The Middle-earth 1200

An exhaustive compilation of the characters of Tolkien's legendarium, in order of importance, by Dân o Nandor on Anduin
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Am I correct in assuming that those posted already are unchanged? A new Number 1, eh? That's a BFD*.

* Copyright, Joe Biden.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

Post by Dân o Nandor on Anduin »

Yes, for expediency the existing 600 will remain stagnant, while only the top half will be bolstered by Tolkien Gateway. A more appropriate cut-off there could not be, and I doubt any of the former half would make it into the top 300 or 200, certainly not the top 100, even if retro-graded. Though, I did check, and the Party Trees would share 17 extra points if so. I think I'll leave well enough alone!
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

I see the original thread that inspired this list has been resuscitated. Fantastic! I factored in the votes there early on, and they account for a column of my spreadsheet. Hm, do I allow continued voting there to influence this list? Hmmm...

Well we are passing through the Tolkien Gateway to enter the top half of this list. The 36th (& surely last) resource used, is now rightly the most influential, as TG has a near-complete entry for just about all that appear on this list. I’ve taken a bit of time just to appraise (& admire) the restructuring, and will consider some reformatting in presentation. As such, the 3rd quarter of this list will be a bit of a transition, as some of the previous 600 would’ve made it into the top-500, possibly a few into the top-400; but I’m quite confident the top 300 are now the appropriately-arranged undisputed cream-of-the-crop of the legendarium! So I hope to get us there, to that premium top quarter, as soon as possible.

Entries 600 & 599 below have no TG entry, so appear here as sort-of relics, being the last two 14-pointers, where the next 5 have 20-points. And only 3 more characters beyond these have no TG entry either (2 being of the Notion Club), the last of which will now appear prior to #400. I’ll present the following 2 much as I have the previous half of the list, but do look for some subtle changes starting next post. Below them, I give a glossary & note which will accompany the bottom of all posts from hereon in, as I try to expedite, minimize, & rationalize my presentation, approaching more well-known characters, possibly adding my race/occupation classifications.

So away we go…

#600 *King Sheave
Or Sheaf, Sceafa, Scyld Scefing, or otherwise “a most astonishing tangle” as Tolkien himself describes this semi-historical inspirational character that was intended to link the Lost Road cycle (“Sheaf ruled the Lombards” pre-6th-century, as depicted in Tolkien’s poem ‘King Sheave’), with the cycle of Ælfwine of England (who sang the poem in a beer-hall in the 9th century), and also with the Notion Club narratives (Arry Lowdham told the tale over tankards on their 69th meeting, the night of Sept.25, 1987). The story goes that a ship is beached, and the Lombards there find a young boy asleep with a "sheaf of corn" as his pillow and a harp beside him. When the boy awoke, he sang a song which drove terror away from all hearts that heard. They crowned him with a garland of golden wheat, making him their King; and he later has 7 sons that according to legend father the various Germanic peoples. Sheave gets 4pts from HoMe5, 2pts from HoMe9, 6pts from Wiki, and 1pt each from Drout & Garth, having 28 indexed pages.

#599 *Philip Frankley
A member of the Notion Club, who was to represent C.S. Lewis, at least at one time. His biography reads “Queen’s. Born 1932. A poet, once well-known as a leader of the Queer Metre movement; but now just a poet, still publishing volumes of collected verse; suffers from horror borealis (as he calls it) and is intolerant of all things Northern or Germanic. [He is, all the same, a close friend of Lowdham]”. ‘Franks’ gets all his 14pts from HoMe9, having 76 indexed pages.

As I said, the next characters jump up to 20-points, and we begin with a King’s Writer, a Princess of Rohan, an Uruk-hai, and the Shire-founding brothers…

glossary:
*=as in CT's indexing in UT (ie. characters not appearing in Hobbit/LotR/AdvTB/Sil)
@=guest at Bilbo’s Farewell Party
(f)=female

POINTS: for ENTRIES - TG=Tolkien Gateway,=Encyclopedia of Arda,WK=Wikipedia,RF=Robert Foster’s Complete Guide to Middle-earth,JT=J.E.A. Tyler’s Tolkien Companion,DD=David Day’s A-Z of Tolkien; for INDICES - LR=Lord of the Rings,SL=Silmarillion,UT=Unfinished Tales,HX=History of Middle-earth Vol.X,LT=Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien,HC=Humphrey Carpenter’s J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography,JG=John Garth’s Tolkien and the Great War,JR=John Rateliff’s History of The Hobbit,DK=Douglas Kane’s Arda Reconstructed; for both ENTRIES & INDICES – MD=Michael Drout’s Tolkien Encyclopedia; for NAME-LISTS – CH=Children of Húrin,B1 or B2=the ‘Qenya & Gnomish Lexicons’ from Book of Lost Tales Vols.1&2,FG=the ‘Fall of Gondolin’ from BoLT Vol.2,LE=the ‘Line of Elros’ tree from UT; MISC – HF=votes from the Hall of Fire thread that initiated this project.

[DISCLAIMER NOTE: The majority on this list are not ‘characters’ at all, many are simply names on family-trees or king-lists, or factor into draft-sketches only; and some are merely legendary, such as names in songs, or subjects of whimsical poems, or rumoured Shire-Ents & Entwives. A name & listing in an index or guide is all it takes for inclusion. Utilizing the entire legendarium, I also include all entities associated with Tolkien’s potential framework-cycles; the Notion Club, the Lost Road(s), a 9th-century English mariner, a 5th-century Danish mariner, etc. The mention of express-trains & engine-whistles in both his major works shows that a modern English/European link to the transmission of his tales definitely exists within his Secondary World. The fact that CT left this blank in his published Silmarillion doesn’t lessen the fact that an ‘Ælfwine’ persona was still being written as a teller of Tolkien’s tales well after LotR was published. I also keep a uniqueness of character as a rule, thus maintaining only one entry, and accumulated points thereof, for all of Tolkien’s renaming & reconfiguring occurring throughout drafts. Finally, the distinguishing factor that I kept in mind for inclusion in this list, is the hint of sentience – thus the Talking Purse, the Watchers of Cirith Ungol, Gurthang as well as Anguirel, the thinking Fox, Attercop, and others, DO make this list, including ALL trees that are named & indexed. (I could link to multiple websites that posit the hormonal sentience of trees here in our world, but since Tolkien’s feeling on the matter should be obvious to most, and this concerns his Secondary World which includes a sliding-scale of sentient ents, huorns, willows & rowans, I won’t go there). So who/what WON’T appear? Anduril, Sting, the Argonath, Trotter, the tree that Sam bumped his head against on page X, the unnamed/unindexed Stone Giants, & Nienor’s unborn child].
Voronwë the Faithful

I would be interested in seeing, some day, a comparison of the two lists, pre- and post-TG. I'm impressed with your willingness to revamp with such a significant new source.[/u]
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

#598 Findegil, King’s Writer
He exists only in the LotR Prologue, with the latest recorded date (S.R.1592), in which he finished his copy of the Red Book that “alone contains the whole of Bilbo’s ‘Translations from the Elvish’”. [TG:5,Eä:3,WK:2,RF:3,JT:6,LR:1=20pts,2pgs]

#597 Hild, sister of Helm Hammerhand (f)
She exists only in LotR Appendix A, as the sister of Helm Hammerhand & mother of Freáláf Hildeson. [TG:6,Eä:6,WK:1,RF:2,JT:2,LR:1,H12:2=20pts,2pgs]

#596 Lugdush
He was one of Uglúk’s Uruk-hai that perished at the hands of the Rohirrim near Fangorn Forest. [TG:4,Eä:3,WK:1,RF:3,JT:6,LR:1,H7:2=20pts,3pgs]

#595 & #594 Marcho & Blanco
From the LotR Prologue, as well Appendix C, these Fallohide brothers of course began the Shire-reckoning when they crossed the Brandywine with the King’s permission. [each - TG:6,Eä:2,WK:2,RF:2,JT:2,MD:1,LR:1,H12:4=20pts,10pgs]

#593 Dervorin of Ringló Vale
He’s the son of the Lord of Ringló Vale, and led his father’s troops on the Pelennor Fields. [TG:5,Eä:3,RF:4,JT:6,LR:1,H8:2=21pts,2pgs]

