The History of the Silmarils - a serialization

A forum for our members to collaborate on scripts adapted from Tolkien's works, patterned on the massive LOTR screenplay authored by ToshoftheWuffingas.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well, I was replying to your last post, V, but, anyway, glad you like this one better!

The Sauron repenting scene was tricky to try and pull off...a case of juggling what to show and what not to show. I also wanted to set up Morgoth's fate so that the audience knew what was going to happen, so that when it came to the actual scene it could be purely visual... (hope that pleases PtB, ;) )
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Elen,

I like this new entry a lot, actually! The main difference is that now we have Elrond and Elros doing heroic and adventury things - out riding and surveying the devastation of the WoW, etc, which seems to fit tonally. This is in stark stylistic contrast to the domesticity of them huddling under blankets as children, wondering about their father (who is, jarringly, a star), and Maglor's discourse on the proper way to cook a carp.

In general, scenes focusing on the discourse of children seems so oddly modern and intimate, that I would advocate generally keeping the little brats on the sidelines (unless they are interacting with other main adult characters, such as, say, Túrin)! At least, I would advocate this policy until we start approaching the less remote times of the Third Age...

But that may just be me. Mini-Elrond and mini-Elros just strikes me as comedic!
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

PtB wrote:Maglor's discourse on the proper way to cook a carp.
Now you're just making things up!!! :nono:
Mini-Elrond and mini-Elros just strikes me as comedic!

That's charming! The scene was supposed to be full of pathos! :P

There's no need to rub it in...I know I lost my way a bit! Mainly confusion about how exactly how old the kids were, and trying to show the passage of time, if the WoW was supposed to take decades. I do agree it is better to just jump ahead to where the twins are pretty much adults (of course, being Half-Elven we don't really know how fast they would have aged, anyway,) and I definitely feel happier about how things are working now. :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Oh, I'm not rubbing it in! Sorry if it came across that way. I was just riffing, and it was supposed to be light-hearted. I forget to add smileys sometimes (need to take a page out of Wildwood's book). When in doubt: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I wouldn't say you lost your way, either, as some would find those scenes quite charming. I would appreciate them as well, were they to take place in a different setting/ context.

Anyway, I was definitely joking about the Maglor/ carp thing. The scene just struck my funny bone, that's all!

Would you like some chocolate? :D
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

As long as it's >70%, ;)

And it's okay, I was taking it in the spirit intended, hence my smileys! :D

I was probably trying to be too clever/complicated with the Ancalagon scene cutting, anyway...
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

:hug:

Though now I can't help but think of the emoticon above as mini-Elrond and mini-Elros hugging it out during a storm.
:scarey:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

But it wasn't just any old storm... :roll:

Time to move on, I think... :hug:
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

So, a question for you....

The text says that Eönwë summons the Elves of Beleriand to leave M-e when the Host departs, I'm taking the approach that everyone was gathered together as they moved ahead of the rising waters, and that the announcement of the lifting of the Ban was made verbally to this gathering, rather than by Divine telepathy or whatever!

So...this presumably means that Celebrimbor, would have been present, along with the Twins, Gil-galad, Círdan, Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

How involved (as bystanders) should Celebrimbor and the Twins be in Maedhros and Maglor's stealing of the jewels?
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

My initial reaction would be to say "not at all" but that might be my lack of imagination and ability to visualize the scene with them present. As long as they are not participants (evenly passively) in the theft, I don't think it would be "wrong" to have them present. I just am having a problem visualizing it. That doesn't mean that you, with your skill, could not pull it off (I hope that doesn't come across as patronizing; I mean it honestly).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I suppose what I am asking basically, is whether, during the confrontation, the brothers M might try to get either Celebrimbor (as their nephew and fellow Feanorian) or the Twins on their side? Obviously I would have both (all) denounce the brothers...
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Interesting thought. The best I can say is play around with it, and I'll let you know how I react to it once I see it. I'd be curious to hear what others think of the idea.
Passdagas the Brown

For what it's worth, I would have some of them not be present, and to hear about the lifting of the ban from messengers, etc (ravens, even?) Just for verisimilitude. I'm always taken out of a story when various characters from disparate places and competing views are easily brought together for an epic speech.

Plus, it allows you to add messenger ravens. :)

Ignore me, if you like. :hug:
Voronwë the Faithful

Just as an aside, you have completely ruined that emoticon for me. :x
Passdagas the Brown

Why? Mini smiley Elros and Elrond don't give you the warm and fuzzies?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

It used to be a meaningful emoticon...
PtB wrote:For what it's worth, I would have some of them not be present, and to hear about the lifting of the ban from messengers, etc (ravens, even?) Just for verisimilitude. I'm always taken out of a story when various characters from disparate places and competing views are easily brought together for an epic speech.

Plus, it allows you to add messenger ravens. :)

Ignore me, if you like. :hug:

That is all very well but I've done the "report of events" thing enough already and some of the characters surely would have come to Eönwë's camp - Galadriel would not have passed up the chance to see her father again, likewise Ereinion as King in Exile would have a reason for meeting with the other Eldar leaders. I can see Celebrimbor not being involved if you like, though Círdan would have come with the ships as the waters rose anyway so that leaves Celebrimbor high and dry, so to speak!

The Twins are a different matter...they don't have to come, but we know they rejoined Ereinion at some point after the WoW, and I figured it would make sense for them to come to see Eönwë so that he can give them their own personal choice to make. The others that decide to remain in M-e would presumably have spoken to each other and been aware of their choices, so truly, to me it makes sense to have a gathering of the clans - it is the finale, after all! ;)
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm sold.
Passdagas the Brown

Sounds great, Elen. I can get behind that completely.

And re: the emoticon. That's my specialty. I take things that once had meaning, and strip them of it entirely (or associate it with an entirely different - and frequently useless - meaning).

In this case, for example, the hugging emoticon, which used to convey a very useful emotion of solidarity and warm friendship, now only means "Baby Elrond and Elros love each other."

You're welcome. I accept cash, credit or money order for my services.
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

Passdagas the Brown

Awww! They're so cute!

But lore question: Why is Elrond greenish blue, while Elros is red? Is that a foreshadowing of their future choices, which diverge along racial lines?