It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:00 pm 
Aagragaah

I'm putin this here instead of the Serious Business thread because I'm not sure if it has any serious implications. Just, more whiskey.

Putin's Daughter Is Linked To Wilbur Ross — Another Trump-Russia Connection?

Quote:
Reuters

President Donald Trump's Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross is doing business with Russian President Vladimir Putin's son-in-law, a bombshell new report revealed Tuesday.

‘No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts.’
Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:47 pm 
Feeling grateful

"I'm putin this here"

Just acknowledging that I caught this. Well played.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:09 pm 
not something I would recommend

Pocahontas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:45 pm 

I think that Christmas decoration is pretty awesome. I get why people find it creepy but I think it's really fun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:46 pm 
Aagragaah

In front of Jackson's portrait.

‘No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts.’

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:49 pm 

Welcome to non sequitur theatre.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:13 pm 
Living in hope

I think that corridor of branches is some pretty amazing set decoration, and really imaginative. It's just that the brooding, lit-from-below, sinister feeling is not (and I do feel fortunate to be able to say this) what I associate with Christmas, exactly.

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:02 pm 
Aagragaah

PB, I think it would be amazing for Halloween.
Faramond wrote:
Welcome to non sequitur theatre.

As reported by the NPR (and every other news outlet except Fox)

Trump Brings Up 'Pocahontas' At Event Honoring Navajo Code Talkers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:46 pm 

I love it when liberals explain the news to me like I'm an ignorant man-cave dweller. It should have a name -- progsplaining, maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:04 pm 
Lán de Grás

I'm just impressed that an American could spell "theatre" :P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:28 pm 
Aagragaah

Faramond wrote:
I love it when liberals explain the news to me like I'm an ignorant man-cave dweller. It should have a name -- progsplaining, maybe?

Then what was the non-sequitur comment about? I was surprised that the poster who complained about an echo chamber seemed unaware of a widely reported news item and didn't want you to feel left out.

Also, I don't think "liberal" means what you think it means.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:47 pm 
Hobbit

The non sequitur comment was after yours, Frelga. The one about a portrait.
I didn't follow that jump, either.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:19 pm 

This is great -- a classic Lasto kerfuffle where everything is taken way too seriously. I'm talking about me. I'm taking it way too seriously.

I guess I was amused at yov's post, which was just one word, kind of out-of-nowhere, though I do understand how it connects to the thread. And then Frelga's post, which I think was meant to come right after yov's, but after mine it is sort of out of place, if you're not paying super-close attention. I thought it was funny. No one did anything wrong, obviously. Except me, for taking things too seriously, but wait, that's what you're supposed to do here, so kudos to me, I guess?

In what way do I not know what *liberal* means? I'll grant these can be slippery terms, hard to pin down sometimes but -- I don't think I used it incorrectly given what I know of your posting history.

I think this Pocahontas story is interesting for how -- well -- mundane it is. I mean mundane in context. The context of the Trump presidency. He's called Warren "Pocahontas" more than twenty times, right? He regularly calls people by insulting nicknames. He regularly says things that are either borderline or outright racist depending on how you want to draw the line. To me this story was kind of a non-story, because of how commonplace it really is with Trump. Which is really sad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:22 pm 
Aagragaah

Maria wrote:
The non sequitur comment was after yours, Frelga. The one about a portrait.
I didn't follow that jump, either.

It was a reference to this, from the linked article:

Quote:
The Oval Office event also took place in front of a portrait of former President Andrew Jackson — who ordered the forced removal of thousands of Native Americans from the Southeast to the West, known as the "Trail of Tears." More than 4,000 Cherokee people died during the migration.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:43 pm 
Aagragaah

So apparently I cross-posted with Faramond twice. FWIW, my first response was honestly because I was not sure if you saw the news, and because I didn't see your post, which is the whole other level of oddness.

Good thing we are such mature, sensible individuals. :D

Also, I'm not sure "liberal" or "conservative" means anything at all when applied to the US politics.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:41 pm 
Happy as a clam at high tide (when reading)

Frelga wrote:
So apparently I cross-posted with Faramond twice. FWIW, my first response was honestly because I was not sure if you saw the news, and because I didn't see your post, which is the whole other level of oddness.

Good thing we are such mature, sensible individuals. :D.

Uzziden?

Trouble began, and not for the first time, with an apple. (Terry Pratchett)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:07 pm 
Wrong within normal parameters

I think this thread has had too much whisky.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:27 am 
Aagragaah

The Society of Vertebrate Paleontology is suing the President of the United States.

The suit is an attempt to block cuts to Grand Staircase-Escalante & Bears Ears National Monuments. They claim that the President lacks the legal authority to order the cuts.

http://vertpaleo.org/Society-News/SVP-P ... ional.aspx

This is going to be someone's supervillain origin story, as an enraged paleontologist brings dinosaurs to life and rides a T.Rex into the battle.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:01 pm 
Aagragaah

That this is not the Onion is bad enough but that this is from FOX News just puts the whole thing over the top.

An actual headline and tweet

Quote:
Man who 'saved' rabbit from wildfire probably made things worse https://t.co/nyFL9Gzsbn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:51 pm 
Hobbit

Starving baby rabbits isn't a pleasant image, though.