Escaping the Echo Chamber

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Escaping the Echo Chamber

Post by Alatar »

elengil wrote: Alatar,
It occurs to me your approach comes across as the little middle-ground guy who just wants to be able to tell jokes that were told for years without being told why they may hurt people, but is being ground into the dirt by the heel of the Great Liberal Machine that is grinding over the top of all those good-hearted tell-it-like-it-is down-to-earth folk who just want to live their lives.
First of all, I don't want to tell jokes at all, let alone hurtful ones. What I am questioning is not the right to tell harmful jokes (which is why I consider this a strawman Prim). I am questioning whether some of the jokes being categorised as harmful actually are. As I have stated before, it is very often the far left who believe they are the arbiters of this, not the supposedly marginalised. In case my post above wasn't clear I'll post it here again for the benefit of Prim, River and anyone else who insists on misinterpreting my position:

1. I believe in treating people with respect and common courtesy
2. I believe in using language, policies or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society.
3. I believe that many of these current issues are excessive and unwarranted
4. I don't have a precise definition of where I believe the line between common courtesy end excessive political correctness lies, but I have a gut feeling for when its been crossed that may be different to yours.
5. I strongly believe that comedy is one of the most important bastions of free speech and should be protected as such
6. I know that we are not being politically censored, but the upshot is the same for a comic who can't get a gig because s/he has been blacklisted.
7. I believe that the massive swing to extremes is just as prevalent on the left as the right, and both sides seem to think they're actually the moderates.

Nowhere do I state that we should promote harmful jokes. Please stop attributing beliefs to me that I do not hold. I do believe in free speech, and in the right to protest. What I'm saying is that if we start censoring* comedy, which by its nature often uses tools such as hyperbole and shock values to make observations, we lose a fundamental aspect of critical thinking. When John Stewart or Trevor Noah or SNL use hyperbole and shock value to make gags about Trump and co, that's accepted as valuable political commentary. When Joan Rivers cracked jokes about maids heading to Mexico for abortions in the 70's it was considered shocking and in terrible taste, but it highlighted a political issue in a way that 100 political speeches could never achieve.

*To save me typing this every time. Please read "censorship" in the sense of suppression of free speech through market forces, rather than throwing someone in jail. They're both censorship.

elengil wrote: It is a very interesting dichotomy you project in your replies, whether you intend to do so or not. You speak of Liberals as if they are a single conglomerate force, rather than simply the sum of individuals who strongly feel that that kind of 'jovial harm' that people think is harmless is nothing of the sort. They have a voice now whereas they didn't before. As has been stated already, these things were always harmful, but it is only recently that those being harmed had the voice to state it without themselves coming to physical harm or death.

You never treat Conservatives or the far Right as the same kind of singular group that you box the Left into.
I think you'll find that I do. :) I find the extreme right and extreme left of American politics equally disturbing, particularly because the lack of a willingness to accept common ground is widening the gap further every day.

The real irony here is that once again "Escaping the Echo Chamber" becomes an echo chamber of groupthink telling the poor deluded Irishman that he's just either not smart, not moral or not educated enough to hold a different opinion to the majority here. I thought we were better than that.

Its ok Yov, I'm going nowhere, although discussions like this do feel like an exercise in futility most of the time. ETA: I'm in London for the next few days with limited Internet, so I'm not flouncing off.
Although I do a pretty good flounce... :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

What I find interesting is that I strongly suspect that, faced with any specific, tangible example, Al would probably agree with the others in this discussion on whether 'that' example were acceptable or not.

I tend to agree with Alatar on the whole, at least on this issue. Sometimes I have disagreed with protests against particular speech because it seems almost that the argument is based on ideological/political incongruence mixed with a little conceit that "I'm more progressive than you are", rather than on the substance.

I am of the view that speech that is hate-fueled or that promotes embedded social injustice and discrimination has no place in civil society; but I don't believe you can draw a definitive line and declare blanket good or bad. Language is too nuanced, and all of us have filters. What a person intends to say does not always come out true to intention, and is rarely precisely the same as what the recipient hears.

Having said that, if your intention is pure but the person you're speaking with tells you, by demeanour or by word, that your words were not received as you intended, then the civilised response is to apologise and try not to do it again.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Alatar wrote:The real irony here is that once again "Escaping the Echo Chamber" becomes an echo chamber of groupthink telling the poor deluded Irishman that he's just either not smart, not moral or not educated enough to hold a different opinion to the majority here.
Who in the world said anything at all like that??? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

I will say that your last post was very helpful in clarifying your stance. It did sound like you were saying that people should have the "right" (or whatever you want to call it) to say harmful things and for people to just have to take it. I understand now that instead you are asking whether or not some of this stuff is actually harmful. That's a good question and a good conversation to have!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Alatar, I was not intending to frame you as the comedian in my post, I was trying to express how I was receiving your posts regarding comedians vs. "Liberals".

I was not intending to accuse you of being callously 'okay' with harming people, I was saying that the stances you take seem to balance on the side of those doing harm not being censored (we've already disagreed over your definition of this elsewhere) vs. the side of those who speak up to say it is harmful. You seem to rather want to avoid censorship per your definition even if at the possible cost of harm to others.

I do agree some individuals seem to forgo nuance or even seemingly rationale when they decide what they will speak out against or not. I absolutely do not always agree with what the latest outrage is. But then, I have never taken the stance that you ascribe to me - I am not about 'extreme political correctness', I am against the claim that because the force of the collective social views has shifted from being almost solely held by one specific and powerful group (basically, the straight christian white able-bodied, well-off male american) to the exclusion and incredible harm to all others is in any way harming that group for no longer being in sole and total control.

Society is going to shift. It has always happened. What is considered acceptable is always changing. This is not new, this is not a Liberal failing, this is not the downfall of society. It is not about it happening through some unified conglomerate force, it is about the sum total of individual views being more closely aligned in one direction than another. Individuals. That is all it is. Not "group think".

Yes, satire, political commentary as comedy - these are very important tools for a society and the minute they begin to be threatened - as they are currently by the right! - that is a dangerous time. And the truly sad thing is I don't find the SNL skits funny because they are simply rehashing what he's actually said and done! They can't even make up a more extreme version to make fun of! The difference is I see absolutely no harm being able to be done to people like Trump outside of their own weak inability to accept anything less than worshipful praise. Trump is the president of the US - he has more power in this country than any other individual, his views, prejudices, and whims can harm a great deal of people from one moment to the next. Satirizing him is in no way on the same level of getting up on stage and mocking rape victims and school shootings and then crying when the majority of people decide you aren't funny and no one wants to host your shows.

What you see as a swing between extremes, a massive swing from right to left, I see a massive swing from extreme right towards center, which to the extreme right would look like the extreme left. By Extreme Right I mean that segment of society which would be just fine going back 50 years to segregation, lynching, legal discrimination, etc. The pendulum swings slowly, and it is nowhere near to approaching an extreme left counter to that. It is still to the right, IMO, and only inching towards center.

What I absolutely do not see in this thread is anyone at all ganging up on you, or you being Irish having any influence at all in any individual's views here. What we are all doing, you included, is giving our individual views on any given subject. These views do not always agree evenly between sides, but that does not make this "Echo Chamber Vs. Alatar", or any kind of group think problem if some of us share more closely our views.

What I have continually observed is you insisting your view is center and mine is extreme. You insist what my position is, when I say it is not. I attempted to lay out in a logical series of steps why I felt this was not the case. I still am not sure what your exact reasoning is for continuing to claim mine is the extreme.

In all this, I have tried my best to always say this was my impression of your position, or this is how you are coming across to me - I am trying to to directly ascribe any motivation to you because I do know that there can often be a very wide gulf between what one intended to say and what someone else understood by it. I may not always have been successful in this but I have tried. I don't state this just to try to distance myself from my comments but to say I am laying out what I am understanding and looking for your correction where I am mistaken, I am not trying to pile assumptions on you.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Any reaction to the Gilette ad on the other side of the pond?

Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

To be honest, I haven't watched it yet, and I haven't read any of the reaction to it yet.

I will, but right now I feel like I cannot possibly read another sentence that would make me mad. And If I watch it and read all the reaction to it, I will read something that makes me mad for sure. :P
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

For sure :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think it is great. I'm pretty sure not everyone agrees with me.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I find it very crass for a corporation to preach at me in order to sell me something, even when I agree with the message.
Voronwë the Faithful

More crass than the usual advertising fare? I don't see it as "preaching" at all; I see it as exactly what it says it is: a call to be as good as we should be. I'd much rather see that the crass subliminal messages and blatant pandering to the worst that we can be that you see in most advertising.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Dave_LF wrote:I find it very crass for a corporation to preach at me in order to sell me something, even when I agree with the message.
I guess I kinda get being cynical about corporations, but it feels weird to me to say "hey, corporations, stop trying to spread positive messages!"

I found the ad thoughtful, self-reflective, smart. The tone is really nicely balanced to feel more aspirational than condemnatory or "preachy". It's really good, imo.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

If someone's going to be crass, I want them to own it; not come to me dressed in priest's robes. That's the one good thing I can say about Donald Trump.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Dave_LF wrote:If someone's going to be crass, I want them to own it; not come to me dressed in priest's robes. That's the one good thing I can say about Donald Trump.
I keep meaning to start a "what do you like about President Trump?" thread as a successor to the ill-fated "President Bush's good qualities" thread. This might make me do it.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I never understood the sentiment of "he is an asshole but at least he is open about it." How's that a good thing? If an individual is forced by social forces to at least pretend to have manners, some of it may even stick.

I didn't see the ad, but I don't expect to be surprised.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

yovargas wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:I find it very crass for a corporation to preach at me in order to sell me something, even when I agree with the message.
I guess I kinda get being cynical about corporations, but it feels weird to me to say "hey, corporations, stop trying to spread positive messages!"

I found the ad thoughtful, self-reflective, smart. The tone is really nicely balanced to feel more aspirational than condemnatory or "preachy". It's really good, imo.
I'm just glad to see this message out there and drawing attention. Even the backlash—at least on Twitter, the men reacting with anger aren't doing their position any good.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I don't condone being a horrible human being, but I will at least acknowledge if a person is a horrible human being and they at least act like it, it's far easier to identify and avoid them in life (generally speaking, if not applicable to specific individuals.)

In a way it is worse to be a horrible human being wrapped in a socially acceptable shell, because those are the kinds of people who weasel their way into polite society, until even if they are accused of something, no one believes could do "such an awful thing" and they to get away with it a lot longer.

To be clear, both are horrible human beings, but the ones easier to identify are easier to avoid.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Good point, elengil.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

This is my problem: The Gillette corporation does not care about helping you become a better man; the Gillette corporation cares about selling you razor blades. If they've put out an ad suggesting otherwise, it's only because someone sat down in a boardroom and calculated that doing so would help the company get the attention they need to more effectively separate you from your money. If the calculation works out differently tomorrow, they'll change their tune. Even if they are "saying the right thing" for the moment, their motivations are base and untrustworthy.

These are not the entities we should be looking to for guidance, and it's... dangerous? tragic? fitting? that the the adman has literally become our society's moral authority.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

But we're not looking to them for guidance. And no one's forced to watch the ad; I believe it's online only. Sure, it's intended to make us like the company, and it's the result of recent social changes, but I think it's a positive message, and they didn't have to do it. They are getting backlash for it, too, in some of the nastier parts of the Internet.
Voronwë the Faithful

Frankly, I can't understand why someone would not rather see a positive message such as that than the usual blatant objectification of women that most crass advertising relies on.