The Middle-earth 1200

An exhaustive compilation of the characters of Tolkien's legendarium, in order of importance, by Dân o Nandor on Anduin
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yay! Welcome back! Thrilled to see this list continue! And yes, that is a lot of exclamation points!!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: The Middle-earth 1200

Post by yovargas »

Dân o Nandor on Anduin wrote:A long time, yes, but we’re in a lull, lucky if first Hobbit movie is released in this time...

:D
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

For those who weren't around when this massive endeavor was started, the full list so far can be seen in the sticky thread at the top of the forum (at viewtopic.php?t=2904).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

Post by Dân o Nandor on Anduin »

:blackeye: :) = to yovargas' message of course. Glad to be back VtF!
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

Ok, so a couple posts a week should do it before Film #3, and the close of 2014... Good luck, you say? Indeed!

We now start 8pt characters, specifically hobbits...

#840 Isengar Took youngest child of The Old Took
#839 Doderic Brandybuck eldest son of Seredic
#838 Minto Burrows youngest child of Milo
#837 Moro Burrows 2nd son of Milo
#836 Mimosa Bunce>Baggins mother of 2
#835 Ponto Baggins son of Posco
#834 Daisy Baggins>Boffin mother of Tosto
#833 Filibert Bolger husband of Poppy Chubb-Baggins
#832 Prisca Baggins>Bolger mother of 3
#831 Wilibald Bolger husband of Prisca Baggins
#830 Falco Chubb-Baggins son of Bingo
#829 Polo Baggins son of Ponto
#828 Dudo Baggins younger brother of Drogo
#827 Mosco Burrows eldest son of Milo
#826 Rowan ‘greenhanded’>Gammidge mother of Hobson
#825 Sadoc Brandybuck 2nd son of Gormadoc
#824 Bilbo Gardner 5th son of Samwise
#823 Daisy Gardner 4th daughter of Samwise
#822 Orgulas Brandybuck younger brother of Gorbadoc
#821 Malva Headstrong>Brandybuck mother of Madoc
Voronwë the Faithful

Remind us of the point system, and why these are 8 pt characters, compared to the last batch of sevens.
Morwenna

Post by Morwenna »

I'm so glad to see this list continue!
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

I’m going to start using CT’s asterisk designation from Unfinished Tales’ index to signify characters who made their 1st appearance (publishing-wise) in UT, and extend the concept through HoMe, etc (ie only Hobbit, LotR & Sil characters non-asterisked). Thus the 1st 2 characters below...

10 more hobbits:

#820 *Caramella Chubb
An unpunctual, but likable niece of Bilbo, who made it through most of the drafts of Bilbo’s parting gifts list. She was a Took, Bolger, lastly Chubb, before not making the final cut, but as you know that doesn’t prevent her inclusion on this list. Her gift was a clock with the inscription, “For Caramella… with kind remembrances from her uncle”. She pushed her likability over the limit with Bilbo when she showed up for tea late declaring his clock was fast. “Bilbo’s clocks were never either slow or fast, and he did not forget it”. All her 8pts come from HoMe6.

#819 *Colombo Hornblower
He shares an identical path with Caramella above. He was given a barometer with the inscription “treat it as your own”, since he “used to bang it with a large fat finger whenever he came to call”, and “was afraid of getting wet, and wore a scarf and macintosh all year round”. Ditto on the pts above.

#818 Hildibrand Took 8th son of The Old Took
Two of Gerontius’ sons (see below) that lived lived long & prospered. Hildibrand, Fatty Bolger’s great-grandfather, lived to 85.

#817 Isembard Took 7th son of The Old Took
Isembard, had at least 4 great-grandchildren, and lived to 99.

#816 Hildifons Took 6th son of The Old Took
Hildifons, on the other hand, apparently “went off on a journey and never returned”.

#815 May Gamgee daughter of Hobson
As Roper Gamgee’s daughter, she was of course Sam’s aunt. However, she’s given no listed descendants or death date.

#814Halfred of Overhill younger brother of Hamfast Gamgee
And as The Gaffer’s brother, he was Sam’s uncle.

#813 Cottar father of Cotman
Progenitor of the Cottons of Bywater, and Rosie’s great-great grandfather.

#812 Bell Goodchild>Gamgee mother of Samwise
The Gaffer’s wife is the lowest ranked mother of the 5 hobbits – Bilbo & the Fellowship. Even Rosie’s mother is ahead soon.

#811 The Widow Rumble
This mystery woman looked after Gaffer in his elder days. Except for her 1pg index in LotR, her only pts come from the internet (EoA & Wiki) – strangely absent from Foster & Tyler (other than the former listing her family name).

Next, assorted other men, elves & creatures...

(And it'll be a good place to quickly give a points rundown VtF, as we'll actually be ONE 3RD DONE!)
Voronwë the Faithful

The Widow Rumble!

Cool that we'll be one third done. And it hasn't even been four years yet!
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

*=as in CT's indexing in UT (ie. characters not appearing in Hobbit/LotR/AdvTB/Sil)

#810 Fastred rider of Rohan
The 1st of 2 entries found only in verse in LotR, Fastred is listed among the dead in the ‘Song of the Mounds of Mundberg’. Despite his brevity of reference, he gets 2pts from each of LotR, Foster, Tyler, & HoMe8 – because, well, it’s the Mounds of Mundberg!

#809 Orofarnë rowan-tree of Fangorn
Likewise, Orofarnë is listed among the dead in ‘O Orofarnë, Lassemista, Carnimirië!’ - 3pts each from Foster & EoA, 1pt each from LotR & Tyler.

#808 *Irimë daughter of Finwë
Finwë’s elder 2 daughters appeared earlier on the list, and Tolkien’s history with all 3 is slightly confusing. However, describing his father’s genealogies of the early ‘60’s, CT says “in all these tables there are still three daughters… Findis, Faniel, and Irimë”; and notes it ‘strange’ that the later Shibboleth mentions only 2 daughters. However, the youngest there is still named Irimë or Irien, who goes into exile with Fingolfin. I make the connection in the name, thus her slightly higher station. Points from HoMe’s 10 & 12, and of course Arda Reconstructed (footnoting the same oddity as CT above).

#807 *Hallacar Lord of Hyarastorni
He is son of Hallatan, the sheep-lord of Hyarastorni in the Mittalmar (Inlands) of Númenór, and a descendant of Elros. Hallacar is in fact the youngest child x 5 after Vardamir Nólimon. His attempts to win heiress Ancalimë’s hand in marriage, met long with rejection. He was eventually successful, but in no version of the story, was it through love. Their union, ending in hatred, nonetheless continued the royal line through their son Tar-Anárion.

#806 *Danuin, son of Aluin
Danuin (Day) is the 3rd of 4 controversial entries from the Lost Tales, whom I’ve classified as miscellaneous Maia. He appears in Verlyn Flieger’s article on ‘Time’ in Drout, along with brother Ranuin & father Aluin (Time). Danuin gets 7pts from the BoLT1 index, & 1pt from Drout.

#805 *Larnach the Woodman
One of the Woodmen in the lands south of Teiglin. In the Narn & CoH it was his daughter (found near the beginning of this list) whom Túrin saved from being raped by 2 of his Outlaw companions, one he slew. In bloodlust she declared her father would reward the bringing of both their heads. Later Beleg, seeking Túrin, ran into Larnach & daughter, thus hearing the tale. He gets 2pts each from UT & CoH, and 4pts from Wiki.

#804 *Ulbandi the ogress
She was the mother of Gothmog Lord of Balrogs, Morgoth the father, at least in the Lost Tales. Ulbandi gets 2pts from HoMe1, 5pts from HoMe2, including the name-list, & 1pt from Wiki.

#803 Squint-eyed Southerner
Little I need or should say of this character, except that upon further investigation I think I’ll add a 17th racial classification to my list – that of half-orc – despite CT’s statements in HoMe6 (and the blatant D&D reference). He gets all 8pts straight from JRRT & CT, indexed in LotR, HoMe6 & 7. It seems all compendium-compilers steered clear away!

#802 Angrim father of Gorlim the Unhappy
Paternity is his only claim to fame, when Gorlim is introduced as a companion of Barahir. His points are spread out 2 each from Foster, Tyler, HoMe5, and 1 each from the Sil & Wiki.

#801 Aranwë father of Voronwë
Likewise above, is this elf of Gondolin of the House of Fingolfin, whose name means ‘Kingly’ as Tyler speculates. His pts are also spread out: 2 each from UT & EoA, and 1 each from Foster, Tyler, Wiki, & the Sil.

Thus we end the 1st third of this list with a tribute of sorts – to the father of the host!

And as he requested, a quick update on how the points were awarded (see the top of pg 1 of this thread for the rationale and sources used):
1pt for each line found in each of the worded entries of the guides/compendiums/etc; 1pt per 20-words of wordcounts done for the online sources; 1pt for each wordline in a name-list used; & 1pt for each indexed line in all back indices of books used, except UT & HoMe which get 2pts each, since many of the sources above do not include them. I’ve tried to arrange characters of equal point value by the # of total pages indexed. (I wasn’t willing or able to do this with the current batch of 8pt characters, but hope to return to it). The editions of the books chosen are of course my own, and any ‘rounding up or down’ were my choices.

(btw VtF, #841 has been updated, so can the master-list)

Onward!
Last edited by Dân o Nandor on Anduin on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

Got it, thanks.

Glad to see my daddy's appearance, concluding the first third.
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

*=as in CT's indexing in UT (ie. characters not appearing in Hobbit/LotR/AdvTB/Sil)

#800 *Angelimir 20th Prince of Dol Amroth
He was the grandfather of Prince Imrahil, and 20th in line from Galador, 1st Lord of Dol Amroth, himself son of Imrazôr the Númenórean of Belfalas, and Mithrellas the sylvan lady of Lórien. He lived to 111. His points are evenly split between UT & HoMe12.

#799 *Isilmo son of Tar-Súrion
As the younger brother of unwed & long-lived Tar-Telperiën, Isilmo’s son became Tar-Minastir. Some speculation exists that he may have become the Witch-King due to the perfect timing and possible desire for a Kingship denied him by new laws. However, Tar-Telperiën’s death would have made him King regardless, a prospect neither he nor Sauron would have resisted. For this reason I easily keep their entries separate (and he won’t be the last character for which such a decision is made). He gets 2pts for his simple reference in UT, and 6pts by Wiki (& WiKi).

#798 *Beleth daughter of Bregolas
Incorrectly identified in UT as ‘Bereth’, the elder sister of Baragund & Belegund is identified as an ancestress of Erendis of Númenor. Kane cites her on the list of CT’s female exclusions. She gets 4pts from HoMe11, 2pts from UT, 1pt each from Arda Reconstructed & Wiki.

#797 *Adanel the Wise-Woman
She was the 3rd House’s equivalent to Andreth, and in fact married Belemir of the 1st House, becoming the great-grandmother of Beren Erchamion. Her ‘Tale of Adanel’ was said to be preserved together with the ‘Athrabeth’ in the historical records of Númenor. The latter document incorrectly identifies her as sister to Hador instead of Magor. She gets 4pts from HoMe10, 2pts from HoMe11, 1pt each from Kane & Wiki.

#796 *Ban father of Blodren
Ban is the father of Blodren the traitor, an Easterling imprisoned by Morgoth and released to search for and betray Túrin. He gets 2pts each from HoMe’s 3, 4, 5, 11.

#795 Golasgil Lord of Anfalas
From the Anfalas, or Langstrand, Golasgil brought a long line of ‘scantily equipped’ men, hunters & herdsmen, to the defense of Minas Tirith in the War of the Ring. He gets 2pts each from Foster, EoArda, & HoMe8, and 1pt from LotR & Tyler.

#794 *Tulkastor father of Vairë of Eressëa
He’s the father of Vairë, & father-in-law of Lindo, who are the master & mistress of the Cottage of Lost Play at the time of Eriol. Lindo speaks of Tulkastor in the past tense, saying he “was of Aulë’s kindred” but dwelt a long time with the Teleri, “and so came among the earliest to the island”. He gets all 8pts from HoMe1, including the name-list.

#793 *Rupert Dolbear
‘Ruthless Rufus’, as he was known to the other members of the Notion Club, was a Research Chemist with interests in philosophy, psychoanalysis & gardening. CT states “with his red hair and beard and his nickname in the Club he can be seen as a sort of parody of” the Inkling Dr. Robert Havard. All 8pts come from HoMe9.

#792 *Ufedhin gnome-smith of Doriath
This renegade Noldo Elf, along with the Dwarf below, conspire to make the original tale of the Ruin of Doriath the bloody treat that it is. Ufedhin wore a “tunic of golden web and a belt of gold set with tiny gems; and his sword was damasked in strange wise, but a collar of gold and silver interlaced most intricate was round his neck”. Thingol’s “raiment could in no wise compare with that of the wayfarer in his halls”, who boldly inquires as to the manner in which the King guards the Silmaril. And so it begins… Thingol’s ‘ensnarer’ gets all 8pts from HoMe2, including the name-list.

