Death row and organ donation

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Frelga wrote:Well, I do have to say that people who are trying to prevent death penalty at the cost of innocent lives are... misguided seems a bit mild a word.
Yes. I cannot say enough about how strongly I condemn this result. I will not say, condemn the people involved, because I think they are acting in good faith to protect lives (the lives of those on death row) without any insight into the collateral harm of their actions - innocents far from any homicide trial or penitentiary. And this again illustrates my fundamental thesis with respect to the death penalty: the death penalty deeply affects many, many people beyond the obvious.

(Understand: that thesis is neither necessarily an anti-death penalty nor a pro-death penalty thesis. It just asks people to be more aware of the many people whom the death penalty as it currently exists affects, people who are invisible in the current discourse. Once aware, people may choose to be pro- or anti-death penalty, but they will do so with a much greater awareness of death penalty realities.)
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

yovargas wrote:Oh, nel...it's always so good to see you. The world could sure use a lot more folks like you. :hug: :hug: :hug:
A whole lot more. :hug:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

IAWP&Y
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!