The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Michael Cohen will be released from prison to home confinement, judge rules
"The purpose of transferring Mr. Cohen from furlough and home confinement to jail is retaliatory and its retaliatory because of his desire to exercise his first amendment rights to publish a book and discuss anything about the book or anything else he wants on social media and others," Judge Alvin Hellerstein ruled during a telephonic hearing.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

I somehow missed this last week.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/30/us/p ... court.html

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Judge rules E. Jean Carroll can continue to seek Trump's DNA in defamation suit

I'm doubtful that this will actually happen before the election, and even absolute proof that he did sexually assault Carroll probably still wouldn't move most of his supporters, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't give at least some pause to think.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Judge rules E. Jean Carroll can continue to seek Trump's DNA in defamation suit

I'm doubtful that this will actually happen before the election, and even absolute proof that he did sexually assault Carroll probably still wouldn't move most of his supporters, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't give at least some pause to think.
Literally being heard bragging about sexually assaulting women didn't give his voters pause. They celebrate his words. The only reason to think it would give anyone pause is to assume that they wouldn't approve of it, but sadly in many cases we are seeing that people *do* approve of *him* doing it.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

He can't dismiss DNA evidence as "locker-room talk".
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm sad to say, no, I doubt it will matter. Not to the Trump supporters I know. I truly believe he could shoot someone on 5th avenue and he would not loose support of his 'base' because they believe he is acting on behalf of a higher power. Don't even get me started.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:He can't dismiss DNA evidence as "locker-room talk".
He'll call it fake. Those forensic technicians are all out to get him so he loses the election. No one has better genes than he does. Etc.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, but I still think that it could penetrate a few on the edges.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

As much as I'd like to think something would open a few eyes, I think those who could be reached have already left. He's done plenty of simply horrible things. His base are willfully blind. They will say there is no evidence she was forced or she would have come forward long ago &/or had she been forced she never would have kept the dress. Sad to say.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

RoseMorninStar wrote:As much as I'd like to think something would open a few eyes, I think those who could be reached have already left. He's done plenty of simply horrible things. His base are willfully blind. They will say there is no evidence she was forced or she would have come forward long ago &/or had she been forced she never would have kept the dress. Sad to say.
Yes, the back-bending required to excuse Trump at this point is so extensive that those still able to do it have probably crumbled their vertebrae into dust.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:As much as I'd like to think something would open a few eyes, I think those who could be reached have already left. He's done plenty of simply horrible things. His base are willfully blind. They will say there is no evidence she was forced or she would have come forward long ago &/or had she been forced she never would have kept the dress. Sad to say.
Or he'll use the same excuse he used last time "Did you see her? That's one ugly *****. I wouldn't have anything to do with her." And they'll laugh and agree he couldn't POSSIBLY have raped her, she's too ugly to rape. :bang:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

If I am remembering correctly, that was E. Jean Carroll that he said that about.
elengil

Post by elengil »

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/10 ... users-ugly

I haven't kept up on the scope of it, but the one I was thinking of was
“Believe me, she would not be my first choice,” Trump said of Jessica Leeds, 74, who alleged in a bombshell New York Times story Wednesday that the real-estate billionaire had grabbed her breasts and stuck his hand up her skirt while seated next to her on a flight in the 1980s.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

Her, as well. It is a common refrain for this disgusting individual.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... se/592555/
Voronwë the Faithful

From the Foreword of Michael Cohen's upcoming book:
There are reasons why there has never been an intimate portrait of Donald Trump, the man. In part, it’s because he has a million acquaintances, pals and hangers on, but no real friends. He has no one he trusts to keep his secrets. For ten years, he certainly had me, and I was always there for him, and look what happened to me. I urge you to really consider that fact: Trump has no true friends. He has lived his entire life avoiding and evading taking responsibility for his actions. He crushed or cheated all who stood in his way, but I know where the skeletons are buried because I was the one who buried them. I was the one who most encouraged him to run for president in 2011, and then again in 2015, carefully orchestrating the famous trip down the escalator in Trump Tower for him to announce his candidacy. When Trump wanted to reach Russian President Vladimir Putin, via a secret back channel, I was tasked with making the connection in my Keystone Kop fashion. I stiffed contractors on his behalf, ripped off his business partners, lied to his wife Melania to hide his sexual infidelities, and bullied and screamed at anyone who threatened Trump’s path to power. From golden showers in a sex club in Vegas, to tax fraud, to deals with corrupt officials from the former Soviet Union, to catch and kill conspiracies to silence Trump’s clandestine lovers, I wasn’t just a witness to the president’s rise—I was an active and eager participant.
DISLOYAL, THE FOREWORD: THE REAL REAL DONALD TRUMP
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'll need a few years' of distance before I could read that. The weight of everything already feels so heavy and insupportable that I can't face an additional burden of Trump's ethical and legal crimes and misdemeanours spelled out.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful

I understand Impy. But hopefully there will be some people voting in November that read it.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Holy ****!! Wow!

Not surprised to find your link no longer works, Voronwë.
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:From the Foreword of Michael Cohen's upcoming book:
There are reasons why there has never been an intimate portrait of Donald Trump, the man. In part, it’s because he has a million acquaintances, pals and hangers on, but no real friends. He has no one he trusts to keep his secrets. For ten years, he certainly had me, and I was always there for him, and look what happened to me. I urge you to really consider that fact: Trump has no true friends. He has lived his entire life avoiding and evading taking responsibility for his actions. He crushed or cheated all who stood in his way, but I know where the skeletons are buried because I was the one who buried them. I was the one who most encouraged him to run for president in 2011, and then again in 2015, carefully orchestrating the famous trip down the escalator in Trump Tower for him to announce his candidacy. When Trump wanted to reach Russian President Vladimir Putin, via a secret back channel, I was tasked with making the connection in my Keystone Kop fashion. I stiffed contractors on his behalf, ripped off his business partners, lied to his wife Melania to hide his sexual infidelities, and bullied and screamed at anyone who threatened Trump’s path to power. From golden showers in a sex club in Vegas, to tax fraud, to deals with corrupt officials from the former Soviet Union, to catch and kill conspiracies to silence Trump’s clandestine lovers, I wasn’t just a witness to the president’s rise—I was an active and eager participant.
DISLOYAL, THE FOREWORD: THE REAL REAL DONALD TRUMP
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

Not sure why you say that. The page is still active.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I already read it yesterday, but it looks like its being hit with DDOS attack
Error 1020 Ray ID: 5c347e259c4de5f0 • 2020-08-15 17:04:06 UTC
Access denied
What happened?
This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks.

Cloudflare Ray ID: 5c347e259c4de5f0 • Your IP: 2001:bb6:2b6b:a858:f885:e64b:58a0:ab38 • Performance & security by Cloudflare
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End