Harriet Tubman will be on the $20 bill

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Maria
Hobbit

Re: Harriet Tubman will be on the $20 bill

Post by Maria »

When I was on my brief genealogical kick, a lot of times the only image available of a person deep in antiquity was their face stamped on a coin.

Having your face on a metal coin is likely to last a lot longer than paper money, if the civilization that made the money falls.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

XKCD on the mark again:

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Sorry this is late, but as a non American, I learned about Harriet Tubman when I was little and in school. She was a pretty awesome historical figure. She might not have been taught about in many schools, because it was a woman of colour 150 years doing awesome stuff. That usually does not get told. (Ex: Almost all women in science before 1950 that aren't Madam Curie.) I am pretty happy she is on the $20.

Here is a drunk history episode about her. it's quite good.

https://youtu.be/VpTf1GFjCd8

EDIT: Possible language warning.
Last edited by Hachimitsu on Wed May 04, 2016 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks, Hachimitsu (I almost typed "Wilma"). That's good stuff. And it's always nice to see you here!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."