Escaping the Echo Chamber

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Escaping the Echo Chamber

Post by Frelga »

Alatar wrote:I think unless you're Brangelina, the lesser famous will always be referred to by their relation to the more famous. Even in famous power couples you'll hear things like "Pamela Stephenson, Comedienne and wife of Billy Connolly" or "David Beckham, retired footballer and husband of style icon and musician Victoria Beckham". People like to connect the dots. But that's no excuse for the case above where her name isn't even mentioned.
Right. If both parties are named, and one is explained in relation to the other, it makes sense. (Miranda Lambert snaps over question about new husband Brendan McLoughlin). I also found headlines where neither party was named (COUNCILMEMBER SAYS SHE WAS ASSAULTED BY RALEIGH MAYOR'S HUSBAND) which also makes sense, I guess.

Also, "Police: Intoxicated woman backs into husband, then kicks him" which I only clicked on because it was in Kokomo Tribune and goes to show that you CAN'T get away from it all.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I think the best way to have put it would have been, 'Stephen and Tabitha King' (if her name is indeed King). The fact of his celebrity is irrelevant here; the donation would have been just as noteworthy if made by unknowns, and it was made by both parties, so both should have been named equally.

However, if the report concerned their appearance at a celebrity event, I think 'Stephen King and his wife' would have been more acceptable (if not entirely polite). And the same if the celebrity were a woman with a non-public male companion. Yes, those people have names, but their names are irrelevant in this context; they are only referred to because they are accompanying a public person, and so the relevant information is their relationship to that celebrity.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

This may work here.

Israel Faloa, an Australian International Rugby player, has had his contract terminated for tweeting homophbic images. The post contains an image which says that “hell awaits” drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolators. The image also states that “only Jesus saves”.

Faloa had already been warned about posting "hate speech", but he believes that even if he has to forgo his career, he can't go against his religious beliefs.

So, Religious Freedom vs Hate Speech?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

If that was the entirety of his post then you may be surprised to hear that I do not agree with that decision, nor with calling it hate speech.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

It's possible the quote comes directly from scripture, which I guess would make it more clearly a case of freedom of religious expression than it would be otherwise.

I wonder if the Bible will be banned in my lifetime.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Is harming other people because you think your god wants you to different from harming people for any other reason? If so, to what extent?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

It isn't religious freedom vs. hate speech. He has his freedom of religion, he has his freedom of speech. What he doesn't have is an employer who is willing to keep him employed.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Actually, I'm pretty sure employers cannot fire you for expressing a religious belief, at least in the US. V-man could speak more to how that might apply in this particular case.
Last edited by yovargas on Tue May 21, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

cue xkcd comic:

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

yovargas wrote:Actually, I'm pretty sure employers cannot fire you for expressing a religious belief, at least in the US. V-man could speak more to how that might apply in this particular case.
You can't be fired for practicing a particular religion, and your religious beliefs need to be reasonably accommodated (e.g., allowing a Muslim woman to wear a headscarf, or allowing an Orthodox Jew to not work on the Sabbath). But I doubt that posting something that would be considered hate speech would be considered practicing a particular religion. You don't have to post those images in order to practice your religion.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Do you think the law would allow firing someone for openly sharing their general religious beliefs? For example, I grew up a Seventh day Adventist. Would an employer get in trouble if they fired me because they didn't like my "Saturday is the Sabbath!" Twitter post?
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:Do you think the law would allow firing someone for openly sharing their general religious beliefs? For example, I grew up a Seventh day Adventist. Would an employer get in trouble if they fired me because they didn't like my "Saturday is the Sabbath!" Twitter post?
Yes, IMO they would.

But then I also think there is a rather large difference between saying "Saturday is the Sabbath" and "Sunday Worshipers are going to hell!"
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

elengil wrote:
But then I also think there is a rather large difference between saying "Saturday is the Sabbath" and "Sunday Worshipers are going to hell!"
A large legal difference or a moral one? I could understand the latter (though I personally think it's frankly silly), but I can't see how there could be a legal difference.
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

"Sunday Worshippers are Going to Hell!" comes off as threatening. So, depending on the verse, does putting a Bible verse on top of a picture of burning stuff. And it's generally considered impolite to offer unsolicited advice, especially about personal things like belief systems and death. In the US at least, "Go to hell" is one of those phrases that falls in the same category as "Go **** yourself". Unless you and the target know each other quite well and understand where the boundaries between play and injury are, it's an incredibly nasty thing to say to someone.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:Do you think the law would allow firing someone for openly sharing their general religious beliefs? For example, I grew up a Seventh day Adventist. Would an employer get in trouble if they fired me because they didn't like my "Saturday is the Sabbath!" Twitter post?
According to the training I recently got, your employer is supposed to accommodate your religious practices to the extent that it does not interfere with your performance. So if you asked to not be scheduled to work on Saturday because it's your Sabbath and offered to work Sundays instead, that should not be a problem. In reality, it well might be, if they need full staff on Saturdays (or if they are using that as a pretext for religious discrimination) but that's a different issue.

If you said that Saturday is the Sabbath and everyone who works on Saturday is going to hell, and your employer is evil for being open on Saturdays, you might be considered creating a hostile work environment, and they would have a much stronger case for firing you.

TL;DR practicing your religion in your private life is usually OK. Forcing other people to practice your religion with insults and threats is a long way from OK.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yes, what River and Frelga said is correct.

The trickier issue would arise if you were an employee of a bakery and refused to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding because of religious reasons. Then the question would be whether accommodating the employees religious beliefs would cause the employer an undue hardship. If there were not other employees available who could easily handle that assignment, it probably would not be considered a reasonable accommodation.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

None of that really addresses the question of whether legally someone can fire you for expressing a religious belief that they did not like.
-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It is also very much worth noting that the tweet in question is basically just a quote from the Bible. If quoting the Bible is considered "hate speech", then we have some serious problems.
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If he quoted Tolkien justifying his racist views, would that be different?

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Tolkien didn't found a religion with a few billion members.
-The Decemberists