It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:16 pm 
Meanwhile...

If my synagogue is the next one to be shot up or blown up with the rhetoric quoted verbatim from the President and the GOP leadership, I will make it my afterlife mission to haunt anyone who did not vote Democrat in 2016. And I won't be a friendly ghost.

“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”

- Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:43 am 
Meanwhile...

Read the whole thread, as an act of remembrance if nothing else.

https://twitter.com/andreapitzer/status ... 8956317696

Quote:
You might know that today is the 80th anniversary of Kristallnacht, when vast state-endorsed terror against German and Austrian Jews was unleashed. I want to mention a few facts about the events of Kristallnacht that aren't very well remembered by the general public.

“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:21 am 

:cry: Man's inhumanity to man (and woman). It's awful to see the rise in hate. It's awful to watch the leader of this country encourage lies, misinformation, hate, bigotry, racism, and all sorts of other 'isms'. It's painful to see how easily people are swayed by propaganda that they cannot or chose not to see, especially people you thought you knew well. It's heartbreaking. Church, synagogue, mosque, school, concert, bar.. wherever, it's got to stop.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:36 am 
Meanwhile...

NPR
Quote:
James Alex Fields Jr., the man who drove his car through a crowd of counterprotestors at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, was found guilty of killing Heather Heyer and injuring dozens of others. https://t.co/na5f1K2IDc

First degree murder, aggravated malicious wounding, malicious wounding and leaving the scene of an accident.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:01 pm 
Living in hope

I hope he's never free again.

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:38 am 
Feeling grateful

Since he was convicted of First Degree Murder, I think that is a good bet.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:19 am 
Living in hope

Good.

I never know. Seems like people get off easy for pretty terrible crimes.

But I guess those mostly involve hurting someone, not heinously and willfully killing them.

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20