#592 Grimbeorn the Old
The son of Beorn, lord of the Beornings, who kept the High Pass and Carrock open and free of orcs & wolves during the late Third Age. Foster, and others, speculate that, like his father, Grimbeorn too was a skin-changer, or werebear. [TG:6,Eä:2,WK:1,RF:6,JT:3,LR:1,H7:2=21pts,3pgs]

#591 Largo Baggins, 3rd son of Balbo
He was Bilbo’s grand-uncle, the 3rd son of Balbo Baggins, and Frodo’s great-grandfather. [TG:6,Eä:2,WK:1,RF:3,JT:2,LR:1,H6:6=21pts,4pgs]

glossary:
*=as in CT's indexing in UT (ie. characters not appearing in Hobbit/LotR/AdvTB/Sil)
(f)=female

POINTS: for ENTRIES - TG=Tolkien Gateway,=Encyclopedia of Arda,WK=Wikipedia,RF=Robert Foster’s Complete Guide to Middle-earth,JT=J.E.A. Tyler’s Tolkien Companion,DD=David Day’s A-Z of Tolkien; for INDICES - LR=Lord of the Rings,SL=Silmarillion,UT=Unfinished Tales,HX=History of Middle-earth Vol.X,LT=Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien,HC=Humphrey Carpenter’s J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography,JG=John Garth’s Tolkien and the Great War,JR=John Rateliff’s History of The Hobbit,DK=Douglas Kane’s Arda Reconstructed; for both ENTRIES & INDICES – MD=Michael Drout’s Tolkien Encyclopedia; for NAME-LISTS – CH=Children of Húrin,B1 or B2=the ‘Qenya & Gnomish Lexicons’ from Book of Lost Tales[/b] Vols.1&2,FG=the ‘Fall of Gondolin’ from BoLT Vol.2,LE=the ‘Line of Elros’ tree from UT; MISC – HF=votes from the Hall of Fire thread that initiated this project.
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

#590 Balbo Baggins, great-grandfather of Bilbo
The patriarch of the Bagginses; Bilbo was the 1st son & child of the 1st son & child of his 1st son & child. Balbo was called Inigo in earlier drafts. [TG:6,Eä:1,WK:2,RF:3,JT:2,LR:1,H6:6=21pts,6pgs]

#589 *Eltas of Tol Eressëa
He’s a boy who told the ‘Tale of Turambar’ to Eriol. CT says “it would be interesting to know more of the teller… a puzzling figure: he seems to be a Man of [Dor-lómin] after the days of Turambar but before the fall of Gondolin, and he ‘trod Olórë Mallë’, the Path of Dreams”; speculating he’s “one of ‘the children of the fathers of the fathers of Men’, who ‘found [Tirion] and remained with the Eldar for ever’”. [TG:7,WK:8,H1:2,H2:4=21pts,12pgs]

#588 & #587 *Makar & *Meássë (f)
Both Marjorie Burns in Drout’s Encyclopedia, and John Garth in his book, discuss the interesting role these Valar warrior siblings played in Tolkien’s early organic & unpurged mythology. No doubt influenced by the Norse pantheon, they revelled in battle & wine and straddled Melkor’s sway. They didn’t make it into later versions, but then again the handful of greater Balrogs that did, were said to have been Ainur drawn to Morgoth’s splendour and corrupted into his service; and their Lord, Gothmog, was no less than his son at one time. So…? [TG:6,MD:1,JG:1,H1:13=21pts,16pgs each]

#586 Glirhuin, minstrel of Brethil
He prophesied in a song that the Stone of the Hapless, standing above Túrin and Morwen’s grave, would survive even a drowning of Beleriand. And so Tol Morwen did. [TG:7,Eä:2,WK:1,RF:3,JT:6,SL:1,H11:2=22pts,2pgs]

#585 Elfhild, wife of Théoden (f)
Unfortunate in the history of Rohan, she died giving birth to Théodred, and Rohan went 40 years without a queen. [TG:5,Eä:2,WK:5,RF:3,JT:3,MD:1,LR:1,H11:2=22pts,3pgs]

#584 White Tree (Mindolluin sapling) of Minas Tirith
The 4th White Tree of Gondor is the first to appear on the list, primarily because its best days and eventual fate remain unknown. [TG:5,WK:4,RF:2,JT:5,DD:1,LR:1,SL:1,LT:1,H9:2=22pts,9pgs]

#583 White Tree of Minas Anor
The 2nd of the White Trees of Gondor follows right behind the above sapling. It was a seedling of the White Tree of Minas Ithil which Sauron burned, and Isildur planted this one in memory of his brother Anárion. It survived until the Great Plague, after which it provided the seedling for the 3rd (eventually Withered) Tree of Minas Tirith. [TG:7,WK:2,RF:4,JT:4,DD:1,LR:1,SL:1,H12:2=22pts,13pts]

#582 Derufin son of Lord Duinhir
He and his brother Duilin, archers of Morthond, were slain on the Pelennor Fields attacking the Oliphaunts of the Haradrim. [TG:8,Eä:4,RF:4,JT:4,LR:1,H8:2=23pts,4pgs]

#581 Odovacar Bolger, father of Fredegar @
The son of a Boffin, the husband of a Took, and the father-in-law of Merry Brandybuck, he appears in only 2 of a possible 4 hobbit family-trees, with his firstborn of course being a close friend of Frodo Baggins. [TG:9,Eä:5,WK:1,RF:3,LR:1,H6:2,H7:2=23pts,4pgs]

glossary:
(f)=female

POINTS: for ENTRIES - TG=Tolkien Gateway,=Encyclopedia of Arda,WK=Wikipedia,RF=Robert Foster’s Complete Guide to Middle-earth,JT=J.E.A. Tyler’s Tolkien Companion,DD=David Day’s A-Z of Tolkien; for INDICES - LR=Lord of the Rings,SL=Silmarillion,UT=Unfinished Tales,HX=History of Middle-earth Vol.X,LT=Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien,HC=Humphrey Carpenter’s J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography,JG=John Garth’s Tolkien and the Great War,JR=John Rateliff’s History of The Hobbit,DK=Douglas Kane’s Arda Reconstructed; for both ENTRIES & INDICES – MD=Michael Drout’s Tolkien Encyclopedia; for NAME-LISTS – CH=Children of Húrin,B1 or B2=the ‘Qenya & Gnomish Lexicons’ from Book of Lost Tales[/b] Vols.1&2,FG=the ‘Fall of Gondolin’ from BoLT Vol.2,LE=the ‘Line of Elros’ tree from UT; MISC – HF=votes from the Hall of Fire thread that initiated this project.
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

#580 Dírhael, grandfather of Aragorn
Existing only in the ‘Tale of Aragorn & Arwen’, this descendant of Aranarth the 1st Chieftan is most renowned for listening to his wife. [TG:8,Eä:3,WK:1,RF:3,JT:3,LR:1,H12:4=23pts,5pgs]

#579 Everard Took, son of Adelard @
He who danced the Springle-ring with Melilot Brandybuck when they thought Bilbo’s Speech was over, was named Prospero until the 6th draft of ‘A Long-expected Party’. [TG:7,Eä:1,WK:1,RF:3,LR:1,H6:10=23pts,9pgs]

#578 Ulfast, son of Ulfang the Black
His father and 2 brothers will appear scattered further ahead. [TG:9,Eä:1,WK:1,RF:3,JT:1,SL:2,H4:2,H5:2,H11:2=23pts,18pgs]

#577 Rudigar Bolger, son of Adalgar
He married Bilbo’s Aunt Belba, and became the head of the Bolger family and Fatty’s great-grandfather. [TG:9,Eä:4,WK:1,RF:3,LR:1,H6:6=24pts,5pgs]

#576 *Wilfred Trewin Jeremy
The penultimate member of the Notion Club to appear, ‘Jerry’ was an English Literature University Lecturer, born in 1942, who “specializes in Escapism, and has written books on the history and criticism of Ghost Stories, Time-travel, and Imaginary Lands”. [H9:24=24pts,79pgs]

#575 Minastan, son of King Minardil
His son Tarondor established a new line of Kings of Gondor after Minastan’s brother Telumnar & all his children died during the Great Plague, along with Minastan himself most likely. [TG:10,Eä:3;WK:1,RF:4,JT:4,LR:1,H12:2=25pts,2pgs]

#574 Roheryn, horse of Aragorn
‘The Steed of the Lady’, a gift from Arwen brought to Aragorn in Rohan by the Rangers, and rode by him during the War. [TG:8,Eä:2,WK:2,RF:6,JT:4,LR:1,H8:2=25pts,4pgs]

#573 Haleth, son of Helm Hammerhand
He was Helm’s eldest son, who died defending Meduseld against the Dunlendings. Haleth’s father & brother Háma escaped to Helm’s Deep and Wulf usurped the throne. [TG:9,Eä:6,WK:1,RF:3,JT:3,LR:1,H12:2=25pts,4pgs]

#572 Duinhir, Lord of Morthond
He led 500 bowmen of the Blackroot Vale into Minas Tirith prior to the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, during which Duinhir lost both his sons, overrun by mûmakil. [TG:9,Eä:7,RF:4,JT:2,LR:1,H8:2=25pts,5pgs]

#571 Haldan, 2nd Lord of the Haladin
The son of Haldar son of Haldad, was nephew of Haleth, 1st Chief of the Haladin, who settled her People in Brethil in return for guarding the Crossings, but she left no heir. [TG:9,Eä:2,WK:1,RF:3,JT:1,SL:2,H11:6,DK:1=25pts,6pgs]

glossary:
(f)=female

POINTS: for ENTRIES - TG=Tolkien Gateway,=Encyclopedia of Arda,WK=Wikipedia,RF=Robert Foster’s Complete Guide to Middle-earth,JT=J.E.A. Tyler’s Tolkien Companion,DD=David Day’s A-Z of Tolkien; for INDICES - LR=Lord of the Rings,SL=Silmarillion,UT=Unfinished Tales,HX=History of Middle-earth Vol.X,LT=Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien,HC=Humphrey Carpenter’s J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography,JG=John Garth’s Tolkien and the Great War,JR=John Rateliff’s History of The Hobbit,DK=Douglas Kane’s Arda Reconstructed; for both ENTRIES & INDICES – MD=Michael Drout’s Tolkien Encyclopedia; for NAME-LISTS – CH=Children of Húrin,B1 or B2=the ‘Qenya & Gnomish Lexicons’ from Book of Lost Tales Vols.1&2,FG=the ‘Fall of Gondolin’ from BoLT Vol.2,LE=the ‘Line of Elros’ tree from UT; MISC – HF=votes from the Hall of Fire thread that initiated this project + a composite of selected favourite character lists.
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

#570 Halfast, son of Halfred of Overhill
He’s Sam’s cousin, who worked for a Mr. Boffin in Overhill, and apparently saw an Ent while hunting in the Northfarthing. In the drafts, it was a hobbit named Jo Button who saw the ‘Tree-man’. But the name & incident morphed specifically enough, that there is no Jo Button on this list, and his points were attributed to Halfast. [TG:9,Eä:2,WK:1,RF:4,JT:2,LR:1,H6:6=25pts,7pgs]

#569 Rúmil of Lothlórien
He was a Silvan Elf, the brother of Haldir & Orophin, the 3 wardens of the Golden Wood who met the Fellowship. [TG:8,Eä:2,WK:2,RF:2,LR:1,H7:10=25pts,10pgs]

#568 Cotman, son of Cottar
Born in 1260 S.R., he is the son of the progenitor of the Cotton family of Bywater. [TG:10,Eä:3,WK:1,RF:6,JT:5,LR:1=26pts,1pg]

#567, #566, & #565 Wise-nose, Swish-tail, & White-socks
Named by Bombadil, these were 3 of the ponies provided by Merry to Frodo, driven off in Bree and recovered by Butterbur. Of the others, Bumpkin has already appeared, and Sharp-ears will appear shortly, as he alone had a different name, that of ‘Four-foot’, in the drafts. [TG:11,Eä:6,WK:3,RF:5,LR:1=26pts,1pg - each]

#564 Adalgrim Took, father of Paladin II
He was the son of Rosa Baggins and Hildigrim, 4th son of the Old Took; and was grandfather of both Pippin & Merry. In the draft family-tree, he can be equated with a Faramond, also the son of Rosa, grandson of Gerontius, and grandfather of both Merry & Pippin’s precursor; so Faramond’s points were forwarded to Adalgrim. [TG:11,Eä:5;WK:3,RF:2,LR:1,H6:4=26pts,2pgs]

#563 Faramir I Took, 33rd Thain of the Shire
He was Adalgrim’s great-grandson, and of course the son and heir of Peregrin I and husband of Sam’s daughter Goldilocks. [TG:11,Eä:2,WK:2,RF:4,JT:6,LR:1=26pts,3pgs]

#562 Frumgar, Lord of the Éothéod
He was the 4th known Lord of the Éothéod, descendant of Vidugavia and great-great-grandson of Marhari. He grew up with his people in the Vales of the Anduin, but when Angmar was destroyed, land was freed in the north, and Frumgar led the Éothéod to the northern sources of the Anduin. His great-grandson was Eorl. [TG:10,Eä:2,WK:1,RF:5,JT:3,LR:1,UT:4=26pts,3pgs]

#561 Frór, son of Dáin I
Frór & his father, the King of Dúrin’s Folk, were killed by a Cold-drake in the Grey Mts, so his older brother Thrór became King and returned to Erebor. [TG:12,Eä:1,WK:3,RF:3,JT:4,LR:1,H12:2=26pts,3pgs]

glossary:
(f)=female

POINTS: for ENTRIES - TG=Tolkien Gateway,=Encyclopedia of Arda,WK=Wikipedia,RF=Robert Foster’s Complete Guide to Middle-earth,JT=J.E.A. Tyler’s Tolkien Companion,DD=David Day’s A-Z of Tolkien; for INDICES - LR=Lord of the Rings,SL=Silmarillion,UT=Unfinished Tales,HX=History of Middle-earth Vol.X,LT=Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien,HC=Humphrey Carpenter’s Biography,JG=John Garth’s Tolkien and the Great War,JR=John Rateliff’s History of The Hobbit,DK=Douglas Kane’s Arda Reconstructed; for both ENTRIES & INDICES – MD=Michael Drout’s Tolkien Encyclopedia; for NAME-LISTS – CH=Children of Húrin,B1 or B2=the ‘Qenya & Gnomish Lexicons’ from Book of Lost Tales Vols.1&2,FG=the ‘Fall of Gondolin’ from BoLT Vol.2,LE=the ‘Line of Elros’ tree from UT; MISC – HF=votes from the Hall of Fire thread that initiated this project + a composite of selected favourite character lists.
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

#560 Goldwine, 6th King of Rohan
He lived during the rule of 3 ancestors: his great-grandfather Aldor the Old, his grandfather Fréa, & his father Fréawine, before Goldwine began his 19-year reign at age 61. The latter 3 enjoyed peaceful & prosperous tenures between Aldor’s driving-out of the Dunlendings, and Goldwine’s son Déor’s rule which saw their return. The Encyclopedia of Arda speculates that the name of this King, ‘Gold-friend’, may have been due to his having to buy the friendship of his nobles in order to maintain the peace as long as it lasted. [TG:10,Eä:7,WK:3,RF:2,JT:1,LR:1,H8:2=26pts,3pgs]

#559 Carl ‘Nibs’ Cotton, son of Tom
The youngest of Farmer Tom’s 5 children, Carl swam often in the Bywater Pool with the Gamgees. He was only 30, not of age, at the Scouring of the Shire, so his father had him guard his mother, sister & house with a pitch fork during the Battle of Bywater.[[TG:12,Eä:5,WK:1,RF:4,JT:2,LR:2=26pts,4pgs]

#558 Ornendil, son of King Eldacar
He was put to death by Castamir the Usurper during the Kin-strife when Osgiliath was besieged. Eldacar escaped and avenged Ornendil by killing Castamir 10 years later. [TG:9,Eä:2,WK:2,RF:3,JT:7,LR:1,H12:2=26pts,4pgs]

#557 Elemmírë, maker of the Aldudénië
A Vanya of Valinor, who probably witnessed the destruction by Melkor while the Elves were celebrating on Taniquetil, for which the Lament of the Two Trees, known afterwards by all the Eldar, was composed. Tolkien Gateway notes that there is no knowing the gender of Elemmírë, and it is only because a very slight margin of sources are in favour of this minstrel being male that I refrain from my inclinations towards it being a feminine name. [TG:9,Eä:4,RF:2,JT:5,SL:2,H10:4=26pts,5pgs]

