Architectural Photographs

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Not sure if this should be here or in the Nature thread...

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Rome is so lovely! :)
I was irritated by the pompous notice saying that this was a Christian place of worship and should be respected as such,
If you think asking some respect in a place of worship is asking too much, I'm afraid I think you need some attitude adjustment.

Eru, wow, the structure in that pic is totally beautiful! :)

Alatar - it's great! :) It would have fitted perfectly in to the "There alway, alway something sings"-thread! ;)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
eborr

Post by eborr »

truehobbit wrote:Rome is so lovely! :)
I was irritated by the pompous notice saying that this was a Christian place of worship and should be respected as such,
If you think asking some respect in a place of worship is asking too much, I'm afraid I think you need some attitude adjustment.
You miss the point - it was not originally a Christian place of worship - it was dedicated to all the gods - if they had simply said it is a place of worship then fine - but to claim it as there own is simply justifiying their missaproriation
TIGG
ta'veren'

Post by TIGG »

eborr,

one day I want to be in Rome with you, so you can take me to your favourite places. Your photos are amazing.

I was feeling down and called in here, and now I feel less down.

Thanks for reminding me there is life outside my wee world.
da TIGG is back and bouncin'
Face Book ID Kathy Roper ( New Zealand)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Hi TIGG. :hug:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
TIGG
ta'veren'

Post by TIGG »

Hi VtF,

:hug:

don't be too nice to me, I might just start :cry: ing again.

truly the beauty in the photos here do help to uplift the spirit.

hope you are well, cramming everything in one post so I don't stay here too long. :hug: for you I read somewhere you had an operation? :hug: for a rapid recovery.
da TIGG is back and bouncin'
Face Book ID Kathy Roper ( New Zealand)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

don't be too nice to me,
Sorry TIGGer, that's one request I can't follow. You're too nice not to be nice to. Or, in the immortal words of Frank Burns, "its nice to be nice to the nice."

:hug:

(Thanks for the good wishes. I am healing nicely with so much good energy coming my way.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
eborr

Post by eborr »

TIGG wrote:eborr,

one day I want to be in Rome with you, so you can take me to your favourite places. Your photos are amazing.

I was feeling down and called in here, and now I feel less down.

Thanks for reminding me there is life outside my wee world.
That would be nothing but a pleasure, I always get a strange kind of comfort about these ancient places where people have been - it's the same in York Minster, in the Parthenon, on the Iron Age Hillforts, in the Neolithic henges and camps.

The nearest I get to anything spiritual
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

You miss the point - it was not originally a Christian place of worship - it was dedicated to all the gods - if they had simply said it is a place of worship then fine - but to claim it as there own is simply justifiying their missaproriation
Ok, I see what you mean.
So, would you feel the same outrage if there was a similar sign at the entrance to the Hagia Sophia?

(Well, it's a bad example, as it's not used as a Mosque anymore, I think. But still, changes do happen. There are no more people who'd want to venerate the Roman pantheon of gods in the Pantheon, so if it weren't a church it wouldn't be a place of worship.)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
eborr

Post by eborr »

truehobbit wrote:
Ok, I see what you mean.
So, would you feel the same outrage if there was a similar sign at the entrance to the Hagia Sophia?
Most certainly -

refering backto the place of worship thingy - I would add a couple of pointers -

1. I suspect the majority of people who visit the pantheon - do so as it is the Pantheon - not the church of Mary and all the Martyrs -

2. The Romans desire to build and construct temples was not motivated by the same desire to create a "place of worship" in the Judeao -Christian or even Islamic intent - they built temples for prestige and to "honour" the Gods, not as sheds for folk to mumble lintany in.

I am grateflu for your comments as it is leading me to think about the purpose of ancient buildings - are they simply monuments to mans achievements, or should they b e put to "good use"

that is a subjcet worthy of some pondering.

btw my initial comments were written in the context of the damage that the renaissence era popes did to the ancient buildings of Rome
eborr

Post by eborr »

view from the roof of my current fave hotel

the Vittriano on the Capitol can't building in foreground possibly temple of Divine Julius in the Forum Nerva

looking straight down into the Nerva forum I am looking from the 6th floor

this must be a great place to eat in the evenings, unfortunately the restaurant whilst good is not great - but the prices are so, other than
breakfast I never eat here

just shifted the Camera angle up a bit - looking across Musso's road to the Imperial forum with the reamins of the Basilica Aemelias just beyond the road and the huge temple Julia in the background - on the left edge of the shot you can just make our some of the palatine

hmm piccy are a little small if you want bigger let me know
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

I was talking to someone yesterday who had just returned from Mexico City. She stayed in the same little hotel that we have grown to love so much.....just across the Reforma from the Zona Rosa....down the street from a flower market :love: .

Anyway, the Museum of Anthropology came up, and we both agreed that its courtyard is quite the experience:

There's this never-ending cascade of water that just rains down from the centre of the huge canopy. And the breezes blowing through the papyrus make the loveliest whisping (new word?) sounds

I :love: Mexico City.

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
ateelah

Post by ateelah »

I realized that I should have posted these images in this thread.

:oops:

In May of 1987 we went to visit my parents, who were living in Virginia at the time. My grandfather, who lived in New Jersey, passed away during our visit. We drove 14 hours to get there, to attend the wake & then the funeral. Before heading back down to Virginia, my husband asked if we could drive into New York City. He's a California native and had never been there. My dad agreed and we did kind of mini-loop, going over through the Holland Tunnel & coming back by way of the Staten Island Ferry. These are the last views I have of New York because I haven't been back since then.

Leaving Manhattan:

Two views of Manhattan & the WTC from the ferry:

truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

More my kind of city:

I found this on the internet and had to save it - it's not my pic, but it perfectly shows what I found Stockholm to be like. :love:
ateelah

Post by ateelah »

The city hall in Ventura is built in a neoclassical style. I don't like photographing buildings in general, but I did like the way the white marble looked against the blue sky on the day I took this.

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

And a slightly altered:

eborr

Post by eborr »

View from a hotel window, not a great picture but a pretty good building,

The Union Building and Gardens in Pretoria, architect Herbert Baker

truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

I think it's a lovely pic, eborr! :)

ateelah, that's awesome! Doesn't matter it's not really old, with just the corner of it in the pic, you could easily imagine it's some ancient Greek building, only when it was new.
Great composition of colours and shapes.

ax - what is that? :shock:
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

This certainly isn't a building that no one has ever seen before, but I liked the brilliance of the colors. I took it today, it was a beautiful and brisk day, with a nearly clear sky. :)

This was the best shot that I got of the Washington Monument, but it's not as clear as I would have liked it to be. I guess I couldn't have done much else with only a digital camera. I did like the sunshine coming in from the left, though.

cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Elsha, thank you sooo much for posting those! :D

I loved my time in DC very much and seeing those pictures brought back wonderful memories!!

They are also very lovely pictures! :love: