Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Lothlórien:

(Let me know if the picture is too wide.)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:shock:

Thank you, Eru. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

:oops: Voronwë...I might have never seen that lovely post. That's so nice. I don't think there is anything in the world lovelier (and more humbling) than finding that someone speaks well and thinks kindly of you when you are NOT necessarily around to know it.

:oops: :oops:

I'm on the wrong computer to post photos for you, but I have quite a few good ones I'd like to share some day. :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:hug:
I have quite a few good ones I'd like to share some day.
I look forward to it. :)

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

WOW, Eru! Where was that pic taken?

The Panther looks somewhat sad, I think - do you know Rilke's poem "The Panther"? Very pretty pic, though.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Bear Creek, Ansel Adams Wilderness, California Sierra Nevada

elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Eru, that is just gorgeous! :shock:

Ethel, I love Ansel Adams' work. My father is a photographer and Ansel Adams was always his inspiration. I wish I could upload some of my father's pictures here, but I doubt he has them in digital form, and we don't have a scanner.

This is a photo from National Geographic taken by Taylor Kennedy at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - HDT
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

elfshadow wrote:Ethel, I love Ansel Adams' work. My father is a photographer and Ansel Adams was always his inspiration. I wish I could upload some of my father's pictures here, but I doubt he has them in digital form, and we don't have a scanner.
Yes, I love Ansel Adams too. If anyone besides John Muir ever deserved to have part of the Sierra Nevada named for him, it was surely Adams. I took that picture though, on vacation last summer. I'm a fairly crap photographer but it's hard to go tragically wrong with rivers and mountains.

I would love to see your father's pictures. Scanners have become quite inexpensive - you can get a decent one for well under a hundred dollars nowadays - and Christmas is coming. :)

I live in southern Colorado, half a day's drive from the Gunnison. Gorgeous country.
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

My best friend lives in Montrose, also very close to that area :). I wish I could get there more often as it is so beautiful, but I'm in Boulder...and it's six hours away. When I last visited her this summer we drove up to Box Canyon in Ouray and I got some pictures of the waterfall...I think I posted one, but here's another.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - HDT
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Another Coloradan! Ouray is surely one of the loveliest places on earth. And I must say, far less terrifying to drive to from Montrose than from Durango, which is where I live. Have you ever been over Red Mountain in the winter? :shock:

Edited to add: Eru, those are surely aspens in all their fall glory. Is that picture from the Rockies?
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

I've never been up Red Mountain Pass in the winter, but we drove up there last summer...and it's scary enough without snow and ice! I'd be terrified to drive there in the winter. It is gorgeous though, all these enchanting little waterfalls along the edges of the canyon. But I'd prefer to look at it from a non-moving car. ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

Returning to Ulmo's domain:

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Voronwë, that is amazing! :shock: The colors are so vibrant and rich. It's wonderful!
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Reminds me of a Marc Chagall painting.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I finally got a digital camera!
:banana: :banana: :banana:
Took a few shots at the Japanese Tea Garden yesterday, but we only have the included 16MB card, which let me take all of 6 high-res photos. But now I've got with 512MB. PH3AR M3!

A reflection in the pond. It looks much better full size, but that one is 2MB, much too big for Photobucket.

ETA: Rodia's photos aren't good. :P They are astonishing. Spectacular. Magnificent.
:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

Frelga that's so pretty...I'm glad you got a digital, we're in for treats now!
Voronwë the Faithful

Amazing picture, Frelga. I wish I could take pictures like that!

But at least I google well. :P (I'm not 100% that that last picture of mine was really a photo, but it is so beautiful that it hardly matters.)
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Frelga, that is gorgeous! I love the effect of the reflection of the trees in the water combined with the leaves that are literally on top of the water...so beautiful. :)

I have a digital camera, but I haven't been anyplace lately where I've been able to take pictures of anything except suburbia. :roll: Though I could probably find somewhere to get a nice picture of the mountains, since they're so close by.
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

I hope that we'll get a winter like this this year:

It's almost 26 years since I took this photo, in January 1980. :shock:
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Lovely, Rowan! It's been years here, too, since a winter like that.

I didn't take this one:

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King