#556 *Duilin, Lord of the House of the Swallow
He was one of the Lords of the Houses of Gondolin, a master archer & the swiftest of all to run and leap. He fell during the Fall upon the walls, slain by a Balrog’s fiery bolt. According to the Lexicons, his name literally means ‘Swallow’. [TG:5,WK:2,H2:4,B2:15=26pts,5pgs]

#555 Guthláf, banner-bearer of Théoden
He was slain in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields when he rode to the relief of Minas Tirith with his Lord. He fell with his banner in hand, which had to be taken from him after death to give to Éomer. He also earned a mention in the ‘Mounds of Mundburg’. [TG:12,Eä:2,RF:3,JT:2,LR:1,H8:6=26pts,6pgs]

#554 Dís, sister of Thorin (f)
Dís was born in Erebor, the daughter of King Thráin II, & sister of Thorin Oakenshield. She was driven into exile, along with them, when Smaug attacked. She was the mother of Fíli & Kíli, and the only female dwarf to be recorded. [TG:12,Eä:1,WK:1,RF:3,JT:5,MD:1,LR:1,H12:2=26pts,6pgs]

#553 & #552 Fastred & Folcred, twin sons of King Folcwine
They rode to the aid of Gondor, upholding the Oath of Eorl, but both were slain in battle with the Haradrim. They were buried at the crossings of Poros, where they fell, their burial mound called the Mound of the Twins. [TG:9,Eä:3,WK:4,RF:3,JT:4,LR:1,H12:2=26pts,7pgs - each]

#551 Mirabella Took>Brandybuck, wife of Gorbadoc (f)
The youngest of the Old Took’s 3 ‘remarkable daughters’, Mirabella married into the Brandybuck line, and had 7 children, the youngest of which was Frodo’s mother Primula. [TG:11,Eä:4,WK:1,RF:4,LR:2,H6:4=26pts,8pgs]

glossary:

(f)=female

POINTS - for ENTRIES: TG=Tolkien Gateway,=Encyclopedia of Arda,WK=Wikipedia,RF=Robert Foster’s Complete Guide to Middle-earth,JT=J.E.A. Tyler’s Tolkien Companion,DD=David Day’s A-Z of Tolkien; for INDICES: LR=Lord of the Rings,SL=Silmarillion,UT=Unfinished Tales,HX=History of Middle-earth Vol.X,LT=Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien,HC=Humphrey Carpenter’s Biography,JG=John Garth’s Tolkien and the Great War,JR=John Rateliff’s History of The Hobbit,DK=Douglas Kane’s Arda Reconstructed; for both ENTRIES & INDICES: MD=Michael Drout’s Tolkien Encyclopedia; for NAME-LISTS: CH=Children of Húrin,B1 or B2=the ‘Qenya & Gnomish Lexicons’ from Book of Lost Tales Vols.1&2,FG=the ‘Fall of Gondolin’ from BoLT Vol.2,LE=the ‘Line of Elros’ tree from UT; MISC: HF=votes from the Hall of Fire thread that initiated this project + a composite of selected favourite character lists.
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

#550 Gildor, outlaw companion of Barahir
The 1st of Barahir’s outlaws to appear, Gildor fought in the Dagor Bragollach under Barahir. The survivors lived in hiding until Morgoth’s cooperatives captured Gorlim to give the location of their hideaway. Gildor and the other outlaws were killed, and only Beren survived. [TG:11,Eä:1,WK:1,RF:3,JT:2,SL:2,H3:2,H5:2,H11:2=26pts,8pgs]

#549 Hobson ‘Roper’ Gamgee, grandfather of Sam
The son of Hob Gammidge had 4 children, Andy, Ham, May & Halfred. Hobson was a roper in Tighfield, and after his death, Andy took over the business. [TG:10,Eä:6,WK:1,RF:5,JT:4,LR:1=27pts,2pgs]

#548 Meneldor
He was one of the great Eagles of the northern mountains who flew to the aid of the Captains of the West in the last battle before the Gates of Mordor. With his lord Gwaihir & Landroval, he flew to the rescue of Frodo & Sam. [TG:11,Eä:4,RF:3,JT:6,LR:1,H9:2=27pts,3pgs]

#547 Hama, son of Helm Hammerhand
When the Dunlendings invaded Rohan, Háma took refuge with his father in Helm’s Deep. But during the Long Winter they were besieged, and after Yule, Háma led a group out of the fortress and never returned. [TG:9,Eä:6,WK:1,RF:3,JT:5,LR:1,H12:2=27pts,3pgs]

#546 Duilin, son of Duinhir
Duilin followed his father, Lord of Morthond, to Minas Tirith, and fought in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. He & brother Derufin led their archers against the mûmakil, but both brothers were trampled underfoot. [TG:11,Eä:5,RF:4,JT:4,LR:1,H8:2=27pts,4pgs]

#545 Deorwine, Chief Rider of Théoden
Déorwine & 6 of his knights were slain at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. [TG:10,Eä:4,WK:4,RF:3,JT:3,LR:1,H8:2=27pts,4pgs]

#544 Hirluin the Fair, Lord of Pinnath Gelin
Hirluin of the Green Hills was the leader of the people of Pinnath Gelin during the War of the Ring. He brought 300 gallant green-clad men to Minas Tirith and fought in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, rushing to the aid of the Rohirrim, but was slain on the fields before the City. [TG:11,Eä:5,RF:4,JT:4,LR:1,H8:2=27pts,5pgs]

#543 Sytbba, pony of Merry
King Théoden gave Stybba, a pony of Rohan, to Merry, prior to passing from the Hornburg to Edoras; but both Merry & Stybba were ordered to stay at the Courts with Lady Éowyn before marching to Minas Tirith. Only one of them obeyed. [TG:11,Eä:6,WK:2,RF:3,JT:2,LR:1,H8:2=27pts,6pgs]

#542 Borin, brother of King Dain I
He was the younger son of King Náin II and lived in the Grey Mts until his brother Dáin I was slain. Borin followed his nephew Thrór to the Lonely Mountain and lived there till his death. [TG:11,Eä:1,WK:2,RF:3,JT:5,LR:1,H12:4=27pts,6pgs]

#541 Goldilocks Gamgee>Took, wife of Faramir I (f)
She was the 3rd daughter of Sam & Rosie. Glorfinniel was Aragorn’s translation of her name, positing that her name was indeed a reflection of her golden hair. She married Thain Faramir son of Pippin. [TG:12,Eä:1,WK:2,RF:3,JT:3,LR:2,H9:4=27pts,10pgs]

glossary:

(f)=female

POINTS - for ENTRIES: TG=Tolkien Gateway,=Encyclopedia of Arda,WK=Wikipedia,RF=Robert Foster’s Complete Guide to Middle-earth,JT=J.E.A. Tyler’s Tolkien Companion,DD=David Day’s A-Z of Tolkien; for INDICES: LR=Lord of the Rings,SL=Silmarillion,UT=Unfinished Tales,HX=History of Middle-earth Vol.X,LT=Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien,HC=Humphrey Carpenter’s Biography,JG=John Garth’s Tolkien and the Great War,JR=John Rateliff’s History of The Hobbit,DK=Douglas Kane’s Arda Reconstructed; for both ENTRIES & INDICES: MD=Michael Drout’s Tolkien Encyclopedia; for NAME-LISTS: CH=Children of Húrin,B1 or B2=the ‘Qenya & Gnomish Lexicons’ from Book of Lost Tales Vols.1&2,FG=the ‘Fall of Gondolin’ from BoLT Vol.2,LE=the ‘Line of Elros’ tree from UT; MISC: HF=votes from the Hall of Fire thread that initiated this project + a composite of selected favourite character lists.
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

#540 Frodo Gardner, son of Samwise Gamgee
The eldest son and 2nd child of Sam & Rosie, and it was his namesake that predicted his birth following sister Elanor. Frodo became the head of the Gardner/Gamgee family and inherited Bag End, passing it on to his son Holfast & grandson Harding. [TG:12,Eä:1,WK:1,RF:4,JT:3,LR:2,H9:4=27pts,14pgs]

#539 *Avranc, son of Dorlas of Brethil
Somewhat strange but only Wikipedia seems to have taken note of this character from ‘The Wanderings of Húrin’; but they do so with a rather large entry which more than makes up for his other omissions. He was of the 2nd House of the Edain, "a young man short and dark, but strong", and by the Men of Brethil he "was not loved for himself; for though he was bold, he was scornful, as was Dorlas his father before him". When Húrin was found unconscious, Avranc suggested killing him, but was overruled by Manthor. Instead Húrin was sent to prison by Lord Hardang and put on trial, to be prosecuted by Avranc. But it was again Manthor that defended Húrin. The result was the Men of Brethil taking sides, leading to the burning of the Hall, the death of Hardang, Avranc’s slaying of Manthor & usurpation of the Lordship, and the eventual ruin of Brethil & House of Haleth. [WK:21,H11:6=27pts,20pgs]

#538 Ufthak
An Orc of Cirith Ungol, Ufthak was poisoned & captured by Shelob in her webs. His commander Shagrat saw him hanging but he & his Orcs made no effort to free him. [TG:9,Eä:2,WK:1,RF:4,JT:7,LR:1,H8:4=28pts,2pgs]

#537 Andwise Roper of Tighfield
The Gaffer’s older brother, and Sam’s uncle, inherited the family trade, as well as acquiring the surname Roper from his father Hobson Roper Gamgee. [TG:10,Eä:7,WK:1,RF:4,JT:3,LR:1,H8:2=28pts,3pgs]

#536 Hob Hayward, gatekeeper of the Eastfarthing
He watched over Buckland’s Hay Gate, but during Lotho’s reign in the Shire, the Shirriffs were reorganized and Hob was to guard the new fence at the Brandywine Bridge. When Frodo & company returned, they found Hob at the gate, who informed them of the changes in the Shire. [TG:11,Eä:7,WK:1,RF:4,JT:2,LR:1,H9:2=28pts,5pgs]

#535 Ibun, son of Mîm
He was the brother of Khîm & son of Mîm, the last of the Petty-Dwarves. When Túrin & the outlaws engaged them, the brothers fled. But Khîm was slain by an arrow, while Ibun survived and shared his father's House with the outlaw band. One day the 2 Dwarves went out, and were captured by Orcs, but Mîm survived by betraying Túrin to them. Ibun's fate isn’t known, but later Mîm told Húrin he was the last of his people, so if true, Ibun may have died at the hands of those Orcs. [TG:12,Eä:7,WK:1,RF:3,JT:1,SL:1,CH:1,UT:2=28pts,5pgs]

#534 Melilot Brandybuck, daughter of Marmadas @ (f)
The youngest child of Marmadas was a distant cousin of Merry & Frodo, and was present at Bilbo’s Farewell Party at the age of 16, where she danced the springle-ring with Everard Took. [TG:14,Eä:3,WK:2,RF:4,LR:1,H6:4=28pts,6pgs]

#533 King of the Dead Men of Dunharrow
The king of the people of the Mountains that swore allegiance to Isildur in the Last Alliance, but broke their oath, so that he & his people were cursed to walk the Paths of the Dead until redemption, achieved at last by aiding Aragorn during the War of the Ring. [TG:9,Eä:3,WK:1,RF:9,LR:2,H8:4=28pts,9pgs]

#532 Haldar, brother of Haleth
He was the son & heir of Haldad, but both were slain by Orcs in a siege of the stockade in Thargelion. Haldar died trying to recover his slain father's body. Haldar's sister Haleth took up the rule of the Haladin, but she died without heir, so Haldar's son Haldan took up the Lordship after her death. [TG:10,Eä:3,WK:1,RF:4,DK:1,SL:3,H9:6=28pts,16pgs]

#531 Sharp-ears, one of Merry’s ponies
He appears slightly later than his counterparts, who all befriended Bombadil’s Fatty Lumpkin and ended up in Butterbur’s care, due primarily to him being the only one to have had a prior original name in the drafts, that of ‘Four-foot’. [TG:14,Eä:5,WK:4,RF:5,LR:1=29pts,1pg]

glossary:

(f)=female

Voronwë the Faithful

It somehow makes me happy that Sharp-ears is higher than the King of the Dead. ;)
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Oh, Ulfthak! I was wondering where he would end up on the list on my recent re-read.
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

Well, Sharp-ears does have, not just 1, but 2 more known names than the King of the Dead. Rest assured VtF there will be no shortage of such inconsistencies to come, and I will of course have an explanation for all. ;)

And kzer za, I'll not disappoint as this block contains its requisite Orc...

#530 Thorondir, 22nd Ruling Steward of Gondor
Thorondir was 90 when he succeeded to the stewardship and ruled for only 10 years. His son Túrin II’s rule however would be longer & more influential. [TG:13,Eä:8,WK:2,RF:2,JT:1,LR:1,H12:2=29pts,2pgs]

#529 Mauhúr
Mauhúr led the Orc contingent that joined with Uglúk’s band, in the failed attempt to defeat the Rohirrim outside of Fangorn. [TG:10,Eä:5,WK:3,RF:4,JT:6,LR:1=29pts,3pgs]

#528 Gróin, father of Oin & Glóin
He’s the younger brother of Fundin, & lived 252 years, during which he was part of the exiles of Erebor after Smaug’s descent, and likely participated in the War of the Dwarves and Orcs. Gróin was also Gimli’s grandfather. [TG:14,Eä:7,WK:1,RF:2,JT:2,LR:1,H12:2=29pts,3pgs]

#527 Orodreth, 16th Ruling Steward of Gondor
He was the father of Ecthelion I, ruled 30 years, and died at the age of 109. Orodreth was no doubt named after the Elf-King of Nargothrond. [TG:13,Eä:4,WK:5,RF:2,JT:2,LR:1,H12:2=29pts,3pgs]

#526 Aravorn, 9th Chieftain of the Dúnedain
The son of Aragost ruled for 66 relatively uneventful years after Rohan was newly formed. Aravorn was succeeded by his son Arahad II. [TG:14,Eä:5,WK:4,RF:2,JT:1,LR:1,H12:2=29pts,3pgs]

#525 Náli, companion of Balin
He was part of the mission that reclaimed Moria, successful for nearly 5 years while Balin was Lord before being killed and the colony destroyed by Orcs. Náli died bravely defending the retreat of the colonists after the Battle of the Second Hall. [TG:11,Eä:6,WK:1,RF:3,JT:5,LR:1,H7:2=29pts,3pgs]

#524 Folca, 13th King of Rohan
He was the son of King Walda, and lived 60 years during a time of war with Orcs. In the end Folca cleared Rohan of the Orcs, avenging his father. But he may be better known as the hunter of the Boar of Everholt, which is how he died, from wounds from the beast's tusks. He was succeeded by his son Folcwine. [TG:12,Eä:3,WK:2,RF:5,JT:2,LR:1,H8:2,H12:2=29pts,4pgs]

#523 White Tree of Minas Ithil (n)
This was the 1st of the White Trees of Gondor, a seedling of Nimloth brought to Middle-earth on Isildur's ship, and planted in Minas Ithil. It had a short life as it was burned by Sauron after he returned to Middle-earth and attacked Gondor in 3429 S.A. Isildur again escaped with a sapling planted 14 years later in Minas Anor at the beginning of the 3rd Age. [TG:8,WK:5,RF:5,JT:5,DD:1,LR:1,SL:1,LE:1,H12:2=29pts,10pgs]

#522 Erestor, counsellor of Rivendell
He was the chief counsellor of Elrond’s household, taking part in his Council. Erestor’s preference was to guard the Ring from Sauron, suggesting Bombadil’s aid, instead of destroying it. [TG:9,Eä:2,WK:6,RF:2,JT:1,LR:1,H6:4,H7:4=29pts,19pgs]

#521 *Gilfanon, Lord of Tavrobel
He was a very ancient Noldo, lord of the region of Eressëa which they called home, and was said to be the oldest Elf of the Isle during Eriol’s visit, “albeit Meril held the title of Lady of the Isle”. In the 1st Age Gilfanon was with the Noldor who came to Hithlum, befriending both Sindar and Men. “To their legends and their memories he added his own knowledge, for he had been deep-versed in many lores and tongues [and] of many very ancient deeds”. It was Gilfanon who told Eriol the ‘Tale of the Sun and Moon’, as well as the tale of the ‘Travail of the Noldoli and the Coming of Mankind’ also known as Gilfanon’s Tale. He lived in the House of a Hundred Chimneys. [TG:6,WK:1,MD:1,JG:1,H1:6,H2:8,H4:4,H5:2=29pts,48pgs]

glossary:

