Over-Population

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

We must've gone to the same school, Ax.

Math in particular I remember going around and around and around. . . .

And English. Assignments where we had to pick the correct form of a verb and write out each entire chokingly dull sentence with the verb in place. And social studies—nothing cultural, of course, just lists of exports, maps of natural resources to copy, and faded, squawky old films about Bolivia: Land of Contrasts.

Science was my only escape—the only class where I didn't know it all already and where we did projects whose results weren't long-foregone conclusions.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

9th grade biology class was where I asked a question that the teacher couldn't answer, and I never got the answer even after my 4 year degree in biology.

When he was describing how nerves carry impulses from the brain to the muscles, I asked exactly why the muscle contracts or releases when it gets the nerve impulse. He couldn't answer, and I've never learned the answer to that particular question. Oh, I gotten lots of answers as to HOW it happens, in fine biochemical detail... but not one reason why.

I wonder if they've figured that out by now, or even try?
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

This is rather strange, while you are reminiscing about your 'school' years, I am living them. It seems however that your experiences in school are greatly different from mine. I'm in grade 12 now and so I've pretty much graduated (a couple of weeks to go) and in my school nothing is repeated. I go to what you might say is a 'very tough school' yet in reality it isn't that its really that difficult its just that most of my friends (and me sometimes) are just lazy. I mean studying a few days before exams is what every kid is trained for, that's why my school devised a plan to exploit this. I have exams every day. That way I can't just study a few days before my Finals because my grades from the other exams would be too low. Now like any other teenager I don't exactly love this plan but it does work...partly
You see kids and teenagers in particular can adept very quickly. That's why some of the kids in my class have decided to cheat instead of study. Now its one thing to cheat every once and a while and another to cheat every single school day. It has literally become an art in my school. Naturally the school has tried to catch them, even setting cameras in the exam rooms, but these students are so skilled that they can cheat for years and years and still not get caught. (I am happy to report that I personally do not cheat and condone cheating simply because the only person you're fooling is yourself). I'm sorry if I went on and on its just that you guys just got me caught up in this topic. :)
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Primula_Baggins wrote:faded, squawky old films about Bolivia: Land of Contrasts..
What is REALLY scary is that we looked FORWARD to those films. My personal fave was "Zinc Oxide and You."

Oh wait, that was a parody in Kentucky Fried Movie. Never mind. :D :D
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

superwizard, :wave:!

That didn't read like "going on and on" to me... that read like someone who is in a fairly challenging high school sharing the experience with us.

Exams EVERY DAY?

:shock:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Superwizard, if you are going to be going to Stanford next year (which you mentioned in another thread) you must be doing pretty well. :)

(By the way, if you will be in the area in late September, you should consider trying to join us at the San Francisco moot that is being organized here, at TORC, board77, and The Outer Banks.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Yeah every day from grade eight all the way to grade eleven. In grade twelve the number of exams decrease to only about three a week so that we can I guess sort of become less dependant of daily exams. But really it sounds worse than it is; the thing is when you get exams every day (its actually 1 exam aweek per subject) you are tested about that week's material which usually isn't much. Also I can't really be the one complaining about my school, in my class I have 2 friends who got in to Waterloo in Canada and a friend who got in Cornell and another in Carnegie Mellon. As for me I got into Stanford and a few others, so you see even though I hated my school I believe that in the end going there paid off. :)
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

I'll try to but I doubt it. :( The first few weeks of university are probably going to be very hectic for me! But if I can I'd be delighted to swing by.
Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Superwizard, if you are going to be going to Stanford next year (which you mentioned in another thread) you must be doing pretty well. :)
(I guess I'm a pretty good student, I've never seen myself as a genius but most of my friends are convinced of I am) :rofl:
Just a little joke :p