Architectural Photographs

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Architectural Photographs

Post by Jude »

Aerial views of Europe

I thought this one was amazing:

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

You thought right!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

And you get the last bag of groceries upstairs and then remember the stuff from the drugstore is still in the trunk.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Gorgeous, thanks Jude! I'm hoping to visit Barcelona next summer, and the Sagrada Familia is a must see, naturally. Budapest is another city on my bucket list...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Primula Baggins wrote:And you get the last bag of groceries upstairs and then remember the stuff from the drugstore is still in the trunk.
:rofl:

But it is incredible.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

One word: elevator. ;)

Pardon my typos - tiny phone keyboard probs.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Seriously...how?!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Now that's a true introvert's dwelling.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425594618.402655.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425594618.402655.jpg (30.25 KiB) Viewed 19006 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425594605.636954.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425594605.636954.jpg (31.79 KiB) Viewed 19006 times
Madison Square Park, NY, NY

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Those are lovely, Inanna. Are they glass sculptures? And are they a special installation?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

The stuff inside those globes is garbage. The globes are either Plastic or glass, I don't actually know. MSQ park has a new art installation every 3-4 months. This is the latest one. :)

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

My sister posted almost the same pictures on Facebook (she works next to Madison Square Park).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Aah. Yeah, I work two blocks from there & walk across it on the way to work. It's a lovely spot. :)

---------------
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

All Saints Pontefract Church, in Yorkshire

There was a church here since at least before 1086. The present church dates from the 1300's, with some more recent additions.
AllSaintsPontefract1.jpg
AllSaintsPontefract1.jpg (63.65 KiB) Viewed 18972 times
AllSaintsPontefract2.jpg
AllSaintsPontefract2.jpg (57.12 KiB) Viewed 18972 times
AllSaintsPontefract3.jpg
AllSaintsPontefract3.jpg (26.12 KiB) Viewed 18972 times
... tried to add a 4th picture, but apparently we have a maximum of 3 attachments per post. Do we want it to stay that way?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That's beautiful!

---------------
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Thanks!

And here's the other one I tried to post:
AllSaintsPontefract4.jpg
AllSaintsPontefract4.jpg (58.6 KiB) Viewed 18969 times
And here is the church seen from Pontefract Castle - you can clearly see the distinction between the parts from the 1300's, and the more modern parts ("more modern" meaning added a bit at a time between the 16th and 19th century):
AllSaintsPontefract5.jpg
AllSaintsPontefract5.jpg (71.61 KiB) Viewed 18969 times
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Very nice, Jude. Seems I need to do some more travelling north of London! ;) Although I was in Oxford today, so I guess that counts!

Are you going to post your pictures of my beloved Chichester on here? :wooper:

ETA: Ignore that, I just saw your link in the M00t thread!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

It's a bit of a shock to see a parking lot & suburbia next to that church.

---------------
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I got to walk right through and among Stonehenge and touch it (which you were still allowed to do 40 years ago). Stonehenge was as old as the oldest parts of that church at the time of the Trojan War.

That said, how cool is that church! The oldest building in the city where I live is not even 150 years old. The oldest building in the entire state isn't 170 years old. I think what that does to mindset of people around here—except for the Native Americans, nobody here has anything you could call history or an ancestry in this place. I'm an old settler because my father was born here! My grandfather wasn't.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

If you check out Jude's pictures in his visiting Britain thread, Prim, Chichester cathedral is over 900 years old! And the city wall date back to Roman times. It's always nice to see other's enthusiasm and appreciation for our heritage...when it's all around you on a day to day basis you don't have the same perspective. It's good to be reminded that I should value it more...
~Diana Cortes