(f)=female (n)=neutral

Dân o Nandor on Anduin

#520 Hob ‘Old Gammidgy’ Gammidge, the Roper
The son of Wiseman Gamwich, who relocated his family from the village of Gamwich to Tighfield, Hob founded a family tradition as a roper. His son was Hobson ‘Roper Gamgee’, and his grandsons were Andwise Roper & the Gaffer. The nickname Gammidgy would give way to the surname of Gamgee. [TG:8,Eä:9,WK:1,RF:5,JT:5,LR:2=30pts,1pg]

#519 Barahir, grandson of Faramir
The son of Elboron son of Faramir Prince of Ithilien, this Barahir wrote the ‘Tale of Aragorn & Arwen’ in the 2nd century of the 4th Age. An abbreviated version of his work appeared in the Thain’s Book. [TG:11,Eä:9,WK:2,RF:4,JT:3,LR:1=30pts,1pg]

#518 Fuinir, a Lord of Harad
Apparently a Númenórean who fell under the influence of Sauron during the Dark Lord’s time in that land, Fuinir sailed to Middle-earth with a companion named Herumor. They became lords of the southern lands of the Haradrim. Herumor, literally ‘Dark Lord’, will appear a little later. [TG:8,Eä:3,WK:11,RF:2,JT:4,SL:2=30pts,1pg]

#517 Fram, son of Frumgar
He was the 5th Lord of the Éothéod, who lived by the Grey Mountains, troubled by Scatha the Worm. Fram slew the Dragon and claimed his hoard, rebuking the claim of the Dwarves to this treasure. He sent them the teeth of Scatha, along with the message, "Jewels such as these you will not match in your treasuries, for they are hard to come by." Rumour has it the Dwarves killed Fram for this. [TG:10,Eä:1,WK:2,RF:4,JT:12,LR:1=30pts,2pgs]

#516 Atanatar I, 10th King of Gondor
He was the son of Turambar, the conquerer of the Easterlings. Atanatar I ruled 81 years, from 667 T.A. to his death at age 268. His reign was relatively uneventful, and he was succeeded by his son Siriondil. [TG:14,Eä:1,WK:9,RF:2,JT:1,LR:1,H12:2=30pts,2pgs]

#515 Diamond ‘of Long Cleeve’ Took, wife of Pippin (f)
She was from the Northfarthing, and married Peregrin in 1427 S.R. They had one son, Faramir, who became the 33rd Thain of the Shire. Diamond was probably a descendant of the Bullroarer Took, as were the North-Tooks of Long Cleeve. [TG:12,Eä:2,WK:4,RF:4,JT:5,MD:1,LR:2=30pts,3pgs]

#514 & #513 Angamaitë & Sangahyando, of Umbar
They were the great-grandsons of Castamir the Usurper, and followed in his footsteps. They led the Corsairs of Umbar on a raid against Pelargir, where they slew King Minardil and ravaged the city. [TG:13,Eä:5,WK:1,RF:4,JT:2,LR:1,H12:4=30pts,5pgs - each]

#512 & #511 Urthel & Dairuin, outlaw companions of Barahir
After Gildor (back at 550), they’re the next 2 members of Barahir’s band to appear. They fought in the Dagor Bragollach, loyal to their lord Barahir, and survived to form a small band of outlaws in Dorthonion, living in hiding for a time, until Gorlim betrayed their location to Morgoth. Urthel, Dairuin, & the other outlaws were killed; only Beren, away on an errand, survived. [TG:10,Eä:4,WK:1,RF:3,JT:2,SL:2,H3:4,H5:2,H11:2=30pts,5pgs - each]

glossary:

(f)=female (n)=neutral

Dân o Nandor on Anduin

#510 Estella Bolger>Brandybuck, wife of Merry @ (f)
Fatty Bolger’s younger sister - they being the children of Odovacar Bolger & Rosamunda Took - Estella married Meriadoc after the War of the Ring. She was a late addition by Tolkien, and didn’t appear in the family-trees of the LotR 1st ed. [TG:13,Eä:5,WK:3,RF:4,MD:3,LR:2=30pts,6pgs]

#509 Tar- Anárion, 8th Ruler of Númenor
His mother, Tar-Ancalimë, was the first ruling Queen, and his father was Hallacar son of the Lord of Hyarastorni. Tar-Anárion lived to be 401, and ruled for 114 years, surrendering the sceptre 10 years before he died. His 2 daughters feared & disliked their grandmother, who wouldn’t let them marry, and both declined the throne. Thus Tar-Anárion was succeeded by their younger brother, his son Tar-Súrion. [TG:12,Eä:2,WK:4,RF:2,JT:1,LR:1,UT:6,LE:2=30pts,6pgs]

#508 Adelard Took, son of Flambard @
He was the son of Flambard, son of Isembard, son of the Old Took. He and his sons & daughters were all at Bilbo’s Farewell Party, where Adelard received an umbrella as a parting gift the next morning. In the drafts he was Mungo, then Uffo, until finally Adelard. [TG:9,Eä:5,WK:2,RF:3,LR:1,H6:6,H7:4=30pts,6pgs]

#507 Gelmir of Nargothrond, brother of Gwindor
He and his brother were noble Elves of Nargothrond, the sons of Guilin. Gelmir was captured by Morgoth, blinded, and later mutilated and slain before the walls of Barad Eithel in front of the elven host which included his brother Gwindor. That began the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, when Gwindor, upon witnessing this, madly charged the host of Morgoth. [TG:8,Eä:3,WK:1,RF:4,JT:5,DK:2,SL:2,CH:1,H4:2,H11:2=30pts,6pgs]

#506 Lassemista, rowan-tree of Fangorn (n)
The last to appear here of the 3 rowans of Fangorn Forest cut down by Saruman’s Orcs, and mourned & avenged by Bregalad. They’ve chimed in separately simply because their entry-lengths have varied, due to such things as etymological speculation, more than I could reasonably tweak their convergence as I’ve done with some other partnerships. The name of this rowan means "leaf-grey" in High-elven. Some may rest assured that no rowan-trees crack the top 500. [TG:7,Eä:2,RF:2,JT:19,LR:1=31pts,2pgs]

#505 Arathorn I, 12th Chieftain of the Dúnedain
He lived 155 years, ruling for 64 after succeeding his father, Arassuil. His reign was a time of recovery from the Long Winter, and relatively uneventful, although he died a premature death, and was succeeded by his son Argonui. [TG:13,Eä:2,WK:9,RF:3,JT:1,LR:1,H12:2=31pts,3pgs - each]

#504 Óin, King of Dúrin’s Folk
He lived 250 years and was King for 103, succeeding his father King Glóin. During Óin's reign, his line continued to dwell in the Grey Mts, but near the end, the Shadow returned to Dol Guldur and Orcs began to infest the Misty Mts. Óin was succeeded by his son Náin II, see below. [TG:16,Eä:6,WK:1,RF:2,JT:3,LR:1,H12:2=31pts,3pgs]

#503 Náin II, King of Dúrin’s Folk
He lived 247 years and was King for 97, succeeding his father above. Náin II’s reign began shortly after the end of the Watchful Peace. During his time, the Éothéod left their northern lands by the Grey Mts to settle in Calenardhon, and near the end, dragons came to assault the Dwarves. [TG:17,Eä:4,WK:1,RF:2,JT:4,LR:1,H12:2=31pts,4pgs]

#502 Freáwine, 5th King of Rohan
Fréawine was the son of Fréa and grandson of Aldor the Old. He lived 86 years, ruling for 21. His reign was a time of relative peace & prosperity in Rohan. Fréawine was succeeded by his son Goldwine. [TG:13,Eä:10,WK:2,RF:2,JT:1,LR:1,H12:2=31pts,4pgs]

#501 Khîm, son of Mîm
His brother Ibun appeared back at #535. Neither crack the top 500, but their father certainly will. Khîm was the son who was struck by a stray arrow fired by one of Túrin’s outlaws as he fled. Though he made it back to Mîm's halls, he died from his wound before his father returned. Túrin & his companions came to dwell in Mîm's house, and so it was known as the House of Ransom. The outlaw who shot him, Andróg, was cursed by Mîm, and forced to break his bow. [TG:11,Eä:6,WK:1,RF:2,JT:3,SL:2,CH:2,UT:4=31pts,4pgs]

glossary:

(f)=female (n)=neutral

Dân o Nandor on Anduin

And so we begin the Arda 500.

