Kermit Gosnell Trial

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Some facts.
Bolding is mine.
Most women receiving abortion (83%) are unmarried. Women who have never married obtain two-thirds of all abortions. 16% are separated, divorced, or widowed. Married women are significantly less likely than unmarried women to resolve unintended pregnancies through abortion. About 60% of abortions are obtained by women who have one or more child.

The abortion rate among women living below the federal poverty level ($9,570.) is per women (below 100% of poverty) is nearly four times that of women above 200% of poverty (112 vs. 29 per 1000 women).

The decision to have an abortion is never simple. The reasons women provide for having an abortion underscores their understanding of the responsibilities of parenthood and family life. Three-fourths of women cite concerns for or responsibility to other individuals; three-fourths say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or the ability to care for dependents; and half say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner. Lack of money ranks very high. Many feel the responsible course of action is to wait until their situation is more suited to child rearing; 66% plan to have children when they are older and financially able to provide for a child and/or in a supportive relationship with a partner so their children can have two parents. Others wanted to get pregnant and developed serious medical problems, learned that the fetus had severe abnormalities, or experienced some other personal crisis. Each year, about 13,000 women have abortions because they became pregnant as a result of rape or incest.
Bottom line: when faced with an unintended pregnancy, women who feel able to care for a baby are more likely to have one than women who don't. You want to see an end to most abortions (rape, incest, birth defects, and medical issues are another set of stories), you make sure all women, even the "sluts" have resources at their disposal that enable them to care for a child.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

River wrote:You want to see an end to most abortions...? make sure all women...have resources at their disposal that enable them to care for a child.
This should be on a bumper sticker.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Gosnell has been found guilty of three counts of first degree murder for killing three live fetuses, and one count of involuntary manslaughter in the death of a woman seeking an abortion who died from an overdose of an anesthetic administered by Dr. Gosnell’s unlicensed assistants. He was aquitted on one other murder charge. Prosecutors have indicated that they will seek the death penalty.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I have mixed feelings on the death penalty, but I am glad that he was found guilty.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I have a definite problem with the death penalty. If the guy slipped on the soap and died in the shower I wouldn't shed a tear, but I doubt there's any deterrence value to be had in this case. Other sleazoid docs are going to think they're smarter than him and can get away with it.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I meant the death penalty in general, though I am almost completely on the side of not being in favor of it anymore. Specific to this case, I don't think Gosnell should get the death penalty, as heinous as I think his crimes are.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

There was a segment on NPR about the verdict and it was covered extensively in the NY Times and the Boston Globe.

I'm glad he was found guilty as well and I think the death penalty is too easy...he should rot in jail. And he will - he's 72 years old and will likely never see the outside of a prison again.

Horrific case.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Voronwë the Faithful

Even if he got the death penalty, he would be likely to rot in prison before it ever were carried out.

(For the record, as I've said before, I am not in favor of capital punishment in any circumstances.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

He has apparently reached a deal with prosecutors in which he gives up his right of appeal in exchange for a life sentence instead of the death penalty.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Two life sentences without possibility of parole. He's still to be sentenced for murder of the third baby and manslaughter of the woman who was overdosed with anesthesia.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King