2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: 2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Hm, let me see if I can find the source. But I think the idea was that most of the 400 mentioned by NPR weren't on the FBI's list? That is to say, they were easy to find, and the FBI didn't need to issue a bulletin asking for help.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Gotcha.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:12 pm I'm not sure what you are basing that on. My understanding is that over 400 people have currently been charged.

More Charges Expected In Investigation Into Capitol Riot
More than 400 people have been charged in connection with the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on January 6. We look at the latest on the FBI investigation and what those charged have in common.
And confirmed. Here's the FBI's list of people have publicly sought for their role in the Capitol insurrection:

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/capitol-violence

Scrolling down the page to the photo gallery reveals 711 photos of 330 individuals the FBI is seeking. Of those, 77 people's photos are stamped "arrested". So that leaves the FBI seeking some 253 people. Most of those arrested in this group of 330 are found in the first 100 to be listed (way down at the bottom of the page), but I notice that #1, #2, and #3 apparently are still at large:

Curiously, #1 is also visible in the photograph of #4, who was identified and arrested:

(Let me add a reminder that none of these four people has been convicted of wrongdoing in this matter and that legally they are presumed not guilty.)
Voronwë the Faithful

Yesterday there was news of the first guilty plea of anyone arrested as part of the insurrection. Jon Ryan Schaffer is a founding member of the Oathkeepers, and has been cooperating with prosecutors in bringing cases against ringleaders.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/fo ... uxbndlbing
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

We need a 'like' button! :thumbsup:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:03 pm Edit: Oops, I posted the filibuster stuff in the wrong thread. I'll move it there instead.

To replace it, here's a fascinating report from the New York Times with new video showing Officer Brian Sicknick being hit with bear spray on January 6.
The Washington Post reports that the D.C. medical examiner has determined that Officer Brian Sicknick died of natural causes.

Initial reports on January 6 were that he had been struck by a fire extinguisher. Later it turned out that had happened to other cops at the Capitol but not to him. As noted in the quoted post above, there is evidence that Sicknick did get a dose of bear spray in his face, but the medical examiner was unable to connect that or anything else that happened at the Capitol to Sicknick's death that evening, apparently from two strokes at the age of 42.

Obviously such things can and do happen! It's just a hell of a coincidence.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

A couple Capitol invaders also died of cardiovascular events that day. One stroke, one heart attack. Stress and excitement can do that to people.

Forty-two is really young to drop with a stroke. I wonder if he had a family history of such events.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Didn't it come out that one of the insurgents who was said to have died of a cardiac event accidentally tazered himself? That he hit his own privates appeared to be an embellishment, but I got the impression that the tazer part was accurate.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Yes, I heard that too, Frelga. Being tasered could definitely cause a 'heart attack' due to the electrical current affecting the heartbeat.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

My un-indicted co-conspirator brings all the Proud Boys to the prison yard.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

The 2020 election continues. Today, Maricopa County, Arizona is recounting its ballots. Again. Because Arizona's state board of elections, egged on by conspiracy theorists, just can't accept that Biden won. So they've hired a firm called Cyber Ninjas, whose owner himself was peddling conspiracies about Trump having actually won this past November, to conduct this new recount.

Here are updates from reporter Jef Fifield of the Arizona Republic, who signed up as an observer. She's only been able to report on breaks, and she's working from memory, because not only are observers not allowed to have cell phones, but they can't take notes either. And then as I started to write this, she said that she'd just been banned from making further updates until her six-hour shift ends. But prior to that she noted that the recount staff had been issued blue pens, even though there had previously been guidance saying that only red pens should be used because one could theoretically change a ballot using black or blue ink. I hope that's just an oversight.
Voronwë the Faithful

The recount has been paused pursuant to an order by a Maricopa County Superior Court judge.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/po ... 356009002/
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:09 pm The recount has been paused pursuant to an order by a Maricopa County Superior Court judge.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/po ... 356009002/
And even before the pause takes effect at 5 p.m., the judge also ordered that there be no blue pens on the recount floor.
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:51 pm The 2020 election continues. Today, Maricopa County, Arizona is recounting its ballots. Again. Because Arizona's state board of elections, egged on by conspiracy theorists, just can't accept that Biden won. So they've hired a firm called Cyber Ninjas, whose owner himself was peddling conspiracies about Trump having actually won this past November, to conduct this new recount.
Surely some mistake?

Egged on by anti-democrats. Or do you really think this is simply a case of misplaced faith, rather than overt machinations to overturn election results? Is it not, just, possible that those doing the egging on have no faith in the "conspiracy" theory peddle, but recognize its usefulness?

Note: I edited this post to correct the intentionally misspelled words. Please do not do that in the future - VtF
In a society built on deceit, telling truth is a seditious act
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

My apologies, Voronwë. The alternative spelling is a trope from the UK satirical news magazine, "Private Eye".
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Beorhtnoth wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:44 pm
N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:51 pm The 2020 election continues. Today, Maricopa County, Arizona is recounting its ballots. Again. Because Arizona's state board of elections, egged on by conspiracy theorists, just can't accept that Biden won. So they've hired a firm called Cyber Ninjas, whose owner himself was peddling conspiracies about Trump having actually won this past November, to conduct this new recount.
Surely some mistake?

Egged on by anti-democrats. Or do you really think this is simply a case of misplaced faith, rather than overt machinations to overturn election results? Is it not, just, possible that those doing the egging on have no faith in the "conspiracy" theory peddle, but recognize its usefulness?

Note: I edited this post to correct the intentionally misspelled words. Please do not do that in the future - VtF
The man who owns Cyber Ninjas was among those claiming that U.S. soldiers died last year in a firefight with evil CIA operatives in Germany where they recovered a secret server that hold the "real" election results that show that Donald Trump not only beat Joe Biden but that he did so with more than 400 electoral votes including those of California.

I have no way of knowing whether he believes that or not. You don't know if Jim Jones is really sincere until he drinks the Flavor-aid -- and maybe not even then.
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

I agree, and I'm impressed you cited Jim Jones without referencing Kool Aid!

As an aside, have you read Michael Meiers seminal tome, "Was Jonestown a CIA Medical Experiment? A Review of the Evidence"?

I have just picked it up from the side of my bed to ensure I got the title correct... :D
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:01 pm The man who owns Cyber Ninjas was among those claiming that U.S. soldiers died last year in a firefight with evil CIA operatives in Germany where they recovered a secret server that hold the "real" election results that show that Donald Trump not only beat Joe Biden but that he did so with more than 400 electoral votes including those of California.
Coincidentally, in that Politico article I quoted in the Covid thread for certain bizarre ideas some Ohio citizens hold about the pandemic, there was also this:
He told me he thought Trump “was going to win California, and when they called California as fast as they called it, I said, ‘Something is not right. There’s something that’s not right.’ He was sweeping everything—and then all of a sudden they stopped counting. I’m, like, ‘OK, Trump was right. He was absolutely right.’ He said, ‘They’re going to steal it.’ And they stole it. We watched ’em steal it.”
I have to say I'm impressed with an insight in the next paragraph:
He said he used to be a big-time Pittsburgh Steelers fan. Now he doesn’t watch the Steelers or any professional football because of the kneeling players, or any sports at all, he said, because of what he considers increasingly liberal and activist athletes.

I looked around, taking in the buzzy Brew Garden scene.

“This is your sports,” I said.

“This is my sports,” he said.

“Joe Biden is not my president. Donald Trump is still my president.”
But I would add this: to be a Steelers fan in greater Cleveland is to be an outcast.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

CNN
China and Russia 'weaponized' QAnon conspiracy around time of US Capitol attack, report says
The findings, which are detailed in a report produced by the Soufan Center, suggest "that foreign states are utilizing the QAnon conspiracy theory to sow societal discord and even compromise legitimate political processes," the independent non-profit group, which is focused on global security, said in a press release.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Beorhtnoth wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:12 pm As an aside, have you read Michael Meiers seminal tome, "Was Jonestown a CIA Medical Experiment? A Review of the Evidence"?

I have just picked it up from the side of my bed to ensure I got the title correct... :D
I have not. I gather that Meiers argues that the CIA was using psychotropic drugs on the residents of Jonestown and that they were behind the murder of Congressman Ryan a few days before the mass murder-suicide there. Meiers apparently also places this supposed CIA activity into a much large conspiracy theory with many other elements including the murders ten days later in San Francisco of George Moscone and Harvey Milk, respectively the mayor and member of board of supervisors, by former board of supervisors member Dan White.

Personally I think that theory sounds nuts. But since it was brought into this conversation, I'll note that just this week it was found that Fox News host Tucker Carlson described himself in a college yearbook as a member of the "Dan White Society." After graduating, Carlson attempted to join the CIA. Does that mean anything? No, just that Carlson was always a provocateur who thought very well of himself.