I’ll now attach race/sub-race/occupation classifications to each character, which, unless precise titles or vocations are had, will often be the most appropriate approximations given a short-list of options. Where an occupation isn’t listed, for men it’s due to the inability to be even remotely categorized (ie. most adult male hobbits); for women it’s due to the lack of a distinct vocation or title (ie. most that aren’t either queens, princesses, or ruling-ladies); and as such, mother, wife, child, unknown are the 4-stages of default classification for occupations.

I’ll also continue to maintain a general bio of each character, since some characters are still not totally known to most (including myself). By the top-300, this will be bypassed in favour of how each brings importance to the Legendarium, charting their history over the course of Tolkien’s writings.

For now, Onward!

#500 Aunt Dora Baggins @ (f) – hobbit
She was the daughter of Fosco Baggins & Ruby Bolger, and was Frodo’s aunt, as her younger brothers were Dudo & Drogo. She has no recorded husband or children, but Dora apparently enjoyed writing letters of advice, thus her first-cousin Bilbo gave her a waste-paper basket as a parting gift. She was aged 99 at the Party, and died 5 years later. [TG:10,Eä:6,WK:1,RF:4,JT:3,LR:1,H6:6=31pts,4pgs]

#499 Falathar, companion of Eärendil – adan mariner
He’s one of 3 faithful companions of Eärendil who “had sailed all the seas beside him”. Falathar reached the Blessed Realm where he remained aboard Vingilot with his companions, Erellont (who’s appeared already) and Aerandir (appearing soon), while Elwing & Eärendil delivered their message to the Valar. Their fate is unknown, as is their race in some circles, but since they’re never hinted at in Tolkien’s texts as being anything other, I classify them as Edain of unknown house. [TG:13,Eä:4,RF:2,JT:4,SL:2,H4:2,H5:4=31pts,4pgs]

#498 Walda, 12th King of Rohan – rohirrim king
He was the son of Brytta Léofa, serving in his father's army, battling Orcs attempting to invade Rohan. Walda became king after Brytta’s death, but was killed by an Orc in Dunharrow after just 9 years of rule. He was succeeded & avenged by his son Folca. [TG:12,Eä:4,WK:2,RF:3,JT:5,LR:1,H8:2,H12:2=31pts,5pgs]

#497 Flói, companion of Balin – dwarf adventurer
He was a member of Balin’s company who tried to reclaim Moria in 2989 T.A. Flói was killed by an Orc arrow during the clearing of the 1st halls, and was buried ‘under grass’ near the Mirrormere, as he could not yet be lain in a tomb of stone according to Dwarf tradition. [TG:8,Eä:5,WK:1,RF:5,JT:7,LR:1,H6:2,H7:2=31pts,6pgs]

#496 Adrahil II, 21st Prince of Dol Amroth – gondorian dúnadan lord
He was the son of Angelimir, and the father of three: Ivriniel, the eldest; Finduilas, who married Denethor II and bore Boromir & Faramir; and Imrahil who succeeded Adrahil as Prince in 3010 T.A. The former appeared back near #1000, but the latter 2 of course have yet to appear. [TG:14,Eä:2,WK:1,RF:3,JT:2,LR:1,UT:2,H8:2,H12:4=31pts,11pgs]

#495 Snaga of Cirith Ungol – mordor orc warrior
The term Snaga is controversial, as a probable epithet, but it does specifically apply to 2 Orcs in LotR: Snaga of Isengard, who appeared back near #1000; and Snaga of the garrison at Cirith Ungol. This Snaga was one of the few survivors of the Battle of Cirith Ungol, and encountered a Great Elf-Warrior, Sam, on the stairs. After disputing with his superior Shagrat, and lashing Frodo with a whip, Snaga was overcome by Sam and fell through a trap door to his death. [TG:14,WK:5,RF:6,LR:2,H7:2,H9:2=31pts,13pgs]

#494 Ulwarth, son of Ulfang the Black – easterling warrior
Ulfang & sons joined the service of Caranthir, 4th son of Fëanor, after entering Beleriand at Morgoth’s bidding. Their purpose was to betray the Elves, which they did in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, attacking them in the rear. Ulwarth was slain by the sons of Bór, who had stayed loyal to the sons of Fëanor. [TG:9,Eä:2,WK:1,RF:4,JT:1,SL:2,H4:6,H5:4,H11:2=31pts,20pgs]

#493 *Meril-i-Turinqi, Lady of Tol Eressëa (f) – vanya ruling-lady
She was not only of the Vanyar, but of the Inwir, great-granddaughter of Ingwë, High King of all Elves, and granddaughter of Ingil, 1st Lord of Tol Eressëa. It is said the “wiser of the Elves learned the secret speech of the Gods and long treasured it, but after the coming to Tol Eressëa none remembered it save the Inwir, and now that knowledge has died save in the house of Meril”. She was the Lady of the Isle and the Queen of Flowers, and had a company of maidens, who “sang the most beautiful songs that island knew”, at the time when Eriol arrived. He was guided to her white house, and “as he drew near a sound of music came to him, and a fair lady amid many maidens stepped forth as it were to meet him… ‘Welcome, O mariner of many seas – wherefore do you seek the pleasure of my quiet gardens’?”. She was Galadriel on steroids before there was a Galadriel. And nothing contradicts her still ruling the Isle into the 4th Age. [TG:10,JG:2,H1:6,B1:9,H2:4=31pts,32pgs]

#492 Eärendur, 15th Lord of Andúnië – númenórean lord
He lived during the reign of Ar-Sakalthôr, and was a leader of the Faithful when the King’s Men grew in influence. Eärendur was the brother of Lindórië, grandmother of Tar-Palantir, and an ancestor of the line of Elendil & Elessar. [TG:15,Eä:4,WK:1,RF:2,JT:3,SL:1,UT:4,H12:2=32pts,4pgs]

#491 Tar-Telemmaitë, 15th King of Númenor – númenórean king
His name means Silver-handed, as he loved silver, and was always searching for mithril. From his time onwards, the Kings ruled from the death of their predecessor to their own death. Tar-Telemmaitë was succeeded by Tar-Vanimeldë, the 3rd Ruling Queen. [TG:13,Eä:1,WK:2,RF:2,JT:1,MD:1,LR:1,UT:4,LE:7=32pts,5pgs]

glossary:

(f)=female (n)=neutral

Dân o Nandor on Anduin

#490 Ragnor, outlaw companion of Barahir – 1st house adan warrior
He was part of the group of 12 men (Gildor, Dairuin & Urthel have already appeared here) loyal to their lord Barahir, that survived the Battle of Sudden Flame. They formed a band of outlaws in Dorthonian, living in hiding until Morgoth’s agents captured Gorlim the Unhappy who betrayed their hideaway. Orcs were sent, and killed Ragnor & the other outlaws; only Beren, away on errand, survived. [TG:10,Eä:8,WK:1,RF:2,JT:1,SL:2,H3:4,H5:2,H11:2=32pts,5pgs]

#489 Inzilbêth, Queen of Númenor – númenórean queen
She was the daughter of Lindórië, niece of Eärendur Lord of Andúnië, descendant of Tar-Calmacil. Not a Ruling Queen, Inzilbêth was taken to wife by Ar-Gimilzôr, but was secretly a member of the Faithful, whom her husband opposed. Her elder son, Tar-Palantir, chose her teachings rather than his father's when he became the 23rd King of Númenor, whereas her younger son Gimilkhâd followed his father. [TG:11,Eä:3,WK:2,RF:5,JT:3,SL:2,UT:4,H12:2=32pts,6pgs]

#488 Théodwyn, sister of Théoden – rohirrim princess
She was the daughter of King Thengel and Morwen Steelsheen, and married Éomund of Eastfold. Their children were Éomer & Éowyn, but Éomund was ambushed and slain by Orcs while they were still children. Théodwyn died of illness not long after, and Théoden raised her two children after her death. [TG:9,Eä:4,WK:2,RF:4,JT:4,LR:1,UT:4,H7:2,H12:2=32pts,6pgs]

