Nobels 2012, etc.

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

Putin has not been nominated by the Nobel commitee, just to clarify.

First, nominations are not public. And then, Putin's name was submitted by an organisation supporting him which has the right to propose names for nomination (like a lot of other organisations). So, it is a proposal for a nomination.... and I think that every year some lunatic proposals like this arrive.

Also, Putin's name was put in the balance in octobre and the regular nomination process was already finished for a long time.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Thanks, Nin. That's good to know!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh, that makes some sense. Thanks, Nin!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I'm rooting for Malala. Such courage and clear vision ought to be held up as an example for the world.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Thanks for the clarification, Nin. :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

That was also my immediate response on seeing that announcement.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

And for the second time this week, Voronwë beats me to the punch!

:D
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Oh, that is wonderful. I wish it could have happened last year, though.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Putin's suggested nomination is a sick joke, to say the least.

Without the threat of U.S. and allied military action, Putin and company had absolutely no incentive to seek a diplomatic solution. They just took an opportunity to save their pet dictator, al-Assad. It has nothing to do with the promotion of peace.

Plus, the guy is a brutal authoritarian. If anyone like him were ever to receive a Nobel Prize, the award would be sullied forever.

In any event, it isn't going to happen, so it's all academic.
Voronwë the Faithful

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Plus, the guy is a brutal authoritarian. If anyone like him were ever to receive a Nobel Prize, the award would be sullied forever.
Henry Kissinger? Le Duc Tho? Yasser Arafat?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Unfortunately, the poll on Yahoo Canada shows that only 13% of people visiting the site have ever read anything by Alice Munro. And, as far as I can tell, I am not in that 13% :( If I ever read one of her stories, it was probably required reading back in High School.

My favourite Canadian author was Farley Mowat, who, alas, though still alive, seems to have retired from writing quite some time ago.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Sunsilver wrote:Unfortunately, the poll on Yahoo Canada shows that only 13% of people visiting the site have ever read anything by Alice Munro.
That's really pretty darn high for any non-blockbuster level author. I hadn't heard of her before this.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I heard a story about her on NPR on my drive home from Mom and Dad's today, and they said she had been planning to retire—but that the Nobel was leading her to reconsider.

She also talked about the issue of guilt—of feeling she didn't deserve to take all that time to do something as frivolous as writing, when a friend called wanting to chat or when there was always more to do to be a better housekeeper. . . .

She sounded like vison, so much—her words, her voice, the way she laughed. I've never read her stories, I'm sorry to admit—I gravitate toward novels—but I'll go find some.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote:Plus, the guy is a brutal authoritarian. If anyone like him were ever to receive a Nobel Prize, the award would be sullied forever.
Henry Kissinger? Le Duc Tho? Yasser Arafat?
Good point. But despite their crimes, and they were many, I find Putin and his friend al-Assad to be in a league of their own. The latter has committed mass atrocities for which he should eventually be tried at the Hague (joining the ranks of Milosevic, Karadzic, Charles Taylor, etc) and the former has helped facilitate that (among other crimes, domestic and international). In my book, leaders of powerful nations that actively resist advancing the concept and practice of the Responsibility to Protect, and coddle those regimes that commit mass atrocities/genocide (Russia and China have been coddling Syria and Sudan, respectively, for some time now, and they both supported an ethnic-cleansing Serbia) is the lowest form of world leader there is. One reason for such coddling is, of course, the fact that they wish to reserve the right to treat their own ethnic minorities the same way. To them, ethnic cleansing is a nation's sovereign right, end of story.

In any event, one could make the case that the Nobel Peace Prize already has a pretty sullied reputation, and I might have to agree with that. No reason to sully it further!
Voronwë the Faithful

Agreed.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Apparently, Malala didn't win. :(

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/1 ... 83059.html

It went to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons. Of course, that's a worthy cause, but I really wanted to see Malala win it.
Voronwë the Faithful

Me too!
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

She is very young, though.

Maybe it's not good to put such a weight in the life of a 16-year old. Maybe one day she'll be sick of being a symbol or of fighting. Maybe it's good to give her time to make choices as an adult free from the pressure a Nobel prize at this early age would bring.

I would have loved to see her win on many levels, but my motherly side was always torn about it. She has the right just to be a young girl again.

Given the circumstances of this year, the Organization was a good choice. Less emotional, but still a sign in times when chemical weapons are used again.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think I agree with Nin. If Malala chooses to pursue this work in her adult life, there will be years and years to recognize her. If she doesn't want to do that, or decides later that she doesn't, she needs to have the freedom to walk away and into a private life.