Architectural Photographs

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Tigg, all four pictures are linked from my Photobucket account - I can't imagine why two would show up and two wouldn't. If they're still not showing up for you, I can post the links to the original pictures if you want.

Rowanberry - thanks :)

V, it turns out that the oldest school in America is in, of all places, Massachusetts. Boston Latin School was founded on April 23, 1635. :P
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
TIGG
ta'veren'

Post by TIGG »

TP, I got them all to show this time, maybe my computer was being slow and I gave up too soon before, the Summer picture is lovely. So soft, It leaves me wanting to go sit under those trees in the dappled light.

Spring: isn't it amazing the difference in colors between seasons? Spring has that 'new green' look.

Ruins at the Cathedral St Andrews, Scotland ( Not my photo, my husbands)
da TIGG is back and bouncin'
Face Book ID Kathy Roper ( New Zealand)
TIGG
ta'veren'

Post by TIGG »

Time for a change of pace:

a Manx Cottage, taken at Cregneash on the Isle of Mann

MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

Those cliff dwellings are incredible! It boggles my mind that people actually lived in and built those.

TP, that series is lovely. What a nice place. :)

TIGG! :bow: :love:

St. Andrews is one of my favourite places in the world! (Limited experience of the world, but still.)

And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Flowers in front of the church altar, Iona, Scotland:

truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Haven't been in this thread for way too long! :)

tp, the tales of Crim Dell are great! :D And the pics lovely! :)

TIGG, I also thought that detail from the Eiffel tower showed very well how all that steel manages to look light and woven. :)

And Scotland is just always lovely! :love:

The Crim Dell bridge reminded me of my own favourite bridge - Clare College Bridge in Cambridge :) :

(Let me know if the pic is too big, I've got a smaller version, too. :) )
TIGG
ta'veren'

Post by TIGG »

Sunsilver :D, Beautiful detail and the structure of the photo works so well :D

TP, wow... autumn tones, water, reflections and bridges... :love:

Maiden of the Shieldarm. Looks like we were both there on rainy dayss. :D
Your photos are so much brighter, I wonder if you had more sun?, the colors seem more crisp, or could it be because my cameras are digital and only set at 1 Megapixel?. Looking at both your photos, we took pictures from almost the exact same places :D, I think we should compare more. =:)

but for now: (my photo)

and (PoohBear's Photo)

of the same harbour, Castletown, Isle of Mann

( he has a better eye for composition and light than I do :cry: )
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

Sunsilver, lovely photo. It looks very timeless. :)

TIGG, it'd be hard not to be there on a rainy day. ;) It drizzled, at least, almost every day I was there. It's neat to think that at different point in time, we were both standing in almost the exact same place. :) I wish I had more photos of St. Andrews. I lost 400 photos when my laptop died, so most of them are of the Cathedral. Your photos of the Isle of Mann are wonderful. So weird to see something so modern and something so old all in one photo.

Another view, replete with St. Rule's.

And, moving south, the courtyard at the British Museum:

And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
TIGG
ta'veren'

Post by TIGG »

OH... I haven't a photograph with such a panoramic view. :shock: , That really gives the feel of the diversity of the place. I loved St Andrews :love:

We only spent 2 days there, as we squeezed them into the middle of our holiday to visit relatives. My uncle was an Art teacher, and his paintings hang in the ST Andrews Golf Club, where he is a member. ( we had dinner reservations to eat at the Old Course during the Dunhill Open in October, but as we were travelling light had nothing suitable to wear. :( , and had to cancel out. )

We spent 3 days on the Isle of Man, which is my ancestoral home, and we could easily have spent 3 weeks, we loved it so, hopefully we will go back for the TT races in 2007, and spend more time, both there and St Andrews.

And I love :love: the courtyard photograph.

2 photos I took as Truehobbit, Pooh Bear and myself hurried to the Eiffel Tower in Paris. I have no idea of the the name of the building, but its attempt to merge with nature amused and intrigued me.:

eborr

Post by eborr »

just this one, quite a cheesy shot looking out across the Agora
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

The agora of where, eborr? ;) Lovely pic! :)

TIGG - I don't remember having seen the pic! Great! :D I remember the house! :D

Mossy, I took a pic of that roof as well some years ago - modern architecture can be great, can't it? :love:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
eborr

Post by eborr »

Sorry the Agora is any Greek market and centre of Govt. the but I guess since when you say the Acropolis, you generally mean the Acropolis in Athens, then the Agora is the Agora in Athens
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

But you didn't mention the Acropolis! ;)

So, this is Athens? In the twilight, I would have thought it is a small town.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
eborr

Post by eborr »

truehobbit wrote:But you didn't mention the Acropolis! ;)

So, this is Athens? In the twilight, I would have thought it is a small town.
I am off to Athens tommorow - so hopefully will get some piccy's of the Acropolis in the next couple of days - am spending most of my time out at Marousi, but should have a little time.

There is a particular shot of a Byzantine church which is built on top of both classical greek and Roman stuff that I want to photograph, last time I was there the light was wrong -

If it works I will certainly post
eborr

Post by eborr »

a few from tonight, tried to get the twilight but didn't really work - effectively have day off tommorow so more of Aropolis, inside hopefully together with agora and temple of olympian zeus

early evening Pathenon over the Odeon

20 minutes later on same church as an earlier post but without cheesy sunset

this sums up modern athens nicely Yellow cab rushes past Hadrians arch f0r those wilth good eyesight you can just see the temple of Olympian Zeus in the background.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Lovely pics, thanks eborr! :) I love the violet twilight colour in the first one!

Are you there on holiday just now?
eborr

Post by eborr »

truehobbit wrote:Lovely pics, thanks eborr! :) I love the violet twilight colour in the first one!

Are you there on holiday just now?
no working
eborr

Post by eborr »

sorry if this bores, it is entirely self indulgent

This first photo is looking down at the Theater of Dionysous from the Acropolis mountain

it gives you some idea, of the size of the thing, that in ancient times the seating went back to where I am standing

Allmost a front row seat.

I had a real feeling of awe when I considered for a moment, 2500 years ago people were seeing the tradgedies of Aeschylus as where man were manipulated and played with by fickle gods, and how Aristophenes teased politicians, it's funny how some places can do this to you, I have had similar feelings at henge monuments and in the great cathedrals.

As we enter an age of barbarism where it's hard to distinguish between the forces of good and evil, it seems we have not progressed very far in 2 and a half millenia. I will agree with the Emporer Julian, christiannities greatest crime was and is in the suppression of the Hellenist thought, preferring to replace reason with faith and humanity with relegiosity.

Hopefully you can pick out stuff, this is a view from the east side of the parthenon rock, you can see the arch of Hadrian and the Temple of Olympian Zeus, and just in the backgound, the stadium amid the trees

Found this little Christian Shrine on the slope of the mountain, no idea of date, made up of robbed stone, seems to be used as a storehouse, there is a roll of kitchen paper in the window, doubtless Christians will be pleased to see a house of God amongst the Pagen

Not sure how easy this is to pick out, but it's the sort of thing which I really quite like

in a small space you can see human endeavour spread out before you, at the front is the foundations of a small classical temple, to the left a Byzantine period cistern and to the right a fountain (well) of the Archaic period, all topped off by a modern switch box at the back

The Acropolis is still more a building site than anything else

Even so framed with cranes and scaffolding the Parthenon is a thing a such majesty that my annoyance with the gibbering grockles is lost

Last for now the Erecthion allways sublime

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Great stuff, eborr! Thanks for sharing it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Are they reconstructing the Parthenon? :shock: Well, I guess it wasn't blown up that long ago.

I was there in 1969 and you could wander freely everywhere, even inside the accessible ruins—is that still the case? (Obviously not in the construction areas.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King