Too late?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Cerin

Re: Should you punch a Nazi? The limits of tolerance

Post by Cerin »

Lalaith wrote:
Cerin wrote: I think these are questions that need answering.
And many of us already did, yourself included.
My post was addressed specifically to Frelga, as I have taken her to be representing the pro-punch ideology here, and to be most familiar with the underlying principles behind it.

If Frelga has already answered these specific questions, I apologize. I don't have time to re-read the thread.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Maria - your daughter's Facebook post is excellent for the most part, but she's going to have the people who need to read it most shut down and get angry at it because of this line:
I'm not saying every Republican is racist. But this country put a man in charge on an agenda that has hate and fear at the center.
That line is just a wedge.

Trust me, I've seen a enough Republicans I considered reasonable, good people get mighty defensive over this. You'll hear the "I didn't vote for Trump in the primaries, I have nothing to do with this" line. Or the "As a whole we didn't vote for him as our candidate" line. Or the "All Republicans are not like that, it is only a few" line. For some getting their party called out by name is not something they want to hear - this is their team and they stick with it through good and bad. For some it is a welcome excuse to disregard important words, or a welcome excuse to get angry and force anybody who makes them uncomfortable to shut up, or a welcome excuse to drift over to the hate-filled corners of their party that they found secretively attractive anyway. For some it is a sting of shame that they counter with anger.

But all it does is make people angry. To me it is more important that people calm down and unite against hatred. So, since many Republicans do not want to own Donald J Trump as a Republican president, I've mostly let that go. Somehow, 60 million plus turned out for Donald J Trump in the general election. I couldn't find hard numbers easily, but apparently America has about 200 million registered voters, and about 29% of those are Republican. Now, we know a lot of independent voters also voted Trump because they bought his "outsider" spiel. But even with that I suspect that a fair number of Republican voters kinda voted for Donald J Trump in the general election. A bunch of them just don't want to hear about it.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

https://www.facebook.com/brenebrown/vid ... 652127236/

That might work for those of you on FB. I thought her response was dead on, including not using shame but definitely calling out bullsh*t and holding people accountable.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Re the removal of monuments, I recall a spirited discussion back in the early days of b77, about the ethics of deleting posts. It strikes me that removing these monuments is like deleting posts; it disrespects the integrity of past conversation. It says, we, now, are all that matters.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Griffon64 wrote: You'll hear the "I didn't vote for Trump in the primaries, I have nothing to do with this" line. Or the "As a whole we didn't vote for him as our candidate" line. Or the "All Republicans are not like that, it is only a few" line.
I would have been much more sympathetic to this before my kid was old enough to start learning about consequences. Then my nose had to harden. You have choices. Whether or not to pick up your toys. Whether or not to eat your dinner. Whether or not to share with your friends. Whether or not to pay attention to the news. Whether or not to vote in an election or caucus. And, if you've opted to vote, you have a choice in how you vote. D or R or some alternative. And those choices have consequences that you will have to deal with whether you like them or not. So deal with them and if you don't like it choose differently next time. And yeah, I know, some situations are impossible. And I also know that sometimes people make decisions they repent later. You still have to deal with the consequences. Trying to run and hide behind excuses is a way of doing that but if you don't want to be facing similar sets of consequences every time you're faced with the similar choices, pull yourself together and do it differently the next time an opportunity presents itself.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

What River said.

But taking people at their word, if they feel compelled to disavow Trump now, I assume they are not OK with what he stands for. What are they going to do about it, as Republican voters?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I don’t have much to say on the original topic beyond what I’ve already said here, but I wanted to post at least once in support of Cerin. If you argue it’s acceptable to punch Richard Spencer when he speaks in public, there’s no objective grounds on which you can condemn the Republican candidate in Montana who attacked a Guardian reporter. If you can punch a Nazi, you can punch a Guardian reporter. In other words, you can punch everyone if you can make out a case to yourself that their views are dangerous enough to require suppression.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Túrin, while I could not disagree with you more if you told me the sky was green, I also know that this is a difficult time for you personally and I don't think you need this discussion right now.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Not at all. If I didn't want the discussion I wouldn't post in the thread. As much as possible I'm returning my life to normality with its usual diversions.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I am seldom of one mind on any issue and this one is no exception, but one could argue that punching someone in punishment for their utterances is generally wrong, but (morally) permissible under extreme circumstances when those utterances go beyond all bounds of decency. In other words, Gionforte's transgression was not that he punched someone, but rather that he punched someone without adequate cause.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

What Dave said.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I should be clear that I am distinguishing between moral and legal rightness. The law cannot account for anything as ineffable as conscience. Legally, punching someone is always wrong, unless it is defensive. But morally, sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do. And if that gets you slapped with an assault charge, well, wear it as a badge of honor.

But this is all abstract. Was that line crossed in Charlottesville? I wasn't there, and I don't know.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I've been having similar-ish thoughts....

Yesterday, I was listening to a local radio talk show. A couple of people on the show were talking about how they felt about that guy from the Nazi rally who later got chased down and punched by a very angry crowd. A couple of the guys just said, well, he had it coming. But one of them was saying, hold on, shouldn't we defend his free speech?

It struck me as an interesting comment because I have heard that same "free speech" guy say things like, he would punch a guy out if he said something lewd and insulting to his wife. Like, if somebody called his wife the c-word, he likely wouldn't be calling for restraint. And if you're the kind of ass who goes around saying gross things to people's wives, don't be too shocked when sometimes you get punched in your damn face.

