It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Nobels 2012, etc.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:22 pm 
not something I would recommend

The idea of "tweezers" made of light is so cool it sounds like it should be scifi, not sci.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:06 pm 
Meanwhile...

yovargas wrote:
The idea of "tweezers" made of light is so cool it sounds like it should be scifi, not sci.
The difference is only a matter of time.

“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”

- Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:13 pm 
bioalchemist

yovargas wrote:

So I was using my tweezers to pull apart RNA and DNA molecules and measure the forces involved.

There were two days a year when everything worked and that wasn't science fiction. Reading sci-fi is a lot less frustrating than living it, lemme tell ya.

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry has been awarded to Frances H. Arnold, George P. Smith, and Sir Gregory P. Winter for the directed evolution of enzymes and for the phage display of peptides and antibodies.
Quote:
The power of evolution is revealed through the diversity of life. The 2018 Nobel Laureates in Chemistry have taken control of evolution and used it for purposes that bring the greatest benefit to humankind. Enzymes produced through directed evolution are used to manufacture everything from biofuels to pharmaceuticals. Antibodies evolved using a method called phage display can combat autoimmune diseases and in some cases cure metastatic cancer.

Since the first seeds of life arose around 3.7 billion years ago, almost every crevice on Earth has filled with different organisms. Life has spread to hot springs, deep oceans and dry deserts, all because evolution has solved a number of chemical problems. Life’s chemical tools – proteins – have been optimised, changed and renewed, creating incredible diversity.

This year’s Nobel Laureates in Chemistry have been inspired by the power of evolution and used the same principles – genetic change and selection – to develop proteins that solve mankind’s chemical problems.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:23 pm 

Location: Small drinking village with a severe fishing problem
Frelga wrote:
yovargas wrote:
The difference is only a matter of time.

:rofl:

Wash: Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.
Zoë: We live in a spaceship, dear.

:love:

Train ticket, out bound.
Midnight departure,
Red-eye double-track.
Star filled horizons,
Beacons in the black.
Last call for boarding,
Destination: nowhere.
Two carry-on bags
Ought to get me there.
Don’t know how far
‘Til my journey’s done;
Train ticket, out bound,
Window seat for one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:10 pm 
Meanwhile...

Nobel Prize-winning physicist Leon Lederman dies at 96

Quote:
Leon Lederman, an experimental physicist who studied subatomic particles, has died at 96 after selling his Nobel Prize for $765,000 at an auction to help pay medical bills.

“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”

- Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:55 pm 

Location: Small drinking village with a severe fishing problem
Frelga wrote:
...to help pay medical bills.

:nono:

Train ticket, out bound.
Midnight departure,
Red-eye double-track.
Star filled horizons,
Beacons in the black.
Last call for boarding,
Destination: nowhere.
Two carry-on bags
Ought to get me there.
Don’t know how far
‘Til my journey’s done;
Train ticket, out bound,
Window seat for one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:04 am 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

NYtimes reported that he sold it after he turned 90 (diagnosed with Dementia), and the proceeds were “set aside to pay for future medical expenses”.

Is there a difference? Maybe yes, maybe no.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:38 am 
bioalchemist

So I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge the Nobel Prize for Literature. It would have been announced today, except it appears that there's been some drama and dysfunction in the Swedish Academy and no prize was awarded this year.

Tomorrow, the Peace Prize.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:27 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

Peace Prize awarded for fighting sexual violence.

2018 Nobel Peace Prize Awarded to Congolese Doctor and Yazidi Activist https://nyti.ms/2CtRW6s?smid=nytcore-ios-share

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:44 pm 
Hobbit

River wrote:
yovargas wrote:

So I was using my tweezers to pull apart RNA and DNA molecules and measure the forces involved.

There were two days a year when everything worked and that wasn't science fiction. Reading sci-fi is a lot less frustrating than living it, lemme tell ya.

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry has been awarded to Frances H. Arnold, George P. Smith, and Sir Gregory P. Winter for the directed evolution of enzymes and for the phage display of peptides and antibodies.
Quote:
The power of evolution is revealed through the diversity of life. The 2018 Nobel Laureates in Chemistry have taken control of evolution and used it for purposes that bring the greatest benefit to humankind. Enzymes produced through directed evolution are used to manufacture everything from biofuels to pharmaceuticals. Antibodies evolved using a method called phage display can combat autoimmune diseases and in some cases cure metastatic cancer.

Since the first seeds of life arose around 3.7 billion years ago, almost every crevice on Earth has filled with different organisms. Life has spread to hot springs, deep oceans and dry deserts, all because evolution has solved a number of chemical problems. Life’s chemical tools – proteins – have been optimised, changed and renewed, creating incredible diversity.

This year’s Nobel Laureates in Chemistry have been inspired by the power of evolution and used the same principles – genetic change and selection – to develop proteins that solve mankind’s chemical problems.

George P. Smith is with the University of Missouri, Columbia. Their campus is only a couple of miles from where I work. My younger daughter got her degree there. Wow. I had no idea there were any Nobel worthy scholars nearby. :shock: ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:52 pm 
Throw me a rope.

The Nobel Peace Prize this year seems a fitting social commentary. I applaud it.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9