Appellate Appearances (Was Appearance before 9th Circuit ...

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Appellate Appearances (Was Appearance before 9th Circuit ...

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

On Friday past I appeared for the first time in the Ninth Circuit of the United States Court of Appeals (the court just below the U.S. Supreme Court). The Ninth Circuit is a HUGE court with responsibility for nine Western states plus Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands. It is by far the largest of the thirteen courts of appeals, with 28 active judgeships.

Despite its (mostly undeserved) reputation for liberalism, the three-judge panel that was assigned to my case was quite conservative. The panel was led by Consuelo Maria Callahan, who was appointed by George W. Bush. Justice Callahan was widely reported as a possible successor to Justice O'Connor, and at one point was named by conservative columnist Robert Novak as one of two finalist in the original search (the other being Harriet Myers). The second member of the panel was David R. Thompson, who was appointed by President Reagan. The third member of the panel, sitting by designation, was Jeffrey T. Miller, US District Judge for Southern District of California, who was appointed to that court by President Clinton. Each of these judges worked as either city attorneys, district attorneys or in the state attorney general office.

The hearing was held at the Ninth Circuit's main courthouse in San Francisco, on the 9:00 o'clock calender. With traffic, it often can take two hours to drive from Santa Cruz to San Francisco in rush hour. And I am still not able to drive because of my recent surgery. Plus I co-taught a drum class the night before so I was not able to spend the night in SF. Fortunately, I was able to talk a young paralegal who works for the law firm where I rent my office space to drive me up there, since I knew that he would find it interesting. A friend of his came to and they picked me up at my house at 6:45 a.m. :shock: I didn't sleep much the night before, and I was pretty weary.

The fact that Judge Miller was sitting by designation is an indication of how overloaded the Ninth Circuit is. The original decision that I was appealing in my case that was heard on Friday was made back in April of 2004, and the briefing for the appeal was completed in December of that year. It took almost a year and a half for the court to put it on the calender for oral argument.

In the case, I allege that my client's right to be free from an unreasonable search or seizure under the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution was violated when he was detained and then arrested by two Santa Cruz police officers in the early morning hours of January 8, 2002, for allegedly being under the influence of a controlled substance, a charge that the officers themselves eventually concluded was not true. The case was dismissed on a motion for summary judgment by the District Court Judge (Judge Ware, who some of you may recall, ruled recently in the dispute between Google and the Bush administration). Judge Ware found that based on the undisputed facts, a reasonable jury could not find that my client's constitutional rights were violated.

I won't get into all the issues, but my primary argument is that the objective evidence that the officers had did not justify their finding that they had probable cause to arrest my client. The arrest was made by a rookie cop who was being trained by a training officer. The officers testified that they had no discussions about arresting my client before the arrest was actually made. To back up a second, the reason my client was out on street corner in the early morning hours was because he had just broken up with his girlfriend, and he was supposed to be going to the airport. A friend was supposed to pick him up and bring him to the airport, and rather then waiting around at his now ex-girlfriend's. When the officers stopped at the gas station where he was waiting, he approached them and explained this to them. Nonetheless, one of the factors that they relied on was that he "appeared agitated". They refused to check up on his story because "criminals will lie to officers". The rookie officer skipped the first 3 tests of the "7 step drug abuse recognition program that Santa Cruz police officers are supposed to use. He found that my client's pulse was "slightly elevated" and that he was "slightly perspiring" (this was because he had run part of the way to the corner to try to warm up on a cold night).

Now we come to the critical issue. The rookie officer measured my client's pupils to be 7.5 mm. According to the police guidelines, up to 6.5 is normal. The one test that the training officer did to confirm the arrest was to measure the pupils. He measured them at 6.5. The defendant's own expert witness testified that 6.5 was normal for dark conditions, but that it wasn't normal here because this was in a well lit street corner. However, the officers themselves testified that they they did the measuring in "near darkness!" So according to their own expert, the more experienced officer's finding showed that my client's pupils were normal! Moreover, after arresting him, rather then bringing him straight to the jail, they brought him to the hospital (parading him in handcuffs through the emergency room) so that they could give him a blood test. They then measured his pupils again in controlled lighting. The rookie now measured the pupils to be 6.5. The training officer, however, measured them at 4.5. This was only 20 minutes later, not enough time for a significant change. They then decided they better release him and refused to give him the blood test. He then stayed at the hospital and paid for the blood test himself. It showed, of course, that he was not under the influence at all.

The judges peppered me with questions pretty good, particularly Justice Callahan and Judge Miller. I must say I was particularly impressed with Justice Callahan. There is a 20 minute limit for each side, and was not expecting to go that long. As it turns out, I went over by at least two minutes. It is quite rare that they will allow that. I doubt the attorney for the city and officers spoke for even 10 minutes. The judges seemed pretty skeptical of my position, and while I felt that I did a good job (and fortunately my client, who was there with his mother and sister, thought so too) I was not very optimistic at the end. But in thinking about it some afterwards, I am somewhat more optimistic. The fact that they let me go over may be an encouraging sign. It certainly shows that they were not just rejecting my position out of hand. We will see. It could be anywhere between a month and six months before I get a decision.

In any event, it was definitely a worthwhile experience. I felt that I held my own with some pretty exalted jurists and that was a good feeling. I was somewhat nervous before hand, but was we started I was completely "in the zone".
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That is beyond cool! 8)

Thank you for sharing that experience with us, Voronwë! Needless to say, it's not one the rest of us are ever likely to have.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Wow. That was an amazing post, Voronwë. Good work.
Dig deeper.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Very cool, Voronwë.

What are the stakes for your client? Is the idea to expunge the arrest from his record? Or would he then be in a position to sue the city for false arrest?

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Voronwë the Faithful

This is the suit for the false arrest. 8) 8)

Sorry, I should have made that clearer. This is a civil suit alleging violation of the Fourth Amendment under the federal civil rights statute 29 U.S.C. § 1983.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

:horse:

:love:

:hug:

:drummer:

'nuff sed. :halo:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Thanks for sharing that with us, Voronwë!
Voronwë the Faithful

The seven step DAR (Drug Abuse Recognition) program that I mentioned are the FST (for those who don't know the jargon, that is Field Sobriety Tests). You will recall that I mentioned that part of my argument was that the rookie officer simply skipped the first three steps, including the important Horizontal and Vertical Gaze Nystagmus tests, which he wasn't "comfortable" with doing. He did ask my client to touch his nose and count backwards from 30, and there was conflicting testimony on the results of that test, but on a motion for summary judgment, of course, any disputes must be resolved in favor of the opposing party. So they only objective evidence that they could point to was the pupilometer readings, and the pulse rate. (It was a stimulant that they allegedly suspected that my client was under the influence of.)

Checking up on his story would have involved, first of all, questioning him further about it. Secondly, they could have contacted his girlfriend and/or his friend that was coming to pick him up to verify his story. But no, it is not common for law enforcement officials to "check up" on a suspect's story. Case law suggests that they have a duty to do so only if there are witnesses on the scene that could provide exculpatory information. Frankly, I'm not a very solid ground on this point. But fortunately, in this case it really goes more to the issue of whether they had reasonable suspicion to detain my client in the first place, rather then the more important issue of whether they had probable cause to actually arrest him.
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Good for you, Voronwë! :cheerleader:

I'm proud to know you.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

So. The only evidence that they had at the time of arrest was:

1. He "appeared agitated" (entirely subjective)
2. He had an elevated pulse rate (could the man have been nervous, being questioned so closely by police?)
3. He was "perspiring lightly" (entirely understandable, if he had just been running)
and
4. The results of a measure of pupil-dilation test, a test which has a appalling lack of repeatability, btw. My toes are curling reading about the results of those two cops' "tests" on your client. No laboratorian on the face of this green earth would accept as valid a test result that showed a difference of 30-40% in successive reads. That is, statistically speaking, no more a legitimate determination of a fixed data point (how big his pupils were at that particular moment) than simply guessing would be. Might as well invest in a dart board if you're gonna just take shots at the goal, folks...
Judge Ware found that based on the undisputed facts, a reasonable jury could not find that my client's constitutional rights were violated.
Judge Ware is wrong. If I were on that jury, I would argue that there wasn't a single objective fact even up for consideration. We're not talking about disputing facts, here... what we're talking about is a complete and utter lack of facts. Facts should be objective, shouldn't they? Those officers had nothing but their opinions on board when they took that guy to the ER.

BTW, good for him for getting that substance test done anyway! I think I like this guy... :)

As for YOU, Mr. Attorney, you go get 'em!

"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Anthy, that's pretty much exactly what my police practices expert witness said. I should mention that my expert is one of the leading police practices experts in the country. He was a police officer for 29 years, the last eleven as chief of police for Bellevue, Washington, and has testified in literally hundreds of cases across the country (including dozens in California). He opined that the officers had neither reasonable suspicion to detain my client in the first place, nor probable cause to arrest him. He further opined that this appeared to be a training exercise, not a legitimate arrest. Yet despite his extensive experience and detailed explanation of how and why he reached these opinions, Judge Ware found that his testimony was "irrelevant".
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Judge Ware strikes me as not a very logical thinker. :)
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, of course, you are only getting my side of the story. :P
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Well, with data like that, how many sides do I need to hear?

The guy was arrested based on four observances by two cops, and they don't even agree on the one "objective" fact they did have. One of those cops was so new he didn't give tests because he "wasn't comfortable" with them. That's not comforting to me, somehow. He sure was "comfortable" arresting the guy without lots of facts behind him, wasn't he, though?

I'll bet he wouldn't act the same way given the same set of circumstances today. Not that he'd ever admit it.... :)
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

If ever I get arrested in the US and I need an attorney ... :halo:

... I know who I'm calling!

:clap:

:drummer:
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Wow, that's so cool! 8) Thanks for sharing, Voronwë! That must be so exciting!

And, yep, I'd ask for Voronwë for an attorney and Anthy in the Jury! Your conclusions sounded spot-on, Anthy! :D

So - the guy is now suing the city? What can he get if he wins? Is it about damages?
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Voronwë, that's very cool indeed! Congrats on what seems to me a VERY well thought out case. Considering that the most courtroom exposure I've ever had is playing a lawyer in a mock trial competition, it's amazing to hear from someone who has argued a case just about as far up as is possible to go. :) 8)
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - HDT
Voronwë the Faithful

truehobbit wrote:So - the guy is now suing the city? What can he get if he wins? Is it about damages?
Yes, the case that I am handling is the suit against the city, and the officers themselves. And yes, if he wins he will be awarded damages. And his attorney will be award reasonable attorney's fees. 8) Otherwise, I'll never see a cent for the many hundreds of hours that I have spent on the case. And, of course, that will only happen if we win the appeal first.

If you guys got arrested in the states, you'd need to hire a criminal attorney, which is not what I do. :) You'd only hire me if you wanted to sue someone about it. 8)
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Thanks for the info! :)

I'd definitely sue anyone who arrested me! *insert smiley of righteous indignation* :D

In fact, though, I think it's very strange the guy is suing the city for damages for false arrest! I think that would be quite unheard of here.
Also, they let him go pretty quickly, didn't they? Or did he spend some time in prison?
How come this is such a big deal at all?
I can't even begin to imagine why he isn't just given an apology and a bit of a recompense for his inconvenience and that's it.
It makes me wonder if you could sue in such a case at all here or whether you'd get anything as damages.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
The Watcher

Post by The Watcher »

truehobbit wrote:Thanks for the info! :)

I'd definitely sue anyone who arrested me! *insert smiley of righteous indignation* :D

In fact, though, I think it's very strange the guy is suing the city for damages for false arrest! I think that would be quite unheard of here.
Also, they let him go pretty quickly, didn't they? Or did he spend some time in prison?
How come this is such a big deal at all?
I can't even begin to imagine why he isn't just given an apology and a bit of a recompense for his inconvenience and that's it.
It makes me wonder if you could sue in such a case at all here or whether you'd get anything as damages.
TH -

You would be surprised what can get you in trouble here. We have some very weird and mandatory enforced laws which would to Europeans seem ridiculous, in terms of what the "enforcement" consists of.

Needless to say, I am firmly of the belief that the client of V's in this particular case is deserving of something. Whether he will get it or not is iffy at best, but I can certainly empathize.

It IS a big deal here, given the stance that many police departments take, funneled through the county DA. An innocent person can be ground into pulp trying to prove otherwise, since no actual civic prosecutor is ever usually going to be an asset to the case of a wrongly accused civilian. They then need to go to the lengths that V's client has. Most give up long before this stage of the game.