Caring about Africa

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Military coup in Niger

This might actually be a good thing, given that the current President has insisted on staying in office beyond the end of his term. It'll depend on whether the generals actually follow through on their promise to restore democracy, though.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Do they ever?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

A bit of good news for a change.

Guinea votes in landmark election
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oh, I hope it goes well, Voronwë. Soldiers not having to vote in their barracks is a good sign.

And, of course, Konate has to allow power to be transferred to the winner of the election. What do you know about him, Voronwë? Do you think he'll keep his word?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

yovargas wrote:Do they ever?
I think Pakistan pulled it off.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Primula Baggins wrote:And, of course, Konate has to allow power to be transferred to the winner of the election. What do you know about him, Voronwë? Do you think he'll keep his word?
I am cautiously optimistic. To review the history (which wasn't completely covered in the article that I posted, after Lansana Conte died in 2008, a military Junta led by a charismatic young army Captain, 'Dadis' Camara, took power. After initially promising to transition to civilian rule, Dadis backed away from the promise and indicated that he would run for President, and it seemed clear that the same pattern that had previously occurred with Conte (and in many other siutations in Africa and elsewhere) would repeat itself. Then there was the horrible massacre (and mass public rapes) at the opposition rally last year, and the situation seemed to be teetering on disaster. But in a weird twist, Dadis was then shot in the head by the head of his bodyguard (who apparently was directly responsible for the massacre), and by most accounts has become an invalid. General Konate, who was the head of the military and the deputy leader of the Junta then took over a transitional government, sharing power with an opposition leader acting as Prime Minister. The key is that Konate really has no political ambitions himself (and did not run in the election). By all accounts, he is genuinely interested in transitioning to civilian rule. The only real wild card are Dadis supporters who would like to see him return and take over the government. But it doesn't seem like that is likely to be a big issue.

The bigger issue is whether the new government will be able to successfully provide the services that are so desperately needed by the poverty-stricken country. There are a lot of resources to use to support that effort, if they are not siphoned off through corruption.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Cautious optimism sounds better than I would have expected, if I'd known the whole story of what's happened since the massacre.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

The long winding road of Guinea's first-ever free election appears to finally reaching fruition.

Guinea Votes in Its First Democratic Presidential Election

The next few weeks will be telling. If the country can avoid serious ethnic strife and implement the results of the run-off, it will be a major victory.
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Interesting, V, and thank you for posting that. I hope that the coming weeks will be peaceful for Guineans. I am nearly always glad to hear that former dictatorships have started to democratize "organically", rather than having democracy be set up by some outside state. I think that such a process, if successful, will end up being far more stable. I truly hope this will be the case in Guinea. Certainly it will take decades, at the least, for most of Africa to become politically and socially stable, but we can all celebrate the smaller victories along the way.

On an unrelated Africa topic, an immunology professor from the University of Ghana spoke to my molecular biology class today about malaria and drug resistance. The disease has a very interesting history (at least, for those who find that kind of thing interesting at all :) ). Its epidemiology is not as well known in the West, I think, as diseases such as HIV, but it has been around for thousands of years and existed in most of the world until recently. Most wealthy nations have eradicated it. It is a disease that is is most lethal to the poor, particularly very young children. :( It's almost similar to the flu or even the common cold in this way. The professor who spoke said that, growing up, he got malaria about twice a year. Those with stronger immune systems who can afford the necessary drug treatment will survive easily. The poor and malnourished are less lucky. There is no vaccine for malaria like there is for the flu, and the parasite has become resistant to some of the drugs that once treated it most effectively (like chloroquine).
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - HDT
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

This is an interesting topic but, except in regard to how it's affecting Africa, not related to yovargas's purpose in starting this thread, so I'm going to split off the unrelated discussion. Everybody pick up their drinks until the shaking stops.

Okay, done. New thread is here.
Voronwë the Faithful

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Here's a Reuters article from today, describing the first results:

Tensions mount as Guinea poll results trickle in
Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

SNAP ANALYSIS-Guinea election: focus on loser's reaction
Guinea's veteran opposition leader Alpha Conde has turned around a poor first-round performance to defeat favourite Cellou Dalein Diallo and win a run-off for the presidency of the West African county.

With tension running high and some outbreaks of violence before the provisional results were announced on Monday, all eyes will now focus on whether and how Diallo challenges the results.

International and regional pressure on him to confine his challenge to legal means and accept defeat gracefully will be intense, but so will be the frustration of many of his supporters, meaning the risk of violence will be high.
We'll see.
Voronwë the Faithful

Sadly, it seems to be following a predictable pattern:

Guinea boosts security in hotspots under state of emergency
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:(
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

:neutral:

If reports that the military are participating in targeting the losing side's supporters is are true and if this is widespread, then how different is this democratic victory from yet another military rule?
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm not sure yet whether it is true. I'm trying to get a sense of what is happening from people that I know there, but I haven't heard anything directly yet. But initial reports in the media are certainly not promising.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

That is why I haven't given this election too much consideration. It seems to me that it will simply follow the regular pattern. Stable democracy needs certain preconditions to arise, and I don't see those present in Guinea or anywhere else in Francophone Africa.
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, fortunately you appear to be wrong on this one, L_M. The Guinean Supreme Court has affirmed the victory of opposition leader Alpha Conde, and his rival Cellou Dalein Diallo has conceded. By all accounts, the country is peaceful and moving forward.

Diallo concedes after Conde named Guinea president

Conde has announced plans to form a truth and reconciliation commission modeled after South Africa's post-apartheid commission formed by Nelson Mandela.

Guinea's Conde plans truth commission on violence

In contrast, the situation in Guinea's neighbor, Ivory Coast, is sadly following that well-tred path that Lord M. describes, with its recent election resulting in both the incumbent President and the opposition leader declaring victory and taking the oath of office. The country is on the brink:

Cote d’Ivoire deadlock deepens as rivals name governments