It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Self-driving cars
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:50 pm 
Lán de Grás

I was originally going to post this video in the "For Geeks" thread, but since the topic of self-driving cars is near and dear to my heart, I thought it deserved its own thread.

So the technology is still in its infancy, but even in its present state, it already seems to be safer than human-driven cars, based on the tests so far. Every now and then you see a headline about a self-driving car being involved in an accident, and in most cases when I actually read the article I discover that the accident was caused by another driver. Although to be fair, I did read one article where the accident was the fault of the self-driving car.

I recognize that it can be unnerving to hand over the responsibility for your safety to someone or something else. I still have to repress those feelings of mind-numbing terror every time I get in an airplane, even though it's been shown that flying is safer than driving. I experience no such terror whenever I get into my car. Maybe I should :P

Anyway, here's the video:

Post subject: Re: Self-driving cars
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:28 am 
Pleasantly Twisted

The only barrier between self-driving semi trucks and the marketplace is regulation and insurance. The technology to have a caravan of twenty of them, driving the same (most efficient) speed for hours without taking breaks--and driving a foot apart to draft--already exists.

Resentment is no excuse for baldface stupidity.
-- Garrison Keillor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:02 pm 
Hobbit

I really like the extremely limited elements of self driving that my Subaru has, even though it does nag me about running too close to the lane line. :oops: Sometimes you HAVE to! The only thing it does badly is anticipation of other driver's actions. When we approach someone who is stopped and waiting to turn off the road, the car slows down far more than needed-- because the other car is out of the way by the time we get there. Does that make sense? It can't understand that the other car's turn signal means it will be leaving the road shortly.

I'm very much in favor of completely self driving cars, though. I can't imagine that they'd make more mistakes than human drivers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:08 pm 
Wrong within normal parameters

Maria wrote:
When we approach someone who is stopped and waiting to turn off the road, the car slows down far more than needed-- because the other car is out of the way by the time we get there. Does that make sense? It can't understand that the other car's turn signal means it will be leaving the road shortly.

But that's just defensive driving, right? Maybe they'll turn quickly and efficiently, maybe they won't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:16 pm 
Hobbit

But as a human, you can see that their wheels are turned and they are slightly moving into the turn. You know it will be clear by the time you get there. You plan to just skim by them as they leave the road. Then your car freaks out, slams on the brakes and you have to override with the accelerator.

It's not something that is a deal breaker for me. Just a very minor annoyance. I'm sure they'll get that fixed eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:43 pm 
Lán de Grás

What if someone crosses the road unexpectedly, so the driver that was about to turn has to jam on his brakes?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:55 pm 
Hobbit

I suppose that could be a concern in the city. The instances I'm describing are on relatively traffic free rural roads that never have pedestrians on them. Well, almost never.

As I understand it, sudden cars appearing from the side baffle even the Tesla auto drive system. I'm not sure how the google auto cars handle such things.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:01 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

Maria wrote:
But as a human, you can see that their wheels are turned and they are slightly moving into the turn. You know it will be clear by the time you get there. You plan to just skim by them as they leave the road. Then your car freaks out, slams on the brakes and you have to override with the accelerator.

I probably do this ALL the time, but just reading it sounds so unsafe to me!

I can't wait for self-driving cars. Speaking for myself, I *know* I get distracted very easily, if anyone in the car is talking... I have problems concentrating! Yes, seriously. And I have had so many close escapes that it is just by sheer luck that I am alive today.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:15 pm 
Meanwhile...

So Yonatan Zunger, who I think is the only person anyone needs to follow on the net, posed this question - when is it OK for your car to kill you?

As a driver, you may make a choice to run off the road or into a tree rather than, say, run over a toddler. But you may choose your own safety over the bicyclist who just flew from around the corner (and there's one alive today only because I saw a flash of her behind some parked cars and slowed down before she careened into my path). How should the self-driving car react?

“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”

- Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:46 pm 
not something I would recommend

My big hope is that self-driving cars become widely available and affordable by the time my parents - now in their late 70s though still in solid health - become too old to drive. Probably not going to happen - I fear they'll be there very soon - but still hoping.

Last edited by yovargas on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:16 pm 
Lán de Grás

I suspect that even when they become available, only people who are capable of driving human-driven cars will be permitted to drive them. At least until they have a long track record.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:17 am 
Hobbit

I want a car that I can send by itself to go get maintenance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:03 pm 

I'm with (what I imagine to be) JRRT's position on this one. Self-driving cars are madness.

Of course, driver-driven cars are madness as well: Mr. Bliss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:11 pm 
Lali Beag Bídeach

My girls shared this with me. Lol! Image

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:17 pm 
Meanwhile...

Too funny! :D

“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:19 pm 

LOL, Lali! :D

I want a car that I can send by itself to go get maintenance.

Me too! Especially because I don't have another person in my household who can drive me back home when I have to leave the car behind for maintenance or repairs!

Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:57 pm 
Lán de Grás

Today's xkcd is relevant:

alt text:
Quote:
"Crowdsourced steering" doesn't sound quite as appealing as "self driving."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:06 pm 
not something I would recommend

"Crowdsourced steering" makes me :rofl:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:30 am 
Meanwhile...

As expected, the cars are much less dangerous than the humans

Man attacks self-driving car in SF Mission
Quote:
Operating in “autonomous mode,” the Cruise AV was stopped at a green light, facing northbound on Valencia, waiting to make a right turn onto 16th Street as pedestrians crossed.

Suddenly, a man ran across Valencia Street against the “do not walk” sign, shouting, and struck the left side of the car’s rear bumper and hatch with his entire body. This is all according to a report the self-driving car manufacturer must file with the DMV in the event of any collision with a pedestrian.

The man sustained no injuries, but the car did. It suffered “some damage to its right rear light,” according to the report.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:48 am 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

the poor car. pat-pat.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)