Architectural Photographs

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Earth Hour NY photos:

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

How neat!

I'm afraid I don't know much about Earth Hour. I've pieced together that you're supposed to shut off lights or something. :scratch:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes, shut off lights for an hour. To reduce energy consumption. :)

Its' nice. We lit candles.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That sounds nice. I need to remember to do this next year! Why doesn't it fall on Earth Day? That would make it easier to remember! In fact, what day does it happen?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

March 27th 8:30pm - 9:30 pm

I'd missed it last year too - remembered it this year. there are some great snaps of Earth Day on flickr...
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Thank you! I'll mark my calendar. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

We did it this year and last. It reminded me how pleasant sitting by candlelight can be.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Do lights include laptops? I hope not. :P It doesn't count if I'm using my battery, right?
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - HDT
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

We just got home from the Mansfield Reformatory. You may remember this prison if you've ever seen The Shawshank Redemption. Evidently, the Russian prison from Air Force One was also shot there, and Lil Wayne (L'il? L'il'--you can tell I'm really into rap) shot a music video there. It was really quite interesting and had some amazing architecture. I wish I had a proper camera; I could have really gotten some neat shots. I'm working on posting them now.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 78387177ea
eborr

Post by eborr »

We have moved from the small town where we were living into a village location some 7 miles from Oxford, unfortunately it's not one of the twee Cotswold villages, but a ribon development of no great age, with a rather antisceptic Victorian Church.

However 3/4 down a track is the village of Church Hanborough where St Peter and St Paul have watched over the village for more than 900 years at least.

The church is not an exstant Norman building, but it has been periodically "improved" through the years, giving it an organic development which I think is the mark of some of the best buildings.

Sited between the Thames and the Windrush the church itself is on a slight promentary .

The view from the north - if you look at the windows it's easy to pick out the distinc patters from the small norman "slits" through to the elaborate tracery of the perpendicular.

The jumble of style is nicely seen in from the west end where one of later editions is the stained glass window
one of it's most notable features is the north norman doorway

it features a carving of St Peter the Agnes Dei and the lion of St Mark, apparently reminiscent of work done at Cluny

Inside the church it's easy to pick out the lines of the original norman roof

I have to admit being quite moved by the church an would willingly have spent longer there, but time doth press

Often the beauty is in the small detail, like the remains of painted decoration, recently reavealed, 14 th century roses that had survived the white wash of the puritans, a testement to when these churches were places of light and colour and not the monochrome ediface that so many of them became

sorry that all the picks are not of great quality but I only had a camera phone will me
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That was lovely, eborr. We of course don't have such buildings in North America, especially not in the West where I live. Thank you for sharing these.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

The girls, my parents, and I went to Ripley, Ohio today (a little less than 2 hours away). If you have any interest in the Underground Railroad, Abolitionists, etc., it's worth scrolling through at least. Ripley was a very important town for escaping slaves, and Rev. John Rankin lived here. You'll probably recognize his house at the top of Liberty Hill. It's the iconic UGRR picture. Harriet Beecher (later Stowe) visited here and drew her inspiration for Uncle Tom's Cabin from the stories she heard in Rankin's home.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 6adbeed25b

There were some very moving moments today. Hiking up the 540 foot hill to the Rankin House was at the top of my list. It was hot (about 84F), and I was not dressed well for the weather. Regardless, I would still have been huffing and puffing. 540 feet is a lot to hike up! But I walked on the same path escaping slaves walked, desperate for safety and freedom. Eliza with her baby and so many others, around 2000, in fact.

It was just...very moving.
eborr

Post by eborr »

This has always been one of my favourite threads and I am concious of not posting for a long time. This is quite an old picture and perhaps a little cheesy. The building is a tiny Byzantine Church/Shrine on the Acropolis hill a bit further up from the Theatre of Dionysus, I guess the time would be about 6:00 pm

Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That's beautiful!
eborr

Post by eborr »

Now for something a little different we recently did some work at the Brixton Academy.

This venue has an intriguing surround to the stage which I didn't capture well

Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

In my recent trip to Lake Tahoe, I visited Vikingsholm, a Scandinavian period style architectural masterpiece, on the shores of Emerald Bay.

Here's the main house, fronting the bay. This was built in just a few months .... using 200 laborers/craftsmen, and all local materials (except the mortar and the stained glass windows).

The master bedroom is upstairs in the turret.

Not sure if this is a port corchere or a sally port, but it's what you drive thru to get to the inner court yard. Note the crossed dragons on the roofline, to keep everyone safe (pre Christian motif)

Everything had carvings on it, even the posts holding up the directional signs.

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Architectural Photographs

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I never knew that these stairs existed in the Concrete Jungle by the Bay.

http://www.tiledsteps.org/
Attachments
stairs1.jpg
stairs1.jpg (140.21 KiB) Viewed 13072 times
stairs2.jpg
stairs2.jpg (121.24 KiB) Viewed 13072 times
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

How lovely! Surely helps take the mind off of tired legs when climbing...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Gorgeous!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I saw those on FB. Those are so pretty! (I just shared them with the girls, too, who were equally appreciative.)

narya, that is such a neat building!

eborr, very cool!