2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Warren actually talked last night about exactly what happened that caused her precipitous drop. She had the gall to start talking about to actually get to Medicare for all and Sanders supporters (and to some extent the Sanders campaign itself) responded by viciously attacking her.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My favorite internet comment on the subject was that Warren should say that Mexico will pay for our healthcare. Hey, it worked once.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Sanders should.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (71.11 KiB) Viewed 3727 times
I am baffled by the seemingly last-minute nationwide Sanders surge.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I'd say it's a combination of a) progressives who like Sanders' ideas now realising that he can actually win and they can openly support him without the need for tactical voting and b) bandwagon effect, or the natural tendency of the major parties to avoid contested conventions by getting behind a surging candidate (see Trump in 2016, Obama in 2008, etc).
Voronwë the Faithful

Colbert will be happy if Sanders wins.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Much better than his Warren impression I imagine.
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:Much better than his Warren impression I imagine.
:rotfl:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

538's latest forecast has "no majority" up to 52%, while Sanders winning a majority is down to 28%, and Biden back up to 18%, with a surge of good polling for South Carolina. Without Bloomberg in the race, Biden would probably still be the favorite.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Or, perhaps more accurately, without Bloomberg's gigantic pile of cash.
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:Or, perhaps more accurately, without Bloomberg's gigantic pile of cash.
Bloomberg IS a gigantic pile of cash in a trench coat.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

He'd probably be better of if instead of showing up at the debates, he just left a big pile of $100 bills on his seat.

All those hundreds of millions of dollars that he has spent has got him all of a 2% chance of winning the nomination according the 538 forecast, and I think that is high. One would think that Sanders would be last person (other than Elizabeth Warren) that he would want to win the nomination, but that is exactly what he is most likely to achieve.

Thinking about that 52% possibility of no majority. Sanders and his supporters say that he receives the most votes he should get the nomination even if he doesn't get a majority, but that doesn't really fly to me. Why should a moderate Buttigieg delegate, for instance, go to Sanders when Biden would be more in line with her candidate's positions. If there is a majority in total for a moderate candidate, should they combine for the top moderate candidate (which is still likely to be Biden)?
Voronwë the Faithful

South Carolina was called for Biden almost as soon as the polls closed.

Voronwë the Faithful

With 10 percent of the vote in, Biden has fully 55%, to less than 15% for Sanders. If the final count is anywhere near that, it could reset the race.

Or not.

It's hard to believe that just a few days ago, there was talk of Sanders being favored to win the state.

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Ten percent in and Biden has over half the votes. It’s a reverse of Nevada – this time Biden has massively outperformed his polls. He may actually do well enough to overtake Sanders in the pledged delegate count, which would be remarkable given his performances in Iowa and NH.

According to 538, Biden, Sanders and Steyer shared the white vote equally, but black voters (two-thirds of the SC Democratic electorate) went overwhelmingly for Biden.

Overall I think I’d still prefer to be Sanders than Biden. Sanders is the only candidate to have come first or second in every contest and the only one to have won a primary or caucus in more than one region of the country. But unless something big changes on Super Tuesday, this could go to the Convention. I’d been bearish on that possibility before, but it’s actually looking more likely now.

Bloomberg is probably the big loser tonight - Biden has shown himself viable, so it's not clear what pitch Bloomberg could make.
Voronwë the Faithful

The Times is predicting a final victory margin of 22%, which would be pretty significant. Hard to say how much that will affect voting on Tuesday, particularly with Bloomberg finally in the mix.

Voronwë the Faithful

Steyer is out.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Consistent to the last, at least
Screenshot_20200301-084642.jpg
Screenshot_20200301-084642.jpg (72.86 KiB) Viewed 3585 times

Voronwë the Faithful

Buttigieg is out.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Says something about the value of the Iowa caucus...

Snark aside, it was impressive and heartening to see an openly gay man make it this far. And I'm going to miss him. He was one of the few heading into Super Tuesday who is younger than my retired parents.
When you can do nothing what can you do?