The case of "Baby M".

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
vison
Best friends forever

The case of "Baby M".

Post by vison »

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Edm ... story.html

I don't know if that link is going to work, but at any rate, here's the situation:

A little girl we know as Baby M is on life support in an Edmonton hospital. Yesterday the Alberta Supreme Court decided she should be taken off and allowed to die.

Seems pretty awful, on the surface. But this baby is on life support because her parents beat and starved her (they killed another daughter) and when she dies they will be charged with murder.

I think the court made the right decision, there is no hope for any recovery. And, many, many other reasons. Which I hope get discussed in this thread.

The parents' lawyer is taking this case to the Supreme Court of Canada and there should be a quick ruling.

What do you guys think?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The parents have voided all parental rights. I don't think they should have any sort of say in the decision.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Horrible case. But I don't see where in the article it says that they killed another daughter - it says that Baby M's twin is recovering in a foster home.

I don't see how they would have any say in the matter. In the US, the baby would have been appointed a guardian ad litem to make such decisions.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

JewelSong wrote:Horrible case. But I don't see where in the article it says that they killed another daughter - it says that Baby M's twin is recovering in a foster home.

I don't see how they would have any say in the matter. In the US, the baby would have been appointed a guardian ad litem to make such decisions.
Child services have been involved from the getgo. The first news reports I heard said the other baby had died, but I guess that was a mistake. She's in a foster home, of course. They have a son, but I don't know if he's with his parents or a foster home.

It's a very hard case. Very complicated. The parents are only fighting this because they will be facing murder charges when she dies. The poor little things.

There are times . . . . :(
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

The little girl was taken off life-support and died shortly after.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Bab ... story.html

Poor little thing...
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame