Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Trump's America

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Meanwhile, Mr. Trump is singlehandedly shutting down part of the government over his misguided insistence on funding his wall (I guess because he failed to get Mexico to pay for it).

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

At least there seems to be bi-partisan agreement in Congress that it's a pretty dumb thing for Trump to do. That's, um, nice, I guess?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I don't know, the House GOP, and most of the Senate GOP, seem to be perfectly willing to go along with him.

Meanwhile, expect some virulent anti-John Roberts tweets soon.

Supreme Court upholds block on Trump's asylum ban
The Supreme Court on Friday upheld a federal judge's order blocking the Trump administration's new asylum restrictions.

Chief Justice John Roberts sided with the four liberal justices in the 5-4 ruling.

The administration's policy, signed on November 9, would temporarily bar migrants who illegally cross into the US through the southern border from seeking asylum outside of official ports of entry. A federal judge in California quickly blocked the order, and the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals agreed.

"It's a major blow to the Trump administration, and sends a strong signal that there are at least five Justices who agree with the district court that the asylum ban exceeds the President's statutory authority," said Steve Vladeck, CNN Supreme Court analyst and professor at the University of Texas School of Law.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Trump has finally crossed the line! Rise and revolt!

https://news.sky.com/video/believe-in-s ... l9TNtD2h7s
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

A Washington Post editorial by the new incoming Senator from Utah, who also happened to be the GOP nominee for president in 2012.

Mitt Romney: The president shapes the public character of the nation. Trump’s character falls short
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Hopefully means he has primary ideas
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

If he wanted to do that why get a job as a Senator?

If someone's going to mount a primary challenge to Trump, my money's on Flake or Kasich. If Romney actually takes a real stand against Trump, it would be a caucus leader type of role within the Senate (if that's even a thing).
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

I agree, River.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm not so sure. I think he's thinking of going for the Big One. Senator for two years is a convenient stepping stone.

As it proved to be for Obama. :neutral:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I can't see him getting anywhere. He's far, far less popular with the GOP base than the President, and he doesn't have all that much support elsewhere to make up for it.
Voronwë the Faithful

There is absolutely no chance that Romney is going to run for president in 2020. But maybe in 2024. Though I agree with Túrin and I doubt he would be able to pick up much support.

ETA: Prim I don't think that Obama's example is applicable to Romney, since he already has so much experience, as a governor, and as a previous presidential candidate. The better comparison is Beto O'Rourke, who is being discussed as a serious presidential candidate despite losing his bid to become a senator (albeit by a small margin in red Texas).
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I honestly don’t know what/whom to hope for as a Democratic candidate in 2020. At this point 12 years ago, IIRC, nobody was seriously eying Obama.

I have a much clearer idea of who I’m hoping will not run or at least will not become the nominee: Clinton, Biden, and Sanders, and I’m on the fence about Warren.

That’s all of the obvious, established candidates. Anyone else would be coming out of nowhere, as Obama did. If such a candidate emerges, he/she will need to be as gifted a candidate as Obama was to have a chance of achieving what he did. And that’s a lot to ask for.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Nancy Pelosi is now officially Speaker of the House, for the second time. She is still the only woman to hold that position, and is second in line for the presidency (if something were to simultaneously happen to Mr. Trump and Vice President Pence, she would become president).
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I've not been a fan of Pelosi but I'd say she's earned some respect. We certainly don't need someone without experience in the position at this time. Unlike our current president, she knows our laws, constitution, and political system and how it works.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

48392946_2206768639334639_4109374195702431744_n.jpg
48392946_2206768639334639_4109374195702431744_n.jpg (97.79 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:cry: It is heartbreaking to listen to a president repeat propaganda and talking points from RT (Russian Times), foreign despots, and tyrants rather than listen to our own countrypersons & experts.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

And yet—why would we ever expect this man to say or do anything except what serves his financial and legal interests and bolsters his ego?

That's observation, not calumny.
Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar wrote::cry: It is heartbreaking to listen to a president repeat propaganda and talking points from RT (Russian Times), foreign despots, and tyrants rather than listen to our own countrypersons & experts.
Andrew McCarthy, a former prosecutor and a contributing editor at the conservative National Review, has been one of the most forceful and eloquent opponents of the Mueller investigation (some may recall seeing Faramond link to a couple of his pieces in the past). It is worth reading what he has to say about Mr. Trump's recent comments about Russia and Afghanistan.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/01/ ... collusion/
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I should probably read the National Review more often. Too much of my news comes from liberal-friendly sources and it's always good to hear opposing opinions from level-headed people.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

This is a good resource for getting a broad spectrum of news sources and points of view https://www.allsides.com/unbiased-balanced-news
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF