Architectural Photographs

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

But quite lovely, and always a delight to see. :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
eborr

Post by eborr »

Have to admit that I use this as my Desktop background on my laptop, perhaps old-age forces drives us towards sentimentality, have to say this though - once is not now lost - to infinity and beyond !!!!!!!!!!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Indiana University:

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
eborr

Post by eborr »

These are not great photos so apologies

on Saturday last I had to move my eldest from his rooms - pronounced rhums in Queens Oxford. He had a set on the north west corner of the college facing Queens lane. Next year he is moving into graduate accomodation in St Algates, which is probably more comfortable, he probably felt less emotional than I did about his leaving the accomodation in the old college.

views from his windows

this is facing North, you can see in the foreground one of the old barns which has subsequently become part of New college, You can make out the dome of the Radcliffe Camera, and bits of All Souls in the background

this is looking towards the north west and shows the grounds of New College, with the remnants of the city walls in the background.

In the distance you can see some of the buidlings of Wadham, which I think are the original structures of this college c.1680 ish - if you know better pls educate me.

this v poor photo shows the view to the west, with a medieval church which is now the liberay of Teddy Hall.

Just wanted to capture this in case I don't see it's like again. In some ways I have been very privelidged in my life.

I have a real feeling for place, probably someone can explain this in the context of a whole host of psychological problems. But the place does have the atmosphere of the hidden door in the garden wall through which I have only been able to look through rather than enter
eborr

Post by eborr »

another boy is about to start at a school with a degree of antiquity - the school rejoices in the the name of the Henry Box School, and for ye of littel faith Henry Box was a real person.

The building not very well photographed is the original School Room which dates back to 1660. Unfortunately the current head mistress, although she prefers head teacher is a blairite wimmin clone, though hopefully he political antennae is suffciently cute - she will become a Cameronette fairly swiftly

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I love univ snaps, eborr, thank you!! :)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Amazingly enough this was taken with my phone.

These are courtesy of Rebecca and her Canon Sure Shot.

The National Archives:

Wavy ceiling at the courtyard between The National Portrait Gallery and the Smithsonian. (bit blurry)

The Capitol Dome.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Neat! I'm thinking one of our next family vacations needs to be D.C.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

It is a great place to visit and most of the museums/monuments are free.
Easy to get around as well.

The architecture is really nice all around. Even the EPA building. :shock:

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

Canon PowerShot, btw. :P

I took this picture of the Capitol this weekend:

Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Right PowerSHot. That's what I meant to say.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Here are some photos from nearby Clifton Mill; these are thumbnails, so you can click to see the full photo.

Note the log cabin in the background (in picture below).

eborr

Post by eborr »

I made a statement before a previous set of piccys that I wanted to shoot some old building and being the pompous prat that I took some at stonehernge.

Problem with doing something like that is how can you better it, umm not sure there is anything that is better than the great henge, so maybe something older.

This is Waylands Smithy it's a long barrow built in two phases the intial being 3700 bc and the later phase, which you can see in the photo's is from 3400, which is 400 years older than the earliest phases of stonehenge and 1000 years earlier that the great stones.

Wayland is a derivation of Wolund, the norse blacksmith God, and the site was presumably so named by the passing Anglo-Saxons, who presumably could not attribute the work to mere humans

A couple of Barrow-Wights
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

The Barrow-wights are a lot cuter than I imagined them to be! :shock:
eborr

Post by eborr »

Those two are much meaner than anything imagined by JRRT

It's not beyond the bounds of the imagination that Waylands Smithy might have been part of the inspiration for the barrows in LOTR, as it's a short way- 30 metres from the Ridgeway, a prehistoric pathway which is within 20 miles of Oxford, it's also a matter of one mile along the track from the white horse of Uffington.

The site like many ancient places does feel mystical, some people obviously share my feelings as relatively fresh votive offerings had been left, both on top and within the burial chambers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uffington_White_Horse
Last edited by eborr on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I would find places like that fascinating! We have Indian mounds very close by and scattered throughout Ohio, but that's the closest thing we have. (And they are fascinating, too.)
eborr

Post by eborr »

To return to Tolkien and the potential influence of the Waylands smithy on the book, my own impression of the barrow downs is that they were a wild and open landscape, which is not the state of the Smithy at the moment as it is a copse of beech tree's, which would seem to preclude it, having looked at a photo from the 1920's it's clear that the trees are one consequence of the English Heritage and their predecessors owning the site, and in Tolkiens time the barrow may well have been on fairly open uplands.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

And the white horse reminds me of Terry Pratchett's white horse in the Tiffany series. Its vertical in that, and more... flowing, but still...

An architecture pic near home:

eborr

Post by eborr »

talk about co-incidence I am doing some teaching tommorrow at the Ridgeway school, the badge of the school is a white horse, but for some reason they have chosen to depect it as rampant horse in the heraldic style - which rather misses the point.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

NY Sky: