2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Who would have thought a black man with the name Barrack Hussein Obama could have been electable? Twice?

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Whut he sed.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

His name was brought up a lot, though.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

It was. And he still won.

Harris has many of the same qualities that made Obama successful; she is young, attractive, very well-spoken, and charismatic. And she has some different qualities as a former prosecutor that I think will be helpful in this election cycle. She is also Asian-American as well as African-American. And she is a woman, which I believe in this election will be as much a strength as a liability from the perspective of electability.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I hope you are right, V. I highly dislike the electability narrative that is being used to discourage anyone not white male from running.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Yeah.... using that logic because of the last presidential election while ignoring the 2 before that seems.... convenient for white guys.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I don't doubt that Harris is a formidable candidate. I have to wonder, though, whether her message would cut through as well as the economic populist message of someone like Sanders.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sanders is an old white guy at a time when old white guys are old hat. Nominating him would sap the enthusiasm of exactly the young and/or female and/or nonwhite electorate that just turned out big-time to vote against Trump's agenda. It would not win back any of the uneducated white men who still back Trump-right-or-wrong. My two cents.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

He is an "old white guy" but was an exceptionally popular one, especially with the younger voters.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

True, but four years of Trump later those same voters may choose differently—especially if, as seems likely to me, the younger and less white alternatives are also progressives.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Damn, Sanders is 77 years old. It may be macabre to say but I'd genuinely be worried about whether he could survive long enough to finish the next term as president.
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 85. Just sayin'
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, Bill O'Reilly said Harris lost his vote, so I guess it's all over. /s

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

When I say "someone like Sanders" I don't necessarily mean "Sanders", but someone who has a similar agenda. The Democrats are already very strong among minorities and urban progressives - their challenge (and opportunity) is more in working-class voters.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Speaking of Sanders.

https://twitter.com/mgranville1/status/ ... 9477459975
BREAKING: @SenSanders like you’ve never seen him!!

Bernie and Jane on their honeymoon in Russia singing “This land is Your Land” with their Russian comrades!!

Trigger Warning: Bernie is sitting at a table shirtless in his briefs. So are most of the rest of the men...

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Not sure I'm ready to see that. . . . :er: At least at this hour.
Voronwë the Faithful

yovargas wrote:
Griffon64 wrote:
Time for some strong leadership from the middle
It should be but I doubt it ever will be.
Well Howard Schultz, former CEO of Starbucks, says he is considering an independent run for president from the middle. Would you (either of you, or anyone else looking for strong leadership from the middle) support that, even though it almost certainly is true that the result will be a much, much greater likelihood of Mr. Trump being reelected?

Here's a good article from NPR on the possibility: https://www.npr.org/2019/01/29/68953681 ... dical-idea
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I can't believe this might happen. Again. No no no no no no no. Please, God.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

A billionaire is not representative of a "middle" of anything.

I've asked this above and didn't see any answers - how do people define middle these day?

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

For me, it's not about the "middle" per say. It's about someone who can think and act outside of party ideology. About actual indepence. Someone who, for example, supported a border wall (a typically right idea) and also supported single payer health care (a typically left idea) is likely a true independent. I don't know if they would be considered "middle". The term is somewhat meaningless if you are a true independent.

And yes, I would support the running of any actual independents regardless of who it helped. Because I believe the long term damage being caused by our two party system is even greater than that being caused by Trump. Unless we can find a way to break the two party system, and somehow remake our election process, I see plenty more Trumps in our future, regardless of who wins the next election.
-The Decemberists