#487 Éothain, rider of Éomer – rohirrim warrior
Éothain was a member of Éomer’s riders that overran the orcs who captured Merry & Pippin near Fangorn. After encountering Aragorn, Legolas & Gimli, Éothain didn’t believe that hobbits existed and argued against giving the horses to the 3 companions. [TG:13,Eä:3,WK:7,RF:2,JT:2,LR:1,H7:2,H8:2=32pts,7pgs]

#486 Calmacil, 18th King of Gondor – gondorian dúnadan king
He was younger brother of King Narmacil I, who, during his reign, bestowed Regency upon Calmacil’s ambitous and talented son Minalcar. When Narmacil died without heir, Calmacil was old, so he continued to have his son function as Regent. Upon the death of Calmacil, his son became King Rómendacil II of renown. [TG:13,Eä:3,WK:5,RF:3,JT:3,LR:1,H12:4=32pts,8pgs]

#485 Bereg, son of Baranor – 1st house adan adventurer
He was the son of Baranor, who was the younger son of Baran son of Bëor the Old. Bereg headed the unrest in Estolad, opposing the Wars of Beleriand, and led 1000 Men of the House of Bëor back into Eriador. Their ultimate fate is unknown. [TG:9,Eä:2,WK:1,RF:4,JT:6,DK:1,SL:3,H11:4,H12:2=32pts,9pgs]

#484 Gundor, youngest child of Hador Lórindol – 3rd house adan warrior
He was the 2nd son of Hador Lórindol, both of whom died, pierced by arrows, in the Battle of Sudden Flame. Gundor was aged 37 when he died, with no recorded wife or children. His 2 older siblings, Glóredhel & Galdor, had a joint wedding with 2 children of Halmir of the 2nd House at a great feast of the Edain. Gundor’s nephews, Handir, Húrin & Huor, were all teenagers when he died. [TG:8,Eä:1,WK:1,RF:4,JT:5,SL:3,H4:4,H5:4,H11:2=32pts,27pgs]

#483 Girion, King of Dale – northman king.
Not much is known about him, other than he possessed a necklace of 500 emeralds, which he gave to the Dwarves of Erebor as payment for forging a coat of dwarf-linked rings for his eldest son. He also witnessed the assault of Smaug, in which Girion was killed, but his wife & child escaped down the River Running. His descendant was Bard of Esgaroth, who of course garnered revenge by slaying the dragon with an arrow, and Girion’s Necklace was found among the dragon's hoard. [TG:18,Eä:2,WK:4,RF:4,JT:5=33pts,0pgs]

#482 Tar-Alcarin, 17th Ruler of Númenor – númenórean king
He was the son of Ruling Queen Tar-Vanimeldë & Herucalmo a descendant of Tar-Atanamir, and his name means ‘the Glorious’. When Tar-Vanimeldë died in 2637 S.A., Herucalmo usurped the Sceptre as Tar-Anducal, who himself appeared as the earliest Númenórean King on this list, although he’s not reckoned in the Line of Kings as the 17th Ruler. Tar-Alcarin waited for 20 years to become King after the death of his father. [TG:13,Eä:7,WK:3,RF:2,JT:3,LR:1,UT:2,LE:2=33pts,2pgs]

#481 Elfwine the Fair, 19th King of Rohan – rohirrim king
He was the 2nd King of the 3rd Line of Rohan, ruling in the early 4th Age. Elfwine was the son of Éomer & Lothíriel of Dol Amroth, and was said to bear a striking likeness to his maternal grandfather Prince Imrahil.
[TG:10,Eä:7,WK:5,RF:2,JT:2,LR:1,UT:4,H12:2=33pts,3pgs]

glossary:

(f)=female (n)=neutral

Voronwë the Faithful

I'll be curious to see how high Gorlim himself ends up.

I would have thought that Théodwyn might have been a little higher on the list, had I guessed. But then she doesn't have the advantage that some of the female characters have of their standing being boosted by my book. ;)
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

I believe only Barahir & Beren will appear after Gorlim, VtF. However Gorlim's wife will appear very soon, next in fact, as the last 33-point character, and surprisingly without your help. ;)

#480 Frár, companion of Balin – dwarf adventurer
Last of the predominant companions of Balin to appear on the list, Frár was one who fell in the battle of the 2nd Hall.. [TG:11,Eä:8,WK:1,RF:3,JT:5,LR:1,H7:4=33pts,3indx.pgs]

#479 Lindórië of Andúnië, mother of Inzilbêth (f) – númenórean
She was the daughter of the 14th Lord of Andúnië, and was born during the dark times of the Númenorian Kings. But she was of the Faithful, and passed her beliefs on to her daughter Inzilbêth, who passed them to her son Inziladún, and when he took the Sceptre, he reverted to the Quenya name Tar-Palantir. [TG:14,Eä:6,WK:1,RF:2,JT:3,SL:1,UT:4,H12:2=33pts,4indx.pgs]

#478 Aerandir, companion of Eärendil – adan mariner
He’s the last of the 3 mariners that accompanied Eärendil, along with Erellont & Falathar, to appear here. See Falathar, back at #499, for questions of race. [TG:11,Eä:4,RF:2,JT:4,SL:2,H4:2,H5:4,H11:4=33pts,4indx.pgs]

#477 Dior, 9th Ruling Steward of Gondor – gondorian dúnadan ruling-steward
He was the last Ruling Steward during the Watchful Peace. Dior, named for the son of Beren & Lúthien, was succeeded by his sister Rían’s son Denethor I. [TG:15,Eä:10,WK:1,RF:2,JT:2,LR:1,H12:2=33pts,5indx.pgs]

#476 Odo Proudfoot, son of Bodo @ – hobbit
He was the son of Bilbo’s aunt Linda, who married Bodo Proudfoot. Odo was the guest at Bilbo’s Farewell Party that insisted on the nominal plural of ‘Proudfeet’. At that time, he was 97 years old, and only lived for a few years after. His grandson Sacho attempted to excavate Bag End for treasure. [TG:17,Eä:6,WK:4,RF:3,LR:1,H6:2=33pts,6indx.pgs]

#475 Ingold of Minas Tirith – gondorian guard
Where the road to Rohan passed through the Rammas Echor, a Gondorian guard was posted, led by Ingold. He gave permission to Gandalf & Pippin to enter Minas Tirith. Later, he retreated back to the city with his men, reporting that the northern road had fallen into the hands of the enemy. [TG:14,Eä:6,RF:3,JT:3,LR:1,H8:4,H12:2=33pts,6indx.pgs]

#474 Arthad, outlaw companion of Barahir – 1st house adan warrior
Another of the 12 outlaws to appear, Arthad fought under Barahir, and was part of the band of survivors in Dorthonion, until they were revealed by Gorlim and killed. [TG:10,Eä:3,WK:1,RF:2,JT:5,SL:2,H3:4,H5:2,H11:4=33pts,7indx.pgs]

#473 Robin ‘Cock-robin’ Smallburrow, Shirriff of Hobbiton – hobbit sheriff
Robin was an old friend of the Gamgees, born & raised in Hobbiton. He was a Shirrif, but was reassigned to the 1st Eastfarthing Troop in Frogmorton during Lotho’s reign, and was sent to arrest the 4 returning hobbits, with unsuccessful result. [TG:15,Eä:2,WK:1,RF:5,JT:5,LR:1,H9:4=33pts,8indx.pgs]

#472 Orophin of Lórien – silvan guard
He’s the brother of Rúmil, recently appearing here; & Haldir, who has yet to appear, a fair ways away – testament to Tolkien Gateway’s slight skewing towards the movie-verse. [TG:14,Eä:2,WK:2,RF:3,JT:3,LR:1,H7:8=33pts,10indx.pgs]

#471 Gorbadoc ‘Broadbelt’ Brandybuck, Master of Buckland – hobbit master
He was the son of Marmadoc ‘Masterful’, and succeeded his father as Master in 1310 S.R. Gorbadoc married Mirabella Took, and they had 7 children - the youngest Primula, mother of Frodo. [TG:10,Eä:6,WK:1,RF:6,JT:4,LR:2,H6:4=33pts,10indx.pgs]

glossary:

(f)=female (n)=neutral