The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

Post by Frelga »

Giuliani, though.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

As Chris Cillizza, CNN Editor-at-large wrote:"I expected something like this from Cohen," Giuliani said. "He's been lying all week. He's been lying for years."

Later, Giuliani added: "I don't see how he has any credibility."

The potential problem with that argument is that for those "years" that Giuliani is referring to, Cohen was one of Trump's closest advisers.
Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It may not be a legal term, and it may not fit legal criteria, but the whole Trump team are a bunch of filthy traitors. Betray the country to win at all costs. I will not be surprised if many congresspersons are fully aware of this. It would explain much of their behavior. Traitors. The lot of them.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

As Chris Cillizza, CNN Editor-at-large wrote:The potential problem with that argument is that for those "years" that Giuliani is referring to, Cohen was one of Trump's closest advisers.
Funny, the "potential problem" I see with team Trump accusing anyone at all of lying for years and having no credibility is something entirely different.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

NY Magazine

Why Does Trump Keep Lying About His Dealings With Russia?
One can see the ground already shifting in the defenses of Trump. Now his defenders deny that working cooperatively with Russians to obtain Russian dirt on Clinton amounts to collusion, or that such a thing is bad at all. “Look, I don’t think that it’s bad if campaigns are turning to foreign governments for dirt,” asserts Andrew McCarthy on Fox News, “It’s not collusion. It’s not something that’s impeachable; it’s icky, but that’s what this is.”
That sounds oddly familiar.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:NY Magazine

Why Does Trump Keep Lying About His Dealings With Russia?
One can see the ground already shifting in the defenses of Trump. Now his defenders deny that working cooperatively with Russians to obtain Russian dirt on Clinton amounts to collusion, or that such a thing is bad at all. “Look, I don’t think that it’s bad if campaigns are turning to foreign governments for dirt,” asserts Andrew McCarthy on Fox News, “It’s not collusion. It’s not something that’s impeachable; it’s icky, but that’s what this is.”
That sounds oddly familiar.
Brainwashing.
George Orwell's 'Animal Farm' made a huge impression on me when I read it in my teens. I'm seeing it play out in real life.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Trump's ex-lawyer: Giuliani hurt Trump's case by flip-flopping on Cohen

It's like Giuliani doesn't think people remember what he said just two months ago.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Rudy Giuliani: Michael Cohen Has Been Warned To Keep His Mouth Shut
President Donald Trump’s legal team has warned his former fixer, Michael Cohen, to stop speaking out and violating lawyer-client confidentiality, the president’s attorney Rudy Giuliani told ABC News Saturday.
That's witness tampering, no?

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'd call it a threat.

edited to add: Trump & Co seems to do a lot of their colluding/threats/witness tampering online via twitter/the media. Right out in the open. Manipulating media is Trump's first language. I'm glad Mueller is paying attention.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Has Cohen actually released anything that the special master ruled as privileged, though? This sounds like Giuliani's usual blather that's going to get completely contradicted 24 hours from now.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

While it's not wise or preferable, I don't think anything Cohen has said violates any privileged information.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/sta ... 9096151041
CNBC
NEW: Giuliani just moved the goal posts in 2 big ways on Fox & CNN :
1. He's no longer claiming Trump didn't collude with Russia. He's claiming "collusion is not a crime."
2. He's not saying Trump did not know abt 2016 Russia mtg in advance. He's saying Trump did not ATTEND it.

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Next: "sure, he committed treason, but not high treason."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

George Orwell's 'Animal Farm' come to life. We know who the pigs are.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

"You're assuming his supporters (in Congress and across the country) would care even if he proudly bragged to working with Putin to win the election on a national broadcast from the Oval Office."

Truth.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's called 'conditioning'. Trump is very good at it. They (his followers) have gone along with his disgusting behavior, bullying, vulgar language, lack of decorum, obnoxious tweeting.. where do they draw the line? He has conditioned them to accept the ever downward spiral lacking in good social behavior, reasoning, leadership, etc..
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

True. Although his supporters come to about 18% of American voters, according to the math that made sense at the time I saw it. Congress is THE problem, TBH, starting with their blatant refusal to secure the upcoming election in hopes that Russia fixes it for them.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yes Frelga, sad but true. They lack a spine. They lack courage and patriotism. They do not deserve their offices. They have sold their souls.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That was a tweet from The Hill
Judge in Manafort case tells lawyers to stop rolling their eyes after talking to him
I initially assumed that him was Manafort but clicking on the article revealed that him was the judge. I'm not sure which is funnier.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-bat ... eir-facial

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/ ... 2127895552
PORTSMOUTH, N.H. (AP) — President Donald Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani said the November midterm elections will be about "impeachment or no impeachment."
I'm confused. Whose side is Giuliani trying to help here?