#791 *Naugladur Lord of Nogrod
Then there’s Naugladur! “By his deeds have the Dwarves been severed in feud for ever since those days with the Elves”. Conspiring with renegade Elves, Belegost Dwarves, and even Orcs, this lord of the Nauglath hatches the plan to ambush Thingol while hunting. Later, with Melian upon her throne and Ufedhin laughing, “behold, Naugladur entered [and] he bore the head of [Thingol] crowned and helmed in gold; but the necklace of all wonder was clasped about [his] throat”. Melian: “Thief and murderer, child of Melko, yet art thou a fool, for thou canst not see what hangs over thine own head”. “Then did Naugladur laugh till his beard shook, and bid seize her: but none might do so…” Beren eventually rescues the Silmaril, slaying Naugladur with his own sword: “I will not sully my bright blade with thy dark blood”. Rateliff devotes 3pgs to this episode in History of the Hobbit. He gets 4pts from HoMe2, 3pts from Rateliff, & 1pt from Drout.
Voronwë the Faithful

I can't speak for anyone else but I find this endlessly fascinating! I'm so appreciative of the incredible amount work that goes into it.
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

@=guest at Bilbo’s Farewell Party

These 3 are the last 8-point characters:

#790 Princess Mee
The subject of a nonsense poem apparently scribbled by an anonymous hand in a margin of the Red Book of Westmarch. Her only points come from compendium-compilers Foster & Tyler.

#789 *Aluin the Time-weaver
His sons Fanuin, Ranuin & Danuin appeared within the past 100 on the list. Finally Father Time chimes in. He gets 7pts from HoMe1, name-list included, & 1pt for Flieger’s article in Drout.

#788 *Beorn uncle of Eriol
Beorn, in siege with Eoh, slew his brother and destroyed his castle, leaving Eriol a wandering orphan, embarking on a seafaring path. Thus Beorn is indirectly responsible for bringing us the Lost Tales! All 8pts are from HoMe’s 1 & 2.

With 9pt characters I get back to the practice of ranking characters of equal points by the total # of pages indexed; & if equal still, then by the total # of sources used. So from here on in, virtually objective standings. And we start off our 9-pointers with those having only 1 indexed page to their name:

These hobbits appear only on 1 family-tree & without added info; their other 8pts come from Foster, EoArda & Wiki:

#787 Gilly Brownlock>Baggins mother of Ponto @
#786 Rufus Burrows husband of Asphodel Brandybuck
#785 Porto Baggins son of Posco @
#784 Reginard Took son of Adelard @
#783 Isumbras IV Took 28th Thain of the Shire
#782 Fortinbras II Took 29th Thain of the Shire
#781 Celandine Brandybuck daughter of Seredic @
#780 Ilberic Brandybuck son of Seredic @
#779 Seredic Brandybuck son of Saradas @
#778 Merimac Brandybuck 2nd son of Rorimac @
#777 Madoc ‘Proudneck’ Brandybuck Master of Buckland

These hobbits also appear only on 1 tree, WITH added info (by Tolkien on tree, or other compiler), Tyler being the only additional source:

#776 Hildigard Took 2nd son of the Old Took
He was born sometime between 2833 & 2837 T.A., but “he died young”, date unrecorded.

#775 Longo Baggins husband of Camellia Sackville
The indirect progenitor of the Sackville-Bagginses, having married Camellia - their son Otho adopting the hyphenated name.

#774 May Gamgee older sister of Samwise
She’s the 2nd daughter and 4th child of Hamfast, and named after the Gaffer’s only sister.

#773 Halfred Gamgee older brother of Samwise
He’s the 2nd son of Hamfast, and “removed to the Northfarthing”.

#772 Wiseman Gamwich son of Hamfast
The son of Hamfast of Gamwich, progenitor of the Gamgee family. Wiseman “removed to Tighfield", where he was probably a Roper, as Foster speculates.
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

These 3 are the last 9pt characters to have only 1 indexed page:

#771 Calimmacil grandfather of Eärnil II
He was son of Arciryas, younger brother of King Narmacil II of Gondor. Through this line, Eärnil son of Siriondil son of Calimmacil was awarded the crown after his military victories following the deaths of King Ondoher & sons. He gets 1pt from LotR; and 1, 3 & 4pts from Wiki, Foster & Tyler respectively.

#770 Mat Heathertoes
A man of Bree killed in the fight between Bill Ferny’s gang & Bree-landers. He gets 1pt from LotR; and 3, 3 & 2pts from Foster, Tyler & the Encyclopedia of Arda respectively.

#769 Gálmód father of Gríma Wormtongue
Mentioned only once, by Gandalf, his name means ‘lewd, wanton, or sour-natured’ from Old English. He gets 1pt from LotR; and 2, 3, 1 & 2pts from Foster, Tyler, Wiki & EoArda respectively.

These 7 are the 9-pointers with 2 indexed pages:

#768 Gundabald Bolger husband of Salvia Brandybuck
He appears on both the Bolger & Brandybuck family-trees. He gets 1pt from LotR; and 2, 1 & 5pts from Foster, Wiki & EoArda respectively.

#767 Lily Brown>Cotton mother of Rosie
Also known as Mrs. Cotton, and as such she is indexed from the text, along with her spot on the Longfather-Tree. She gets 1pt from LotR; and 3, 2, 1 & 2pts from Foster, Tyler, Wiki & EoArda respectively.

#766 *Estelmo esquire of Elendur son of Isildur
He was one of the last to fall at the Gladden Fields, being stunned by a club and found alive under Elendur’s body by the Woodmen routing the Orcs. As CT notes, Estelmo was implied to be the 3rd man to come “back over the mountains”, along with Ohtar & companion sent away with Narsil by Isildur. He gets 4pts from UT & 5pts from Wiki (at least when I collected info several years ago – Wiki seems to be having current issues with their Estelmo & Gladden Fields entries – but the info from the time of collection stands, for all characters).

#765 *Galadhon father of Celeborn
Galadhon is the son of Elmo, younger brother of Elwë & Olwë, but “beloved of Elwë with whom he remained” in Doriath. Since Celeborn & Galadriel barely “escaped the sack of Doriath” we might assume that both Celeborn’s father & grandfather suffered the same fate as his great-uncle Thingol. He after whom Caras Galadhon may have been named, gets 2, 3 & 4pts from UT, Wiki & EoArda respectively.

With the next 2, the official ruling lines begin to appear - first the least of the Ruling Stewards of Gondor:

#764 Eradan 2nd Ruling Steward of Gondor
He’s the son of Mardil Voronwë the 1st Steward to rule Gondor. Eradan ruled for 36 years and was succeeded by his son (below). Both of their reigns were the first entirely within the Watchful Peace.

#763 Herion 3rd Ruling Steward of Gondor
See above. Herion ruled for 32 years and was succeeded by his son Belegorn (see next post). Both father & son get 1pt each from LotR, Tyler & Wiki, and 2pts each from HoMe12, Foster & EoArda.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Very, very impressive, Sir! :bow:
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I feel like Second age Sauron, and drowning deep along with Numénor.
Big salute!
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

These 9 characters are the last 9-pointers and their indexed pages increase steadily from 3 to 15:

#762 Belegorn 4th Ruling Steward of Gondor
He has 1 more indexed page than his father & grandfather (see above) due to a name-change note, but he also lived longer (130yrs) and ruled longer (56yrs) than any of the first 6 Ruling Stewards. His points are apportioned identically to his 2 predecessors.

#761 *Gimli gnome-thrall of Tevildo
Not that Gimli (or that Gloin below). From the Lost Tales, this Gimli is an aged Noldo and fellow prisoner with Beren in the kitchens of Tevildo/Sauron; and his hearing “was the keenest that has been in the world”. He gets 2pts from HoMe2 index, 4pts from the HoMe2 name-list & 3pts from Wiki.

#760 Gloin King of Dúrin’s Folk son of Thorin I
He would have been a young 74 when his father led a large part of Dúrin’s Folk from Erebor to the Grey Mts - slightly younger than Kili on the Quest of Erebor. In an earlier draft of the appendix ‘Dúrin’s Folk’, it was actually Gloin who led the expedition. He gets 2pts each from Foster, Tyler & HoMe12, and 1pt each from LotR, Wiki & EoArda.

#759*Ivárë Minstrel of the Elves
In the ‘Tale of Tinúviel’ this minstrel “who plays beside the sea” is said to be the 2nd of “the three most magic players of the Elves”: the others being Tinfang Warble and Daeron. Drafts of the ‘Lay of Leithian’ eventually see Maglor supplant Ivárë in this list of 3. [NOTE: but not necessarily replace Ivárë - an example of a character on the fence for inclusion, as I could have had Maglor absorb his pts (a-la Trotter>Aragorn), but they appear independently in LT, if only in mention, and never share anything in common; plus Tinfang also disappears from the final version, thus the whole thing easily explained by an Eressëan vs Beleriandic bias of tale-tellers, if you will].

#758 *Fankil servant of Morgoth
Fankil (Fúkil/Fangli) appears early in LT as a child/servant of Melkor. He ‘escaped into the world’ at the time of his chaining, and helps corrupt wild Men into battling Elves & faithful Men. Rateliff in his History of The Hobbit discusses his place in the legendarium in his section ‘The Necromancer’. 6 of his pts come from HoMe1, the other 3 from Rateliff.

#757 *Sleeper in the Tower of Pearl
This mysterious entity was one of the first to spring out of Tolkien’s imagination and into the legendarium. What little can be gleaned comes from a sentence in ‘The Cottage of Lost Play’, along with note (xii) of Notebook C from the unwritten ‘Tale of Eärendel’, and a 1915 poem. In short, on Eärendil’s voyage to Valinor, when Vingilot is mired in the Shadowy Seas, Ilverin Littleheart son of Voronwë rang his gong and “awoke the Sleeper in the Tower of Pearl that stands far out to west in the Twilit Isles”. This Sleeper, thought at first to be Idril, is in fact “a messenger that was despatched years ago by Turgon and enmeshed in magics […so] he cannot leave the Tower and warns them”. The poem ‘The Happy Mariners’ was “in fact ‘the song of the Sleeper in the Tower of Pearl’” according to CT. He gets 8pts from HoMe’s 1, 2 & 4, and 1pt from Garth’s Tolkien and the Great War.

#756 *Audoin King of the Lombards
His son Alboin will appear as the highest ranking 10pt character. They represent an episode of the father-son narratives of the ‘Lost Road’. As CT notes, their names “show an exact correspondence, are historically the same name” as Eädwine & Ælfwine. Their real tale comes from the Historia Langobardorum by Paul the Deacon, behind which, CT notes, “there lies a heroic lay, as early a vestige of such ancient Germanic poetry as we possess”. In short, Audoin declined, by custom, to “give his son the rank of a companion of his table” despite recent valour in battle, until Alboin was gifted weapons from the King whose son he slew. The outcome of this strange quest will be revealed in Alboin’s entry shortly before #700. They are also mentioned in some Notion Club meetings, as well as by Rateliff in History of The Hobbit, referencing the Lombard/Longbeard relationship & the ‘Lost Road’. Audoin the Lombard gets 4pts each from HoMe’s 5 & 9, and 1pt from Rateliff.

#755 *Hallatan Lord of Hyarastorni
He is “the great lord away south: the Sheep-lord… a kinsman of the King”, as first described in ‘Aldarion & Erendis’. His house, at least once when Aldarion visited, displayed “the sound of music… shepherds making merry… with many marvellous tales”. Hallatan is the youngest child x 4 after Vardamir Nólimon, and his youngest child (#807 above) wedded Ancalimë. Thus Hallatan was grandfather to Tar-Anárion. Like son Hallacar, he gets 7pts from UT, including his appearance on the ‘Line of Elros’, but 2pts from Wiki, and has 13pgs indexed.

#754 *Almarian Queen of Númenor
Almarian is the daughter of Vëantur, Captain of the King’s Ships, and the wife of Tar-Meneldur & mother of Tar-Aldarion. She was “a woman of great beauty” and “supported her son in all that he did”, but “loved ships and the sea no more than most women of the land”. It is described how “by contrivance of the Queen”, Erendis & Aldarion were brought together; and how Almarian tried to discourage her son from so many voyages abroad. She also “took a great liking to” Ancalimë; but her granddaughter would one day say “must I become like Queen Almarian, and dote upon” a husband? She gets 5pts from UT, including the ‘Line of Elros’, & 4pts from Wiki, and has 15pgs indexed.
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

These 11 are the first 10pt characters, and have only 1 indexed page:

#753 Menegilda Goold>Brandybuck wife of Rorimac
She’s the wife of Old Rory ‘Goldfather’, mother of Saradoc ‘Scattergold’, and grandmother of Meriadoc. As the Encyclopedia of Arda notes, Menegilda is the only Goold on record, the name probably derived from ‘golden-haired’. She gets 3pts from Foster, 5pts from EoArda, and 1 each from LotR & Wiki.

