Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia is dead

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Cerin

Re: Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia is dead

Post by Cerin »

It does seem like it would be a better strategy for Republicans, to allow votes and reject the nominees, than to refuse to take up the nominations at all, which could more easily be seen as obstructing the constitutional process.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Maybe, if half of them hadn't run on promises to obstruct the government.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

McConnell saying that the voters should get a say in this (his justification for not bringing up any nomination) ignores the fact that the voters elected and re-elected Obama. Most of them knowing full well that his obligation is to appoint judges and SCOTUS justices.

McConnell is being typically disingenuous. And Cruz promising to filibuster any Obama nominee is being typically Cruz.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Any chance that Obama himself could be nominated if they drag this out long enough? (I saw that possibility being floated around out there but am skeptical of its viability.)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

CosmicBob wrote:McConnell saying that the voters should get a say in this (his justification for not bringing up any nomination) ignores the fact that the voters elected and re-elected Obama. Most of them knowing full well that his obligation is to appoint judges and SCOTUS justices.

McConnell is being typically disingenuous. And Cruz promising to filibuster any Obama nominee is being typically Cruz.
Isn't the Supreme Court NOT being elected kinda the point? :scratch:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Lalaith wrote:Any chance that Obama himself could be nominated if they drag this out long enough? (I saw that possibility being floated around out there but am skeptical of its viability.)
He doesn't want it (or that's what he says, anyway). But it would make great theater.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Cerin wrote:It does seem like it would be a better strategy for Republicans, to allow votes and reject the nominees, than to refuse to take up the nominations at all, which could more easily be seen as obstructing the constitutional process.
Except that if they allow hearings and a vote on a specific nominee, particularly one who is appealing and qualified, and then vote that person down, there is a face to their obstructionism, which could make it even worse. Either way, I think they are backed into a corner.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Here's a fun scenario to consider, which is possible (not that I think there is a remote possibility of it happening). Lets say the GOP stays firm on refusing to consider any nominee, no matter how qualified, no matter how moderate, that Obama nominates. And lets say that in the presidential election they still win (with President-elect Rubio and Vice President-elect Kasich taking their respective home states which have been the two biggest swing states in recent elections) but the Democrats gaining a net four seats in the Senate (a distinct possibility, made greater by the vulnerable GOP Senators supporting the obstructionism). The new Senate gets seated on January 3, 2017. However, President Obama and Vice President Biden are still in office until January 20, 2017. During those 17 days, Obama could appoint however he wanted to, and any tie in the Senate would be broken by Biden! A couple of years ago the Senate eliminated the filibuster for all judicial appointments other than Supreme Court appointments. They could, however, ram through a new rule that extends that to include SCOTUS appointments, with Biden providing the tie-breaking vote. And then Obama could appoint himself, and the Senate could confirm him, with Biden providing the tie-breaking vote.

It could happen. It won't, but it could. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Here's a fun scenario to consider, which is possible (not that I think there is a remote possibility of it happening). Lets say the GOP stays firm on refusing to consider any nominee, no matter how qualified, no matter how moderate, that Obama nominates. And lets say that in the presidential election they still win (with President-elect Rubio and Vice President-elect Kasich taking their respective home states which have been the two biggest swing states in recent elections) but the Democrats gaining a net four seats in the Senate (a distinct possibility, made greater by the vulnerable GOP Senators supporting the obstructionism). The new Senate gets seated on January 3, 2017. However, President Obama and Vice President Biden are still in office until January 20, 2017. During those 17 days, Obama could appoint however he wanted to, and any tie in the Senate would be broken by Biden! A couple of years ago the Senate eliminated the filibuster for all judicial appointments other than Supreme Court appointments. They could, however, ram through a new rule that extends that to include SCOTUS appointments, with Biden providing the tie-breaking vote. And then Obama could appoint himself, and the Senate could confirm him, with Biden providing the tie-breaking vote.

It could happen. It won't, but it could. ;)
Heads would explode! It would be funny to watch, that's for sure.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Appointing oneself to a lifetime seat on the Supreme Court would be unseemly beyond words, and ethically questionable, imo. (Sorry to be a wet blanket, Voronwë.)
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Of course, Obama could use this same strategy and appoint a young, well-qualified progressive jurist rather than himself.

Heads would still explode, but the ethical issue would go away.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Cerin wrote:Appointing oneself to a lifetime seat on the Supreme Court would be unseemly beyond words, and ethically questionable, imo. (Sorry to be a wet blanket, Voronwë.)
Cerin, I was not suggesting this as a real option, as I can't imagine you do not realize. Just a little playful fun.
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

Ooh! I have one! What if every one in the House gets voted out and replaced with aliens from the planet Xornon? And the Xornon house declares the constitution unconstitutional and replaces it with the Xornon Terms of Service, which they force the senate to approve since they totally can, due to the feared Xornon Pan-molecular Ray Balster? Then they fire all of the Supreme Court Justices (which they totally can too, see Ray Blaster) and then they bring Scalia back to life and clone him and set up the court with nine Antonin Scalias, only the cloning process goes wrong and the clones all metamorphosize into giant pandas and the U.S. Supreme Court is suddenly controlled by a zombie Scalia and an embarrassment of pandas?

:wooper:

It won’t happen, but it’s as likely as anything else at this point.

And Zombie Scalia and an Embarrassment of Pandas would be an awesome band name.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

<silently burns next novel>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

I'm in favor of just replacing the entire House and the Senate with giant pandas anyway. It'd be like all the monkeys with all the typewriters writing the complete works Shakespeare. With lots of bamboo.
Glowah, eee chop glowah.
Ya glowah pee chu nee foom
Ah toot dee awe goon daa.

Glory, we found glory.
The power showed us the light,
And now we all live free.

Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
Celebrate the might; (Power!)
Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
Celebrate the love.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I wouldn't say as likely as anything else at this point. But both are very, very unlikely, yes.

( :wave: ttbk)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I like ttbk's idea! :D

And an Embarrassment of Pandas would be a great band name! I had kind of settled on Acoustic Shadows, though.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

You wouldn't want a band's performance to be dominated by acoustic shadows!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I prefer an Embarrassment of Acoustic Shadows.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

tinwë

Post by tinwë »

Prim, sorry.

ttbk, hey! :wave: I like pandas too! Although Acoustic Shadows sound pretty cool too.

And for the record, "Embarrassment" is in fact the proper term of venery for a group of pandas.

http://www.pets.ie/pet_talk/an-embarras ... f-animals/

And also for the record, I was not trying to be disrespectful or dismissive of a serious situation, just trying to inject a little levity. :)