It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control Debate
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:35 am 
Meanwhile...

Poe's Law in one bumper sticker.

‘No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts.’
Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:10 am 

:oops: :rofl:

Well, then, I guess it's cleverly funny. :D

And now I know what Poe's law is too. Bonus.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:39 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

Read up on Poe’s law - so cool. Thanks Frelga.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:46 pm 
Meanwhile...

If I were an evil woman, I'd suggest that the TV Tropes article provides the best information, but I appreciate that you all have lives. =:)

I really want to believe it's a joke, because then my brain will stop going, "But then wouldn't the Romans have artillery?" But I've seen enough trucks with multiple bumper stickers dedicated to both Jesus and guns, and I don't think anyone is THAT dedicated to satire.
:help:

‘No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts.’

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:57 pm 
Feeling grateful

:cry:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:32 am 

No words. Well, yeah, I have a lot of words. A lot of thoughts. It's just a sad, sick situation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:23 am 
bioalchemist

I quit mourning after Sandy Hook. Now I just count down for all the standard b.s. piety and hand-wringing, chased with nonsense conspiracy theories.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:13 am 
Living in hope

I just will never understand why the right to wield an AR-15 at will is inviolable, more sacred than the lives of innocents. Of children. But that has been the case for years. We’ve sacrificed hundreds of innocents for that apparently essential freedom.

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:19 am 
Meanwhile...

The Onion runs the same story after every shooting, changing only the details

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:42 pm 
Meanwhile...

Predictably (!!!), Republican talking heads are attacking the young survivors of the Parkland shooting for calling for a ban on automatic weapons.

In related news, I KNEW Bill O'Reilly is a despicable waste of oxygen, but somehow he can still surprise me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:49 pm 
not something I would recommend

Frelga wrote:
Predictably (!!!), Republican talking heads are attacking the young survivors of the Parkland shooting for calling for a ban on automatic weapons.

I thought for sure they would be politically savvy enough to not touch that with a 1000-mile pole.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:27 am 
bioalchemist

If you believe and want everyone else to believe they're being used as props by adults it works.

While I'm certain the kids are getting advice and encouragement from adults with experience in activism and civil disobedience, teenagers aren't sheep or even sheepish. If throngs of kids are staging walk-outs and lie-ins, it's because they want to.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:42 am 
Meanwhile...

yovargas wrote:
Frelga wrote:

I thought for sure they would be politically savvy enough to not touch that with a 1000-mile pole.
Or, you know, possess a basic decency, or some qualifications for entry into the human race.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:02 am 

It's disgusting. And now Don Jr is spreading his vile nazi alt-right conspiracy theory crap by 'liking' posts that attack surviving students as 'fake'. No, it's not decent.

Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:27 am 
Feeling grateful

RoseMorninStar wrote:
It's disgusting. And now Don Jr is spreading his vile nazi alt-right conspiracy theory crap by 'liking' posts that attack surviving students as 'fake'. What a horrid piece of human waste. No, it's not decent.

I know that this issue engenders strong feelings, but calling any person "a horrid piece of human waste" is not acceptable here. Please moderate your language in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:53 am 

I apologize. Post corrected.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:15 pm 
Hobbit

I saw this yesterday, and thought you all might think it was interesting.
I checked the stats on the Ruger, and they are accurate.

Attachment:
28056745_10216020473530051_8008038996748084075_n.jpg
28056745_10216020473530051_8008038996748084075_n.jpg [ 93.5 KiB | Viewed 559 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:29 pm 
of Vinyamar

Am I a weenie liberal for saying "Ban both of them"?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:44 pm 
Wrong within normal parameters

The AR gets the attention because it's the one mass murderers actually use, but in the highly unlikely event that it gets banned for civilian use, I'm sure other models with similar specs would get swept up along with it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:09 pm 
Meanwhile...

Do these guns fire the same number of rounds per second and have the same killing distance? If yes, then I say ban them both. To me, the deciding factors would not be the model of the rifle or the type of ammunition it's what it would take to stop the gunman, and how many people they can kill before somebody stops them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 33  Next