Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Trump's America

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The new reports are that Flynn's attorney met this morning with Mueller's team, further suggesting that they are attempting to negotiate a plea deal.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/michael- ... d=51412187
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Will anyone here be better off if the GOP passes the tax bill?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Personally, I don't think so. Even if I do get a direct benefit, I'm not sure it's worth the damage that will be done to doctoral programs if the House gets its way.

Nationally, well, Kansas already ran that experiment. They're regretting it.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Faramond is the household accountant, so I can't really answer that question. I think we won't be worse off, for now.

But once those tax cuts expire ( they're still planning on doing that, right? ) and an extra 1.5 trillion is added to the national deficit, we might be a bit worse off. Though what's a ballooning deficit if a Republican administration is running it up? :roll: Such squawking from the budget hawks when the deficit went up under Obama. There are some hawks still squawking I think ( hence the expiration date on the tax cuts ) but the supporting chorus died out.

I mean, what's up with a bigly tax plan, the winningest plan, so much win you guys, if you pretty much admit defeat right off the bat by baking in a sunset clause for the cuts? ( Definitely for personal taxes, last I heard. Probably not for corporate taxes I expect because you really would whomp your economy if you suddenly jack up corporate rates again. )

Also, if the individual mandate is killed, they be able to kill the ADA in pieces for sure, since rates would shoot up as currently healthy people drop coverage. But if any of those guys get sick, they'll be paying through the nose for any coverage to join up, I bet. Also, just don't acquire any pre-existing conditions, people. As we all know, you can avoid those through clean, conservative livin' so if you get 'em it's your fault and you should suffer and die. :roll:

So, right now we won't be hurt. But long term, the damage to doctoral programs, the anticipated cuts in Social Security, the removal of health insurance through unaffordable premiums, all that stuff, will hurt the country as a whole, and that would hurt us too. Quality of life is much wider than just what your personal finances look like.

Here's an analysis article from Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnwasik/ ... 1fa2e6c1ee

Here's one from Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/11 ... -like.html

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
Voronwë the Faithful

Flynn has apparently reached a plea deal to plead guilty to one count of lying to the FBI. What does the mean for anyone else? Possibly nothing. But I doubt that.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The usual Twittering heads are saying this absolutely means there is a deal, and that the information Flynn has given or offered could only be something that incriminates someone above him—which would be Trump, or Pence, or both. If so, obviously, this is huge.

I’m dying to see Trump’s next tweet—though if they’re smart, they’ll have locked up his phone the moment the news broke.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Huh. From @AP
BREAKING: Ex-Trump adviser Michael Flynn admits in plea that Trump transition officials directed his contacts with the Russians.
Dear Lord, please don't let the President start a nuclear war over this.

ETA: Seth Abramson
70/ Pence was nominally the head of the transition, and Flynn is now saying he was in contact with members of the transition—high-level members—about his conversations with Russia. If Mike Pence was one of them—and he lied about it publicly—he could face Obstruction charges, too.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I can't help but feel this is too early. I'm not sure the present Congress would take action even if presented with signed documents from Trump agreeing to help Russian intelligence bring down the US government from the inside.

Though more realistically, I suspect many would be glad of the excuse to turn against him.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Dave_LF wrote:I can't help but feel this is too early. I'm not sure the present Congress would take action even if presented with signed documents from Trump agreeing to help Russian intelligence bring down the US government from the inside.

Though more realistically, I suspect many would be glad of the excuse to turn against him.
I agree with your first statement. I would agree with the second, too, if the Pence presidency was assured. If the VP is implicated, I expect the Republicans in Congress to circle the wagons around both him and Trump.

Voronwë the Faithful

CNN is reporting that it is Kushner.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This may eventually lead to something, but the important story today is the Republicans trying to ram through a tax bill without review, analysis, or expert testimony.
MT Senator Tester wrote:I was just handed a 479-page tax bill a few hours before the vote. One page literally has hand scribbled policy changes on it that can’t be read. This is Washington, D.C. at its worst. Montanans deserve so much better. https://t.co/q6lTpXoXS0
This tweet from Senator Markey has a photo of a scribbled over page. https://twitter.com/SenMarkey/status/936738897744285698

They are voting today.

President Trump is not half the problem that the GOP Congress is.

Faramond

Post by Faramond »

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... mpeachment

I think this is a pretty good summary of where the investigation into Trump stands.

Bottom line is that the plea deals and charges so far don't make a lot of sense if they're approaching a conspiracy charge.

And legally making a case for obstruction against Trump is probably a long shot.

But finding something worthy of impeachment might not be such a long shot. It all comes back to Trump being a combination of incompetent and arrogant and utterly self-assured that whatever whim he has is presidential.
Voronwë the Faithful

I have some quibbles with that article here and there, but in all essential points I agree with it
Voronwë the Faithful

Meanwhile, tomorrow there will be a hearing in New York court on a motion to dismiss filed on Trump's behalf of a lawsuit for defamation filed by Summer Zervos, one of the 16 or so women who accused Trump of sexual assault during the campaign, and were then called lawyers by Trump. If the judge rejects the motion to dismiss and the case goes forward, Ms. Zervos's attorneys are expected to present evidence regarding all of the allegations of sexual misconduct by Trump.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Meanwhile, tomorrow there will be a hearing in New York court on a motion to dismiss filed on Trump's behalf of a lawsuit for defamation filed by Summer Zervos, one of the 16 or so women who accused Trump of sexual assault during the campaign, and were then called lawyers by Trump...

I know you work with lawyers all day long, Voronwë, but I think THIS time you meant to say 'liars'... :rofl:

[Resists temptation to make a bad lawyer joke...] 8)
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The photo below was sent by a friend who was passing through the Moscow airport the other day. The ad is for RT (Russia Today) News news show. I almost said that it's the official Kremlin mouthpiece, but that's redundant. Independent press no longer exists in Russia.
uploadfromtaptalk1512550040526.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1512550040526.jpg (249.94 KiB) Viewed 8373 times

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Time Person of the Year... not Trump.

http://www.thejournal.ie/time-person-of ... 5-Dec2017/

In fact, Time Person of the year is "Not-Trump"
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That is actually incredibly appropriate on many levels.

Has he tweeted yet?

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I like that cover. *This* is why I keep paying for my subscription to Time.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Frelga wrote: Has he tweeted yet?
Did this come out before 3AM?