#752 Hamfast of Gamwich
He’s the progenitor of the Gamgee line, being Sam’s great-great-great grandfather. He gave his name to the Gaffer, & also Sam’s 4th son. His pts are apportioned identically to Menegilda.

#751 Holman ‘Long Hom’ Cotton of Bywater
The father of Tolman ‘Farmer Tom’ Cotton probably farmed the same land down South Lane. Holman son of Cotman son of Cottar was the first of the line to adopt the Cotton last name. He gets 3pts each from Foster & EoArda, 2pts from Tyler, and 1pt each from LotR & Wiki.

#750 Hamson Gamgee eldest sibling of Samwise
The eldest son of the Gaffer didn’t follow his father into gardening, but took up with his uncle Andy in Tighfield and became a Roper. He gets 3pts from Foster, 4pts from Tyler, and 1pt each from LotR, Wiki & EoArda.

#749 Camellia Sackville>Baggins mother of Otho
Otho took on the hyphenated name of both parents since Camellia had inherited the matriarchy of the Sackville family. Its fully explained in Letter 214, although she's strangely not indexed in Letters. She gets 3pts each from Foster & Tyler, 2pts from EoArda, and 1pt each from LotR & Wiki.

#748 *Tar-Anducal usurper King of Númenor
Tar-Vanimeldë was the 3rd Ruling Queen of Númenor. Her consort Herucalmo, a descendant of Tar-Atanamir, was 9 years her junior. The Queen “gave little heed to ruling, loving rather music and dance”, so Herucalmo served as her regent, wielding power. When she died, he usurped the throne under the name Tar-Anducal "Light of the West" for 20yrs. Their son Tar-Alcarin finally gained his rightful throne upon his father’s death. Tar-Anducal is not recognized in the official Line of Kings. He gets 6pts from UT & 4pts from Wiki.

#747 Bumpkin pony of Merry
One of 5 ponies, provided by Merry, used by the hobbits to ride from Buckland to Bree. They were named by Bombadil after the encounter with the barrow-wight, & answered only to those names thereafter. They were driven off in Bree by the Black Riders, & find their way to Bombadil, but are sent back to Butterbur to be looked after. Bumpkin gets 1, 5 & 4pts from LotR, Foster & Wiki respectively.

#746 Strider pony of Frodo
Frodo’s pony from Minas Tirith back to the Shire after the War of the Ring, and to the Grey Havens in the Last Riding of the Keepers of the Rings. Doubtful he followed his master over Sea. This Strider gets 1, 2, 3 & 4pts from LotR, Wiki, EoArda & Foster respectively.

#745 Lightfoot sire of Snowmane
“Faithful servant yet master’s bane / Lightfoot’s foal, swift Snowmane” reads the epitath of his offspring, and is his only reference. He is likely a Meara, along with Snowmane. Lightfoot gets 1pt each from LotR, Tyler & Wiki, 2pts from Foster & 5pts from EoArda.

#744 *Malantur great-grandson of Tar-Amandil
He would have been King, following Tar-Aldarion, under the old laws prior to Númenor's Law of Succession changes, as he was the most senior direct descendant of Elros Tar-Minyatur of a male-line. He is indexed incorrectly in UT, which describes him as a descendant of Tar-Elendil. In fact he was descended from Tar-Elendil’s younger brother Eärendur. Malantur gets 3pts from UT, including the ‘Line of Elros’, & 7pts from Wiki, which elaborates on the issues of succession.

#743 *Balcmeg
He was one of the named Orcs killed in the ‘Fall of Gondolin’. Balcmeg was in fact “hewed asunder” by Tuor. Its the name-list which provides most info about this Orc: “Balcmeg ‘was a great fighter among the Orclim… who fell to the axe of Tuor’ – ‘tis in meaning ‘heart of evil’… GL has balc ‘cruel’”. He gets 8pts from HoMe2, including 6 from the name-list, & 2pts from Wiki.
Last edited by Dân o Nandor on Anduin on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

These 13 characters have 10pts, and 2 indexed pages:

#742 Peony Baggins>Burrows wife of Milo @
The youngest child of Posco Baggins, and distant cousin of Bilbo. She had 4 children with Milo. Peony gets 4pts each from Foster & EoArda, and 1pt each from LotR & Wiki.

#741 Rosamunda Took>Bolger mother of Fatty @
Daughter of Sigismund Took, she married Odovacar Bolger and they had 2 children, Fredegar & Estella. Rosamunda’s points are apportioned identical to Peony (above).

#740 Tim uncle of Tom
Tom’s ‘nuncle’ in Sam’s poem ‘The Stone Troll’, long dead but his shinbone, which Tom recognized, was being gnawed on by a Troll. Attempts to avenge his uncle by kicking the Troll proved fruitless. The Encyclopedia of Arda weighs the possibilities that these 2 hobbits were either borne from Sam’s imagination, came from Hobbit folk-legend, or were based on real events. Tim gets 3pts from Foster, 6pts from EoArda, & 1pt from LotR.

#739 *Galathil son of Galadhon
Galathil was grandson of Thingol’s brother Elmo & the brother of Celeborn. His daughter was Nimloth, who married Dior Thingol's Heir. Thus Galathil is included amongst the direct ancestors of both Arwen & Aragorn. One may assume that he, along with his father & grandfather, perished in the Ruin of Doriath. He gets 4pts from UT & 6pts from Wiki.

#738 Asphodel Brandybuck>Burrows daughter of Gorbadoc @
Her younger sister was Primula, thus she was Frodo’s aunt, but died before the War of the Ring. According to a draft family-tree, ‘Bellissima’ was the original name of the direct older sister of Primula. Asphodel gets 3pts each from Foster & EoArda, 2pts from HoMe6, and 1pt each from LotR & Wiki.

#737 Saradas Brandybuck 2nd son of Gorbadoc @
He was an uncle of Frodo, but died a decade before the War of the Ring. ‘Alaric’ seems to be the original name in his place on the draft-tree. His points are apportioned identically to his younger sister (above).

#736 Eglantine Banks>Took mother of Pippin @
She’s the 2nd mother of the Fellowship to appear. Eglantine married Paladin Took before he was in line to be the 31st Thain of the Shire. Her children were Pearl (see bottom of post), Pimpernel & Pervinca (back in the #900’s), and of course Pippin (much ahead). She gets 3pts from Foster, 2pts from HoMe6, and 1pt each from LotR, Tyler, Drout, Wiki & EoArda.

The lines of the Kings of the Men now begin, starting with the least of the Kings of Arnor:

#735 Eldacar 4th King of Arnor
He was Isildur’s grandson, and son of Valandil. Eldacar lived to be 252 & reigned 90yrs. He’s not to be confused with the more illustrious Eldacar of Gondor. Arnor’s Eldacar gets 2pts each from Foster, HoMe12, Wiki & EoArda, and 1pt each from LotR & Tyler.

#734 Arantar 5th King of Arnor
The son of Eldacar lived to be 250yrs & reigned 96yrs. His points are apportioned identically to his father above.

#733 Elendur 9th King of Arnor
Elendur, not to be confused with the son of Isildur, succeeded his father Valandur who was violently slain. He lived 225yrs & reigned 125yrs. His son Eärendur would be the last King of a united Arnor. His points are apportioned identically to the 2 Kings above.

#732 Arciryas brother of King Narmacil II
The younger brother of Narmacil II, and great-grandfather of Eärnil II. He gets 4pts from Tyler, 2pts each from Foster & HoMe12, and 1pt each from LotR & Wiki.

#731 Gléowine Minstrel of Rohan
He was Théoden’s minstrel, and composed a song about his glorious death on the Pelennor Fields. It is said he made no song ever after. ‘Joy-lover’ is how Tyler translates his name. Gléowine gets 3pts from Foster, 2pts each from Tyler & HoMe9, and 1pt each from LotR, Drout, & Wiki.

#730 Pearl Took eldest sister of Pippin @
Pearl was the eldest of Pippin’s 3 older sisters. According to Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien it is ‘widely rumoured’ that she was the caretaker, or rather ‘clumsy attendant’, of the Took matriarch Lalia the Fat, when her wheelchair tipped from the threshold of the Great Door of the Smials and she tumbled into the gardens to her death. Pearl was excluded from a later family celebraton for Lalia’s son Thain Ferumbras; but after a time, likely when her father was Thain Paladin II, it was noticed that she bore ‘a splendid necklace of her name-jewels that had long lain in the hoard of the Thains’. Pippin’s naughty sister gets 3pts from Foster, 4pts from Wiki, and 1pt each from LotR, Letters, & EoArda.

Next up, as the 1st 10-pointer with 3 indexed pages, none other than Miss Clayhanger herself…