Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

This young owl came out for a rare bit of daytime exploring. He was kind enough pose for this picture, taken by yours truly on the grounds of the palatial Whistler estate.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:shock: W, that is one of the most remarkable pictures I have ever seen. :shock:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Photo taken by Iavas_Saar in his village Winterslow, England near Salisbury.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Lovely, Eru! And tell Iavas I said so.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Another lovely pic, Eru! I love the quiet paths through wood and meadow that link so many of the villages in England. Such public walks through commonly held land, or even private land, are just not accepted here. One owner that DID allow the public to walk through an absolutely stunning forest to get to one of the few sandy stretches of beach on our island was sued when a woman (a visiter from the U.S.) fell and broke her arm. The entrance to the trail is now blocked. :cry:

Voronwë, what a starkly beautiful and noble silhouette. And that sky!!! :love:

Here's one that a student of mine used to illustrate a report on leopards. I find the composition so striking because the colour and form of the leopard's body just seems to echo the strong, flowing lines of the branch.

I hope this doesn't stretch the page too much, but I just didn't have the heart to reduce the original.

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Wonderful pic!

Um...I have also wondered how large our images here should be. It seems a shame to shrink them and rob them of their proper impact, but I know that some people have dial-up and so may have to skip them entirely. If anybody has anything to say about this, I'd like to hear it.
Voronwë the Faithful

My opinion is that since this thread is mostly for pictures, people should not feel obliged to shrink them to fit. Of course, ultra-large pictures should probably be avoided, but we haven't had anything approaching that yet.

ETA: And I am one who is on dial-up. :)
Voronwë the Faithful

Kindia, Guinea, West Africa.
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

What a wonderful idea for a thread!

This is a picture I took this summer while visiting my best friend. It was taken from a bridge on top of Box Canyon in Ouray, Colorado.

Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Oooo. Gorgeous canyon, elfshadow.

V., I can't see your Guinea pic. Must be the dial-up :P

Here's my offering for the day.

Could almost be Lothlórien.
You know, just as an aside, it was only after I first read LotR that I actually
saw trees ... as living beings with a sentience much different and probably slower than ours, but aware in ways we cannot imagine.

I like to believe Ents really do walk the earth.:D

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

photo taken by Iavas_Saar, Winterslow, England.
Voronwë the Faithful

Beautiful pictures, Sassy, Elfshadow, and Eru. Eru, that Iavas_Saar fellow is quite the photographer. :)

Sass, here is the Kindia picture:

Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Oh!!!!

<breathless>

Unbelievablely beautiful.

how inadequate words are sometimes.

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Very much agreed, Sassafras :). For all our language can be manipulated, it doesn't truly express the awe we feel when we view pictures such as yours, Iavas', and Voronwë's.
Voronwë the Faithful

Something just a little bit different today.

Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

That site doesn't allow hotlinking.

Hotlinking isn't great net etiquette, btw. It's basically stealing bandwidth.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, Eru. I didn't understand that. I will stop doing that in the future (and I've replaced the image above).
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Lovely pics, all!

I'd like to add a comment on pic size. The mere kb-size of a pic is not so important, I think - when I was on a dial up connection over the weekend I didn't open this thread because it would not have made sense - loading this on dial-up would take ages, unless people really limited themselves to small kb-sizes (which would be nice, too, but I guess is asking too much, especially if people don't know a lot about shrinking pics etc).

However, I thing people should take a look at how large their pic is displayed!
A pic that is bigger than the size of the screen doesn't make sense, IMO, because scrolling up and down doesn't help giving me an idea of the pic - if I can't see it all in one go, its effect is lost.

It would be nice if people thought of that, I think. :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Unfortunately Hobby you can't always know what resolution people are using. I would never use less than 1024x768 and I'm currently at 1280x1024 both at work and at home. At those resolutions I never have to scroll to view a pic.

Alatar