Is that moral? Probably not.
Should that be legal? Definitely not.
Do I condone it? No.
Do I understand it? Yup.
Would he deserve it? Damn right.

I may not be "okay" with punching Nazis, but I am pretty okay with living in society so disgusted by them that they're scared to be open about their bullshit.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Free speech means prosecution isn't one of the consequences for things you say (within certain bounds...slander and libel are illegal, for example). Free speech does not, however, mean that you can sound off and not face any consequences at all. Everyone else has as much right to respond (again, within the bounds of the law) to what you say as you do to say it and that needs to be taken into account when you decide to speak up.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

More news from Charlottesville, that is directly appropriate to this topic. I can't find appropriate words to say how badly this SUCKS! This is 2017, people - in the 'land of the free, and the home of the brave'! :x :x :x

http://reformjudaism.org/blog/2017/08/1 ... ty-presses
On Saturday morning, I stood outside our synagogue with the armed security guard we hired after the police department refused to provide us with an officer during morning services. (Even the police department’s limited promise of an observer near our building was not kept — and note, we did not ask for protection of our property, only our people as they worshipped).

Forty congregants were inside. Here’s what I witnessed during that time.

For half an hour, three men dressed in fatigues and armed with semi-automatic rifles stood across the street from the temple. Had they tried to enter, I don’t know what I could have done to stop them, but I couldn’t take my eyes off them, either. Perhaps the presence of our armed guard deterred them. Perhaps their presence was just a coincidence, and I’m paranoid. I don’t know.

Several times, parades of Nazis passed our building, shouting, “There's the synagogue!” followed by chants of “Seig Heil” and other anti-Semitic language. Some carried flags with swastikas and other Nazi symbols.

A guy in a white polo shirt walked by the synagogue a few times, arousing suspicion. Was he casing the building, or trying to build up courage to commit a crime? We didn’t know. Later, I noticed that the man accused in the automobile terror attack wore the same polo shirt as the man who kept walking by our synagogue; apparently it’s the uniform of a white supremacist group. Even now, that gives me a chill.

When services ended, my heart broke as I advised congregants that it would be safer to leave the temple through the back entrance rather than through the front, and to please go in groups.

This is 2017 in the United States of America.

Soon, we learned that Nazi websites had posted a call to burn our synagogue. I sat with one of our rabbis and wondered whether we should go back to the temple to protect the building. What could I do if I were there? Fortunately, it was just talk – but we had already deemed such an attack within the realm of possibilities, taking the precautionary step of removing our Torahs, including a Holocaust scroll, from the premises.

Again: This is in America in 2017.

At the end of the day, we felt we had no choice but to cancel a Havdalah service at a congregant’s home. It had been announced on a public Facebook page, and we were fearful that Nazi elements might be aware of the event. Again, we sought police protection – not a battalion of police, just a single officer – but we were told simply to cancel the event.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

What a sad story to be taking place in this country in this century, Sunny! :x I think (and hope) that the racists and anti-Semites have no idea how much the country has changed. Oh, they have plenty of company, but it's far from a "silent majority" even of white people.

The city of Baltimore did what I think is a very smart thing: last night, in the middle of the night and without any announcement, they removed all four of their Confederate memorials on public land and hauled them out of town. The small crowds that did gather were cheering them on. And Baltimore may have averted its own Charlottesville.

The memorials won't be destroyed. They'll be placed elsewhere, in museums where they can be viewed in context, or maybe on private land.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Cerin wrote:Re the removal of monuments, I recall a spirited discussion back in the early days of b77, about the ethics of deleting posts. It strikes me that removing these monuments is like deleting posts; it disrespects the integrity of past conversation. It says, we, now, are all that matters.
This is a deeply flawed equivalence, unless we're only talking about posts by people who think it's okay to own slaves.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

A perfect take on Twitter this morning.

"Museums are for history. Statues are for those we honor. [...] There's a reason there's no statues of Hitler in Germany."
@MelissaHarperD

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Meme I liked on Twitter:

"Your first name + your last name = your Nazi-fighting name."
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Frelga wrote:"Museums are for history. Statues are for those we honor. [...] There's a reason there's no statues of Hitler in Germany."
@MelissaHarperD
I find this equation of Lee et al. with Hitler utterly idiotic, historically illiterate and morally reprehensible. Irrespective of the CSA's strong efforts to preserve chattel slavery, they were not Nazi Germany and their crimes pale in comparison to the crimes perpetrated on the Eastern Front - which, has to be noted, also happened eighty years later in a time where "human rights" as a global concept had significantly evolved on a theoretical level. And the reason why there are no prominent statues of Hitler in Germany (or Austria) now is because they were immediately torn down after the war had ended, by the allies and/or the local populations. They were rightfully torn down in a time of turmoil, in a time where the people which these statues honored, had just been killed, committed suicide, fled, or been captured.

It is a shame that there are exist no English subtitles for this speech by German historian and social-democratic politician Loretana de Libero on the issue of whether the city of Hamburg should revoke the honorary citizenship of Paul of Hindenburg. I think de Libero touches upon some related issues in her speech (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKPuWl08c5g - link for anyone who wants to learn German and get back to this video in three years ^^).