A way forward

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

A way forward

Post by Impenitent »

http://education.independent.co.uk/scho ... 201860.ece

We have a thread about peace in the ME

and there's a thread discussing religion in schools (or religious schools)

This article talks about a religious school which encourages interfaith understanding and, I believe, is a beacon for how we can work towards peace, by educating the next generation about what we have in common, in building real person-to-person friendships.

vison, I think if the school for your boys works as well as this one, you have nothing to worry about. Indeed, you would have cause for celebration!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's very cool, Impish!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Wow, that is simply remarkable. :shock:

The two races of Abraham coming together. 8)

Good on that school. :)

And way to go Birmingham! :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

That's really great. :thumbsup:
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

That is one impressive school! I believe that that is an amazing way to teach children about other religions and cultures. One can only hope that if more of these schools were to be built than there would be a significant decrease in antisemitism and islamophobia!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

While it is a cool thing, it struck me as a tad weird and I think it's cuz the multi-cultural lesson only goes one way (apparently). If the Jewish kids were learning Arabic and some of the Islamic traditions, it might sit a bit more easily with me.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I would still rather send my kid to a secular school, where they are taught about all religions.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Mahima the situation here is a special case. Muslims and Jews need to learn more about the other person's religion and generally there aren't many schools where Muslims and Jews really do that. I agree that a secular school which talked about both religions (and other ones of course) would be better but sadly I've never heard of one.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I think I get your point, sw. This also got me thinking about my early years in Christian schools (am sorry I will not be able to get more specific than that, am a little clueless about it all :P). My Dad was in the Army then, so we travelled around in India, and were not in large cities. The good schools were usually English/Christian kind of schools. I spent three formative years in Sophia, which is described as a "convent" in India - which essentially means run by people of Christian order. Since I was exposed to my religion, culture etc at home, the school exposed me to another - I think I benefitted from it, rather than lost. And this echoes what the Muslim parents said about their children.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude