2016 United States Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

2016 United States Election

Post by Inanna »

I think David Wong should become explainer-in-chief. I just read the second article too. However, I don't want to take that title from the Google guy - whaizname, Frelga? The one you link to?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: 2016 United States Election

Post by Frelga »

Yonatan Zunger?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Dave_LF wrote:ax, I think you're right about all that, but I don't think exploring the larger historical context was what Wong was after--he just wanted to explain why he thinks people stuck in that situation, however it came to be, feel and vote the way they do. But putting both together sounds like a great idea for someone's doctoral thesis! :)

ETA: And yes, reading the second article immediately after the first was an interesting experience.
In many cases we're talking about descendants of the people the Southern aristocracy talked into being cannon fodder to preserve slavery, the economic system guaranteed to keep them poor and powerless. That's the depressing thing about history, unless, like Trump, one is a con artist: people don't change.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The Cracked Article wrote:Where I'm from, you weren't a real man unless you could repair a car, patch a roof, hunt your own meat, and defend your home from an intruder. It was a source of shame to be dependent on anyone -- especially the government. You mowed your own lawn and fixed your own pipes when they leaked, you hauled your own firewood in your own pickup truck.
That's quite true. Just a couple of weeks ago we bought hay that someone else baled in the field, and I literally felt embarrassed to be using the Amish guys who were available there to load the hay on our trailer. I felt like we were taking advantage of third world labor and that we really ought to be out there doing it ourselves. :oops: Never mind that neither my husband nor I were in any sort of shape for that kind of heavy labor that day... it was all we could do to get the hay unloaded and stacked when we got home.

We almost never have people come to our home to perform a service of any kind. I never realized it was a cultural trait before, instead of an individual one. :scratch:

I still support the system, though. And plenty of other rural people do, too. :roll:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:Yonatan Zunger?
That's the one, thank you.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Maria wrote:I never realized it was a cultural trait before, instead of an individual one. :scratch:
I think it's both. Like so many of them.
I still support the system, though. And plenty of other rural people do, too. :roll:
I can't speak for the author, but I don't think he meant to imply that nobody out there* does. But we all know that some of them don't, and I think he was trying to give a window into why that might be (beyond "they're just terrible people").

*or here; I'm sort of in the middle
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I predict a rise in the popularity of #FLOTUSforPOTUS.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Alatar wrote:I predict a rise in the popularity of #FLOTUSforPOTUS.
One at a time! ;)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Alatar wrote:I predict a rise in the popularity of #FLOTUSforPOTUS.
Who's FLOTUS? Uzzi*?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

First Lady of the United States.

I doubt Mrs. Obama wants the job.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ah! Yes, I doubt she does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That was one incredible speech she gave today.

Rachel Maddow argued her producers into letting her show about 20 minutes of it (the part that wasn't purely a campaign speech for Hillary) uninterrupted. Anyone who is even vaguely interested should watch it somehow. Any woman, any person who feels kind of greasy and soiled and weary after what's been going on. Anyone who's angry, or too tired of it all to be angry.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes - anyone who's too tired of it to be angry. It was brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Oof. The New York Times has refused to print a retraction because “The essence of a libel claim, of course, is the protection of one’s reputation ... Nothing in our article has had the slightest effect on the reputation that Mr. Trump, through his own words and actions, has already created for himself.”

http://www.nytco.com/the-new-york-times ... on-letter/
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That's a great response! :horse:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Didn't Trump Sr. already say something along the same lines a couple months ago? Something like if a woman is getting harassed in the workplace it's because she's not tough enough or something?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Sort of. What he said was that if his daughter Ivanka faced harassment at work, she should find another job. Then his other son Eric "clarified" that what his father likely meant was that a "strong, powerful woman" like Ivanka wouldn't "allow herself" to be sexually harassed.

ETA a link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... /87957126/
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

***barf***
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Alatar wrote:Oof. The New York Times has refused to print a retraction because “The essence of a libel claim, of course, is the protection of one’s reputation ... Nothing in our article has had the slightest effect on the reputation that Mr. Trump, through his own words and actions, has already created for himself.”

http://www.nytco.com/the-new-york-times ... on-letter/
* standing ovation *
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!