Contraception and Religious Freedom (and related issues)

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:Well, that first spoonful of yogurt in the morning is the start of the slippery slope toward 600lb obese body. Yet most of us have breakfast and retain non-spherical shape.
Using obesity as an argument against worrying about slippery slopes is probably is probably not the best example in a US-centered thread. ;)

(Fun unrelated fact - IIRC, the US state with the highest obesity rates 20 years ago would now be the lowest.)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

axordil wrote:I'm suggesting they have a choice: employ people by the same rules the rest of us have to, no special treatment, or get out of the business of employing people.
But you are intervening in a contract that both parties agreed to.
axordil wrote:And while you're correct about no one being forced to work for them, that's not the point. Blacks didn't *have* to travel, or shop, or interact with society in ways that Jim Crow limited. That didn't make Jim Crow any less wrong.
Actually they did, and Jim Crow was law. A group of elected officials voted, it passed, and then everyone else had to obey. Those who wanted to serve the public without regard for skin color were barred from doing so. Conscience was overridden by legislation, just like the RCC & contraception.
axordil wrote:Employees, or potential employees, shouldn't have to worry about their 14th Amendment right to Equal Protection going pfft because a potential employer wants to enforce their religious beliefs on them.
So now joining the RCC is a condition of employment? Or not paying for contraception on your own time with your own money is a condition of employment? This is all about the Church not paying for it, not about nobody paying for it.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:
Frelga wrote:Well, that first spoonful of yogurt in the morning is the start of the slippery slope toward 600lb obese body. Yet most of us have breakfast and retain non-spherical shape.
Using obesity as an argument against worrying abou slippery slopes is probably is probably not the best example in a US-centered thread. ;)

(Fun unrelated fact - IIRC, the US state with the highest obesity rates 20 years ago would now be the lowest.)
I certainly think slippery slope should be kept in sight, in diet and in politics. But even the obese Americans need to eat.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

C_G wrote:So now joining the RCC is a condition of employment?
It is for Catholic (aka Separate) School Boards here in Canada. For all positions from teachers to administration. Admittedly this fact may be separate from this discussion.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

But you are intervening in a contract that both parties agreed to.
Sure am. The government has a vested interest in doing so, when the welfare of the public is at stake. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, the right of the government to do so in such cases has been settled law for more than 70 years.
Actually they did
You misunderstand. My point was that, simply because blacks could *survive* without being allowed the same rights as everyone else didn't make withholding those rights somehow insignificant. The issue is not what someone can make do with; the issue is that the equal protection guaranteed by the 14th amendment is being ignored.
So now joining the RCC is a condition of employment?
No, but toeing the RCC line on any number of issues is. See the links I posted in response to Anthriel. It's like the bishops, realizing they can't get their parishioners to do what they tell them, are taking it out on people they have real leverage with.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

axordil wrote:Sure am. The government has a vested interest in doing so, when the welfare of the public is at stake. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, the right of the government to do so in such cases has been settled law for more than 70 years.
And while some of us kooky libertarian types aren't thrilled with that, I'd hope that folks of any spectrum can agree that just cuz they can interfere doesn't mean they necessarily should. Considering that not having birth control paid for by your employer doesn't prevent one from being reasonably able to obtain through other means, I'd put this under the unnecessary interference column.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

"Reasonably able" if $600 per year (for some forms of the Pill) or $1200 for an IUD insertion is spare change to you. For many it isn't.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Yes, I was going to point out that birth control is really quite expensive. And that cost falls disproportionately on women.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Primula Baggins wrote:"Reasonably able" if $600 per year (for some forms of the Pill) or $1200 for an IUD insertion is spare change to you. For many it isn't.
I didn't say "spare change", I said reasonably available. Lots of things that are very important to a person's welfare, many far more expensive then that, aren't paid for by your employer. Most of a person's needs are expected to be paid for by themselves through their wages. Why should BC be treated differently?
-The Decemberists

nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Because freedom from pregnancy, with all of its associated pains and risks, is a fundamental part of one's access to medical care, which in our society IS expected to be paid by employers.

Would you apply the same argument to a church employee who had dared to participate in sexual intercourse and contract a STD for which the church did not wish to pay because the employee's behavior went against its beliefs? If medical treatment is available to that person, albeit without church subsidy, then why shouldn't they pay for this medical need through their wages (whatever the percentage of their annual income) as part of the church's access to "religious freedom"?
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

nerdanel wrote:Would you apply the same argument to a church employee who had dared to participate in sexual intercourse and contract a STD for which the church did not wish to pay because the employee's behavior went against its beliefs?
Yes, probably, as long as the church was clear and upfront about that.
-The Decemberists

nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

It would not be the first time in human history that real, live people are forced to experience pain and suffering due to other people's fatally flawed religious beliefs. I just would have hoped that we had moved beyond such cruel applications of religion in the 21st century.
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Because child-bearing is a health issue.

Because the types of birth control that use hormones are also used to treat "fun" female problems like ridiculously heavy bleeding, crippling cramps, and cysts. Weird unpredictable crap is part of being female, but most women draw the line at monthly sick days.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

And because it's no one's business but a woman's and her doctor's for which "female problems" she needs to take hormones. And make no mistake, unwanted pregnancy is damn well a female medical problem.
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Even a wanted pregnancy can be a medical issue. Even a pregnancy with NO complications requires pre-natal care and monthly visits to the doctor...assuming you want to stay healthy and have a healthy baby.

Yeah, yeah, I know - women used to give birth out in the fields and wipe the kid off with grass, nurse it, place it beneath a shady tree and go back to work. It was the natural way, right?

:halo:
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It was the natural way to have 25-30% infant mortality. You know, natural, post-partum contraception. :(
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

JewelSong wrote: Yeah, yeah, I know - women used to give birth out in the fields and wipe the kid off with grass, nurse it, place it beneath a shady tree and go back to work. It was the natural way, right?
With natural consequences. Women used to have an, on average, shorter life expectancy than men and people in general had, on average, a shorter life expectancy. Death in childbirth dragged women down and death in childhood dragged the entire population down. We see echoes of that to this day in cultures that make a big stinking deal out of a child's first birthday.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

In my current state all I can say is if I was going through this because I could not afford to buy contraceptives, I would be hopping mad. REALLY. :P

The issue always comes down to cost. I am continually shocked at how expensive even condoms are in the US compared to in India. And contraceptive pills - :shock:. When I had to take them for medical reasons, as a student, I bought a few month's supply for me from India.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Inanna wrote:In my current state all I can say is if I was going through this because I could not afford to buy contraceptives, I would be hopping mad. REALLY. :P
One of my law school classmates who is currently pregnant (second trimester) - with a child that was very much planned for and wanted - says that the experience of pregnancy has made her more vehemently pro-choice and pro-contraception than she has ever been. As much as she is looking forward to the birth of her child, she tells me that she has the clearest appreciation ever for why other women would not want to go through the physically painful experiences she's currently having and why it would be inhumane to force them to do so against their will. Makes sense to me.
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I had the same experience, Inanna. There were times when my son was an infant that the only thought that kept me from hitting I-80 East and going till i saw the other ocean was, "This was my idea."
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!