The 2016 US Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

The 2016 US Election

Post by Alatar »

So, Jeb Bush versus Hilary Clinton? Any takers?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Chris Christie versus Andrew Cuomo (aka "the Sandy war").
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
The Watcher

Post by The Watcher »

Rick Santorum against Tammy Baldwin

:rofl: :twisted:
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

No. Please. Just stop. This is like my worst nightmare come to life. Can we at least get through Inauguration Day before talking about this??

Oh frak it. I doubt Hillary will make a Presidential run. I think she'd rather take some time recovering from being Secretary of State.

Watcher: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

If there's going to be someone from Florida on the GOP ticket, it will be Marco Rubio. They're already trying to walk back the nativist BS from this cycle.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Joe Biden made some noises about voting for him in 2016. To which Jon Stewart quipped, "What, on Dancing with the Stars "
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

My dream election would be Condoleezza Rice vs Hillary Clinton.
It won't ever happen, but it would potentially rid us of so many stereotypes and create the perfect storm of elections, that maybe, just maybe, we could grow into the realm of voting for individuals rather than ideological perceptions.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Surely in a President you should be voting for their policies (which are ideological and party based) rather than their personalities? I'm a perfectly nice fella but I don't think that makes me a good candidate for President!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Alatar wrote:Surely in a President you should be voting for their policies (which are ideological and party based) rather than their personalities?
Policies are changeable, to a large degree collective and depend on events. Personality, in so far as an aptitude for leadership, an ability to communicate and sound judgement are personality traits, is critical.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Still, if your leanings are generally to the Right, you'd be insane to vote in a Democrat just cause he's charismatic, or vice versa.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

True.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Many people here convince themselves they're not affiliated with a party, or interested in ideology. For them it's all about personality, certainly at the Presidential level. I know more than one person who voted for George W. Bush the first time because he came off as "a regular guy."

Absurd as the notion of the son of a CIA director and US President, a Yale grad and multimillionaire who owned a pro baseball team and former Governor of Texas being a "regular guy" may be, it worked for him. Me, I think "regular guys" have no business in the White House, but the US has always had an anti-intellectual strain to its collective character.

Bill Clinton beat W's dad with personality as much as position. Mondale lost to the more charismatic Reagan less because of policies than because people *liked* Reagan.

It's part of the price tag for a non-parliamentary democracy.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I did say individuals, not personality. I can see how people vote based on perceived ideologies, but not every republican or democrat is created with a cloning device.

Is it really sound to vote for someone who has an "r" or a "d" next to their name, or to vote strictly on party lines, even if that person appears incompetent or less fit for the job?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I would definitely support Hillary Clinton, should she decide she is healthy enough to run at the age of 69. My opinion of her has improved dramatically over the past 4 years.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I vote for competence and on issues regardless of party, but I generally find that leaves me voting for local or at most state-level Republicans. Beyond that point they have to be very much the products of their party's platform to get the chance to run, and at this point there are some Republican platform elements I oppose so strongly that I am unable to vote for anyone who supports them (even if I'm no fan of the Democrat I end up voting for).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Paul Ryan in the running.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I would have agreed strongly before the election. But the outrage and blame-seeking among Republicans who weren't expecting the outcome has been so strong that I wonder if the lingering shadow will stick to Ryan as well.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Has a VP of a losing candidate ever run successfully?

Too lazy to look up.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Frelga wrote:Has a VP of a losing candidate ever run successfully?

Too lazy to look up.
Since the 12th Amendment was passed, FDR was the only unsuccessful VP to win a presidential election. I think he was the only one anyway.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

axordil wrote:Many people here convince themselves they're not affiliated with a party, or interested in ideology. For them it's all about personality, certainly at the Presidential level. I know more than one person who voted for George W. Bush the first time because he came off as "a regular guy."

Absurd as the notion of the son of a CIA director and US President, a Yale grad and multimillionaire who owned a pro baseball team and former Governor of Texas being a "regular guy" may be, it worked for him. Me, I think "regular guys" have no business in the White House, but the US has always had an anti-intellectual strain to its collective character.

Bill Clinton beat W's dad with personality as much as position. Mondale lost to the more charismatic Reagan less because of policies than because people *liked* Reagan.

It's part of the price tag for a non-parliamentary democracy.
And Parliamentary democracy as well.

Obviously 'regular guy' is an impression rather than a biographical fact. FDR drew enourmous support from people who felt, based on his personality or his policies, that he empathised with them in spite of his very privileged background.