.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

I think the only rule is "Submit pics of the natural world that make you sw00n in hopes of making others sw00n with you."

I think. ;)

And your pics definitely qualify, Ethel! :love:

Where I live, we too are both blessed and cursed by an abundance of deer. One day I'm screaming at them to get out of my garden, and the next, I'm picking apples off the tree to feed to a doe and her fawn. I'm hopeless. :roll:

This photo, unlike Ethel's, was not taken by me, but it looks so very much like the a great expanse of meadow bordered by woods that I drive by each morning on my way to work...........and yes, at times there ARE that many deer gathered in the rising mists.

Must be VERY tasty grass!

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Voronwë the Faithful

Athrabeth wrote:I think the only rule is "Submit pics of the natural world that make you sw00n in hopes of making others sw00n with you."
That pretty much says it.

Ethel, your pictures have been wonderful. :love:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, if I'm breaking protocol I hope someone will tell me.

This is a picture of the Gergeti glacier and Kazbek mountain, in Caucasus mountain range. It's the setting of TOSIEF (the only story I ever finished).

V, my grandfather came from Warsaw. :hug: Those b77 threads hit me hard, too, but I'm glad people are speaking out as they do. Lord Morningstar put up a great post, erudite as always, and Sister Magpie is an absolute dynamite.

Beautiful pictures, everybody. :love:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Frelga, it reminds me of Jackson's Weathertop. :horse:

And I'd love to read that story one day. :love:

Voronwë, regarding your post about your family in Poland :hug: ........have you read "Everything Is Illuminated" by Jonathan Safran Foer?

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga, I will go and check them out. I needed to back away for my own sanity, and before I said something that I regretted. And how can you be 'breaking protocol by posting a beautiful picture in a thread for beautiful pictures.

Ath, I have not read (or heard of) "Everything Is Illuminated" by Jonathan Safran Foer, but I will seek it out.