Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Re: Trump's America

Post by Lalaith »

:shock: :suspicious:

Colbert was just hitting his groove on his Mooch impression. Sad.

(And we've always been allowed to say "Merry Christmas," ffs! :rage: )
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'm not sure if I know how to properly link to Twitter, but if I got it right, this is hilariously pertinent: Twitter link attempt
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:rofl:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Lalaith wrote: (And we've always been allowed to say "Merry Christmas," ffs! :rage: )
Yes, but what that actually means is that they won't have to heat other people say Happy Hanukkah or something like that.

I don't get it. Is their faith so fragile that the very existence of people who believe differently is threatening?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Any expression of a different faith can only be meant as aggression against theirs, because none of the other faiths but theirs are real.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Al, :rofl:

Frelga, there is Prim's point, but there is also this growing view among conservative Evangelicals that they are being actively persecuted* in this country. There is a "war" on Christianity, and our liberal government has been trying to dismantle our national Christian heritage and lead us into apostasy and godlessness.

*I wonder what the Christians in the Middle East would say about that. :roll: :suspicious:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Primula Baggins wrote:Any expression of a different faith can only be meant as aggression against theirs, because none of the other faiths but theirs are real.
Well, yes, I feel that way, too. :P But I'm nice about it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

But see, you can imagine that misguided but good-hearted people might have good intentions. :P

And you know what actual religious persecution looks like. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, and I wouldn't have said what I said anywhere else, but i figure you know me well enough to understand what I mean.

So that happened. The President of the US attacked the Congress controlled by his own party on Twitter on behalf of Russia.

"Our relationship with Russia is at an all-time & very dangerous low. You can thank Congress, the same people that can't even give us HCare!"

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

That's good. That means that Congress will see that there's no real advantage in continuing to support this guy.

Or am I being too optimistic?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

You are being very optimistic. I predict he'll be there for four full years.
Maybe I'm too pessimistic, but I did predict he was going to win.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I like the part where Mr. Art of the Deal takes responsibility for the health care failures. :roll:
Jude wrote:That means that Congress will see that there's no real advantage in continuing to support this guy.
That would likely only happen if Trump's fan base starts jumping ship. IOW, never.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

And even so, in many ways Pence would be worse, at least from my perspective. Not as unpredictable, so perhaps not quite as likely to lead us off the precipice into WWIII, but very predictable in being able to work with the most socially conservative members of Congress to reverse various human rights gains of the past half century or more.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It looks like Trump's moving in that direction anyway.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The silver lining is that he is so inept that it actually helps block their ability to accomplish what they want to.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

I'm actually impressed. Not pleased, of course, but impressed.

He is much more skillful with twitter than most people realize. If he wants to set his opponents off on a tirade all he has to do is tweet, and then he can go about other business.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It would be more impressive if he actually did go about any business.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I think there is a temptation to imagine Trump's actions as part of some clever plan simply because human brain insists on building patterns out of chaos. Evidence suggests that in reality he is exactly what he appears to be. Most people are, you know.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Yeah, that phone call with Australia was interesting. Turnbull was drawing a great big circle with glitter marker around a huge loophole in the deal he'd made with the Obama Administration and Trump just didn't seem to get it at all. He's just a blowhard that attaches his name to things in big shiny letters. Sometimes it works out for him and sometimes it doesn't.
When you can do nothing what can you do?