Climbing Great Buildings

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
eborr

Climbing Great Buildings

Post by eborr »

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but I wanted to draw attention to this short TV series. I would have to say out the outset I was sceptical of the format - some chappie using ropes climbs up things, however tonights show was covering a townscape I know quite well, and the programme was sooper, informed commentary and some wonderful shots. For those in the UK it's available on the i-player outside I guess it might at some stage be covered by a broadcaster

Dr Jonathan Foyle, architectural historian and novice climber, scales Britain's most iconic structures, from the Normans to the present day, to reveal the buildings' secrets and tell the story of how our architecture and construction has developed over 1000 years.

Jonathan's journey takes him to New College in Oxford. Built in 1379, this college set the blueprint for universities all over the world for the next 600 years.

Jonathan climbs the dreaming spires of the College to investigate how the devastation of the Black Death led to an architectural innovation. He tests his newly acquired climbing skills by scaling almost 100 feet to reveal how the enduring symbol of university life - the quadrangle - originated here. On his climbs, he discovers the bishop whose vision it was, and sees how he literally left his mark all over the college in a medieval PR stunt; discovers carvings of English folk tales in the chapel; and traverses a sheer drop of 80 feet to explore how a new glazing technique, known as 'yellow stain', allowed New College to create some of the most magnificent medieval stained glass in the country. (R)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ge_Oxford/