2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: 2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: The Wall Street Journal reports that the Proud Boys were more involved in instigating the attack than has heretofore appeared to be the case.

Stand back, and stand by.
Wow, that Wall Street Journal video is excellent (and unlike most WSJ content, it wasn't hidden behind a paywall for me). Well worth your time. They skillfully link video from throughout the day and sync it up with animated maps.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I missed the reporting seven days ago about how, during the attack on the Capitol, the Oath Keeper militia members inside the building were interacting with their supporters outside, one of whom sent this message: "All members are in the tunnels under Capitol. Seal them in turn on gas."
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

N.E. Brigand wrote:I missed the reporting seven days ago about how, during the attack on the Capitol, the Oath Keeper militia members inside the building were interacting with their supporters outside, one of whom sent this message: "All members are in the tunnels under Capitol. Seal them in turn on gas."
:shock: :shock:
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

"All members are in the tunnels under Capitol. Seal them in turn on gas."
:shock: :shock: :shock: :nono:

[resists temptation to use the sort of language not normally used on this board...]

That's the EVILEST thing I've heard so far to come out of the riots! If they don't throw the book at these people, I will have lost all faith in the U.S. courts!

And here the conservatives keep claiming the riots were no worse/not as bad as the BLM riots...
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Sunsilver wrote:

[resists temptation to use the sort of language not normally used on this board...]
Holy fucking shit! (How's that?)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Sunsilver wrote: And here the conservatives keep claiming the riots were no worse/not as bad as the BLM riots...
ANTIFA! :roll:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Sunsilver wrote:

Holy fucking shit! (How's that?)
Yup, that about get it right... :rage:

I was tempted to invoke my deity, but well, y'know - standards, Ten Commandments and all that!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't think Americans realized how close we came to democracy being overthrown in an armed insurrection. But both sides. And her emails.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

I have to admit that I poo-pooed the possibility of an armed insurrection, because I correctly judged that the formal military would not participate in such an action. While I knew that right-wing militia groups existed and that right-wing domestic terrorism was an issue, I failed to properly comprehend to what extent those forces were being directed towards the goal of an armed insurrection overturning the results of the free and fair election.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I saw The Departed in a sneak preview before it opened, and I thought it was generally hamfisted.

So it's been very disappointing to me that the film keeps proving its relevance.

As for example:

Exclusive: Proud Boys leader was ‘prolific’ informer for law enforcement (Reuters)

If you watch the Wall Street Journal video to which I linked earlier, you'll notice that in one meeting, the Proud Boys are wearing FBI hats. I thought it was just an ironic statement!

From the article: "In the Miami hearing [in 2014], a federal prosecutor, a Federal Bureau of Investigation agent and Tarrio’s own lawyer described his undercover work and said he had helped authorities prosecute more than a dozen people in various cases involving drugs, gambling and human smuggling."

Is this how the relationship between Trumpworld and the FBI in New York worked? Turn in some smaller fish and no one looks very hard at your own activities?

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I have to admit that I poo-pooed the possibility of an armed insurrection, because I correctly judged that the formal military would not participate in such an action. While I knew that right-wing militia groups existed and that right-wing domestic terrorism was an issue, I failed to properly comprehend to what extent those forces were being directed towards the goal of an armed insurrection overturning the results of the free and fair election.
And more importantly, the extent to which the Republican administration and lawmakers would go to foment violent insurrection when it became clear that they cannot retain power democratically despite all out attempts at voter suppression.

They couldn't get the military on their side, and I really hope that one wasn't a close call, but they could and did leave the Capitol undefended during a crucial vote.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote:Yikes! CNN's Andrew Kaczynski reports that newly-elected, QAnon-believing Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia "indicated support for executing prominent Democrats" on social media in 2018 and 2019.

"In one post, from January 2019, Greene liked a comment that said 'a bullet to the head would be quicker' to remove House Speaker Nancy Pelosi."

Greene also promoted a conspiracy theory that claims Hillary Clinton killed a baby and wore the baby's face as a mask.

Asked about the posts by CNN, Greene didn't deny their authenticity but sought to cast blame on her staff.
More about Congresswoman Taylor Greene: video of her, apparently in 2018, harassing Parkland school shooting survivor David Hogg on the street over his activism in favor of red flag laws.

And CNN has images of a Facebook post that she's now taken down in which she refers to Hogg as "little Hitler" and mocks his physique.

- - - - - - - - - -
Meanwhile, one of the men arrested for plotting to kidnap Michigan's governor, Gretchen Whitmer, has pleaded guilty, and says that his militia group also was developing plans to find 200 like-minded people, storm the Michigan capitol building, and hang lawmakers on live television. As for the Whitmer kidnapping plot, they talked about undertaking it in November to cause maximum chaos. This discussion happened while they were training for their plot in August, when they expected there would be "widespread civil unrest" following the election. Imagine where we'd be now if they had succeeded.

- - - - - - - - - -
And D.C. Metro police report that an officer took his own life following the attack. This is in addition to the Capitol police officer whose suicide we learned about a couple weeks ago.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A little late, but Law & Crime reports that a man has just been charged with election interference for his voter suppression activities in the 2016 U.S. election. Among other things, he sent this image to Black voters:

At least 4,900 people apparently attempted to vote by text to that number. And sure, people ought to know that you can't vote by text. But that image appears to be from the Clinton campaign.

Given that more than four years have passed, some observers wonder if the charges now mean there's a connection to the 2020 election.
Last edited by N.E. Brigand on Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm aligned with Frelga, there was a lot out there on the internet and there should have been no failure of imagination on the part of law enforcement in this matter. We came very close and Republicans giving Trump more power by dismissing his impeachment trial will fuel further violence.

Can Trump be subpoenaed to testify at his impeachment trial? (Or is it likely?)
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

RoseMorninStar wrote:Can Trump be subpoenaed to testify at his impeachment trial? (Or is it likely?)
Every word that comes out of that man's mouth is a lie. I supposed they could then punish him for perjury if he said something provably false under oath.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Maria wrote:
RoseMorninStar wrote:Can Trump be subpoenaed to testify at his impeachment trial? (Or is it likely?)
Every word that comes out of that man's mouth is a lie. I supposed they could then punish him for perjury if he said something provably false under oath.
Well, yes, but that's how they impeached Clinton.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

CNN anchor:
https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/status/1 ... 25253?s=19

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, who once called Parkland shooting a "false flag" operation, will join the Education & Labor committee
Republicans believe that someone who deals in irrational conspiracy theories and supports political assassination belongs on the Education Committee?

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

As Hilary Clinton commented, she belongs on a watch list, not in Congress.

There was a comment a few tweets down I found hilarious:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 1.54.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 1.54.53 PM.png (113.1 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

NY Times

https://twitter.com/lukebroadwater/stat ... 21353?s=19
Capitol police Union: 140 officers injured in Jan. 6 mob attack.

Officers without helmets “sustained brain injuries. One officer has two cracked ribs and two smashed spinal discs. One officer is going to lose his eye and another was stabbed with a metal fence stake”
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/27 ... g-the-riot

Voronwë the Faithful

I saw someone post this on Facebook. I've expressed my skepticism about Seth Abramson in the past, but it does sound like a big deal.

January 5 Meeting at Trump International Hotel Could Hold the Key to the January 6 Insurrection